Sponsored

Engine and vehicle break in period for 2020 GT350R

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Oh you can put the petal to the metal after 100 miles but not for an extended period.
The closer I get to 1K the more my car feels the need to run...if that makes sense.
BTW
Your first sports car and you went with an R? I like your style.
Be careful of those wheels.
Okay that makes sense. I just never head of the term 'WOT' before, this is all new to me.

Thanks, not an R but the GT350 HE. Was going to go with the R but decided against it because of the non heated seats with the Reacros and the rear seat delete. No heated seats are a deal breaker for me. I wanted the wing, but that was the only thing I wanted from the R, I didnt care about the carbon fiber wheels.

I wanted something serious for my first sports car, I just cant stand the sound of my 4 cylinder and the pathetic power, I told myself that whatever car I get, it needs to have at least 500hp. I had to clench my butt way too many times because I misjudged how slow my car is trying to pass someone.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BostonDMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP, 2009 Porsche 911 CS, 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, 2017 Alfa Romeo 4C, 2017 Jeep SRT, 1998 Porsche Boxster (race car), 2017 Audi Allroad, 1998 Mercedes GL450, 2016 Subaru crosstrek
When they rebuilt the motor on my 1988 911 race car the advice from the mechanic was: ā€œbreak her in at the next raceā€..... I did and the motor survived......for many races till I upgraded my race car...... if Porsche motor can do it, why not Fordā€™s?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
750 is an extreme example but sure; if you're at idle and mat it, you're at WOT. WOT is WOT regardless of RPM. I think a more common scenario would be at a considerably higher RPM (say 1500) and then going WOT further through the rpm range (e.g. the extended period of WOT the manual warns against).
I appreciate this perspective but itā€™s not gonna stay at 1500 RPMs very long. If you let it go to the rev limiter and keep it there for, say 5 or more seconds, then itā€™s no longer at 1500. It probably stayed at 1500 when you mashed the pedal to WOT for a second, if that.

I think itā€™s a common sense interpretation that ā€œextended WOT maneuversā€ doesnā€™t mean short blips at any RPM.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate this perspective but itā€™s not gonna stay at 1500 RPMs very long. If you let it go to the rev limiter and keep it there for, say 5 or more seconds, then itā€™s no longer at 1500. It probably stayed at 1500 when you mashed the pedal to WOT for a second, if that.

I think itā€™s a common sense interpretation that ā€œextended WOT maneuversā€ doesnā€™t mean short blips at any RPM.
Going back to the original comment I made, I believe Ford wrote it as WOT instead of an RPM range to prevent people from being abusive in the first 100 miles. If you arent at WOT, you probably are spending much time in the higher rpm ranges. The context wasnt to say it would be at WOT for a second or two and then back off (not sure where that came from).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shelbyfam

Shelbyfam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
BTW
Your first sports car and you went with an R? I like your style.
Be careful of those wheels.
Yep, pics will be forthcoming. Yea, I wanted to get a neat vehicle that gives me a smile from ear to ear every time I drove it. I test drove a GT350 years ago and still smile thinking about it and I have driven some neat exotics. The Shelby is special for a reason. I am so excited to get it this coming week.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Thanks, not an R but the GT350 HE. Was going to go with the R but decided against it because of the non heated seats with the Reacros and the rear seat delete. No heated seats are a deal breaker for me. I wanted the wing, but that was the only thing I wanted from the R, I didnt care about the carbon fiber wheels.
I was referring to the OP in regards to the R.
Good on you with the HE. I was going to order the same but decided Iā€™m not worthy ;-)
What I mean is, I know Iā€™m going to really drive this thing and not obsess on keeping it looking new forever, but thatā€™s just me.
Iā€™ll enjoy seeing pictures of yours.

OP
OP
Shelbyfam

Shelbyfam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I was referring to the OP in regards to the R.
Good on you with the HE. I was going to order the same but decided Iā€™m not worthy ;-)
What I mean is, I know Iā€™m going to really drive this thing and not obsess on keeping it looking new forever, but thatā€™s just me.
Iā€™ll enjoy seeing pictures of yours.
I wanted to get the last year of the GT350 model setup this way and the iconic silver with racing stripes and black roof fit the ticket. Mine arrived yesterday at the dealership. The only thing I would have changed is the addition of the rear seat as I have a full brood of little ones that would enjoy the driving experience just as much as I would have...now to find a rear seat kit to install :)
615833840001.jpg

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
You'll see all kinds of recommendations that people have come up with here but when it comes down to it, I'd do what is listed in the owners manual (they're the ones that spent millions in R&D to figure out the best practice).
In my own POV this is the way to do it and exactly what I did to break my car and every car Iā€™ve ever owned. It amuses me how a simple tried and true process like a vehicle break in can morph into something else because others know better. Not flat out saying there is no merit to an alternate way but looking at break in procedures for new cars in general the common thread I see is to go easy on it for a specified amount of time usually varying from 500-1000 miles. Nothing new or unique in how to break in a Shelby.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I wanted to get the last year of the GT350 model setup this way and the iconic silver with racing stripes and black roof fit the ticket. Mine arrived yesterday at the dealership. The only thing I would have changed is the addition of the rear seat as I have a full brood of little ones that would enjoy the driving experience just as much as I would have...now to find a rear seat kit to install :)
615833840001.jpg
Sheā€™s a beauty.
Youā€™re going to be blown away every time you drive it.
Again, be careful of those real expensive wheels.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
In my own POV this is the way to do it and exactly what I did to break my car and every car Iā€™ve ever owned. It amuses me how a simple tried and true process like a vehicle break in can morph into something else because others know better. Not flat out saying there is no merit to an alternate way but looking at break in procedures for new cars in general the common thread I see is to go easy on it for a specified amount of time usually varying from 500-1000 miles. Nothing new or unique in how to break in a Shelby.
I think that alot of the of unconventional methods and the mysticism behind breaking in the engine is because of mass hysteria from oil consumption issues and engine failures. I can see now why Ford decided to go with 'Voodoo' for the name of the engine :crackup:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Shelbyfam

Shelbyfam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Man that is sharp!! Love the Iconic Silver on an Iconic car!
Have fun!
Thanks, for the support and feedback. I am enthralled with the responsibility of "breaking in" this iconic silver Shelby! Sounds like I just need to go easy on it. Would anyone suggest getting the first oil change done earlier than the regular maintenance cycle whatever that is 3K or 5K miles?

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Changing mine @ the 1K mark. Already have Amsoil filter and Signature 5w-50 ready

SlowMoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R (toy), 2011 Audi S4 (6mt) (DD), 2015 z/28 (sold), 2008 535i sold, 2011 audi S4 (6mt) sold 1995 mustang saleen 5.0 sold, 1989 5.0 Mustang Fox body (stolen)
I agree completely on following the manual. I did stumble across this video and thought this guys discussion/method on seating the rings was interesting though. Not sure if there is any weight to it but figured id share just in case.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Keep in mind that the procedures in that book contain a lot of liability and other legal factors, and not just what's best for the engine. Trust me, I know everyone has a "friend" or "this guy that used to build engines growing up", and so on and so on. I've been around a while and turned a lot of wrenches in my life, and I have never heard of taking it easy on an engine to break it in. Watch someone that has access to a dyno and can break one in that way. I agree, to each his own, and you do you. Not a scientific study for sure, but on the surface, it sure does seem like all the track rats around here have had far less engine issues than everyone else.

And when all else fails....Just. Drive. The. Damn. Car.
Sponsored