Sponsored

For any one with a supercharger did you upgrade the oil pump gears?

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
Last edited:

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
I did just for piece of mind. the one you posted does not include the crank sprocket. I bought the boundry gears and crank sprocket from lethal performance.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did just for piece of mind. the one you posted does not include the crank sprocket. I bought the boundry gears and crank sprocket from lethal performance.
Can you please post a link to what you purchased.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Can you please post a link to what you purchased.
Nope. For a mild street-only car no needed. If you cant sleep at night, go for it, bit wasting your dough. If you will be pumping lots of power and drag racing then it makes sense.

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Nope!

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, and for several reasons.
1. They were cheap enough (Boundary)
2. Install was free (DIY)
3. Manual car = possibility of missed shifts
4. 8k limiter is arguably pushing things
5. Propensity for doing skids (potential limiter bashing)

The FP setup you linked is still powdered metal. I know this because a friend of mine installed it, thinking it was an upgrade. He was VERY lucky that he didn’t kill his (NA) engine when it shattered. Avoid.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
yes as burkey above the boundry set from beefcake

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The chances of a bad vibration or harmonics exist even naturally aspirated if you bounce it off the limiter. If you're doing them stand alone, it's worth the cost, because if they go, it's generally much more expensive and catastrophic. If you're already in the motor with the timing apart, it's WAY more worth it. Can you live without them and be okay? Sure, lots of people do. Then again, a bunch of people get smoked. So the question is, what's your acceptable level of risk?

it's kinda like smashing a random without a condom. Can you do it and not bring home something you can't wash off? Sure. Lots of people do. Is it smart? Not really.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
The chances of a bad vibration or harmonics exist even naturally aspirated if you bounce it off the limiter. If you're doing them stand alone, it's worth the cost, because if they go, it's generally much more expensive and catastrophic. If you're already in the motor with the timing apart, it's WAY more worth it. Can you live without them and be okay? Sure, lots of people do. Then again, a bunch of people get smoked. So the question is, what's your acceptable level of risk?

it's kinda like smashing a random without a condom. Can you do it and not bring home something you can't wash off? Sure. Lots of people do. Is it smart? Not really.
But muh anecdotal evidence!

Generally speaking if you're asking then you're worried. If you're worried then you should be replacing them. MMR has both the OPG and timing gear for $300. On my last motor failure my OPG looked great. My crankshaft split down the middle into the timing gear and chewed it up pretty good but the billet piece held together. Quality parts where it counts can save you additional damage and heartache when other parts fail.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
But muh anecdotal evidence!

Generally speaking if you're asking then you're worried. If you're worried then you should be replacing them. MMR has both the OPG and timing gear for $300. On my last motor failure my OPG looked great. My crankshaft split down the middle into the timing gear and chewed it up pretty good but the billet piece held together. Quality parts where it counts can save you additional damage and heartache when other parts fail.
It's not anecdotal if you know people personally who've had them fail. I'm even friends with someone who had a set of boundaries fail. It's not some mythical unicorn.

And it's not like the evap core where if it goes, you just lose some feature and then spend money fixing just that system. When OPG's go, it usually wrecks a bunch of other stuff and puts the car down for an extended time.

Everyone is free to do as they will and manage whatever risks they recognize. Like I said, you have the motor open, it's almost stupid not to swap them. But I can see the resistance or roll of the dice if it's a stand alone venture.