Sponsored

Unable to pass "safety" part of inspection anymore due to off-road H-pipe.

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
I used faux cats on my TSB headers then O2 simulators at a right angle, it works and looks legit....clean...
Sponsored

olerodder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/A10
Correct, thats the CVN I was mentioning. So what a lot of guys who cheat, just plug in the same type of car that they have but fully emissions capable. The cheat part is not using the owners car.
To use another car other than your own is a little hard, as the VIN is verified before testing. Back in the mid 70's I did this with a 76 TransAM that I had put a 74 SD exhaust system with headers on. I used my friends brothers car, changed license plates and passed the emission testing...it's a little hard to do it today.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
I hate the fact that they use the word “modify”. It’s so vague. Technically you didn’t modify your exhaust system, you changed or replaced it.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be constructed, equipped, maintained and operated...[according to] requirements of this title for an emission control system...
What are those requirements? If an "emission control system" under this title includes a catalytic converter then you are illegal based on this clause.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I live in PA also and had an "H" pipe installed to rid myself of the resonator and have had not inspection issues. Maybe find another shop...

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Having lived in a testing state in my younger years, I know the test stations have a great deal of authority in this area. It doesn't matter if the law doesn't require a visual/safety inspection, the fact is they did one and you failed. The test station has full say on that matter.

When I had to do smog tests, there was an appeal process in place so people who's car failed wouldn't lose there ability to drive to work, however you had to make a reasonable attempt to make repairs to pass the test 1st. I don't know if PA has such a process, but it could be worth looking into.

You can try going to a different test station, but if they use a shared database then they'll know you failed already at a different station, and most likely send you back.

My advice, fix it properly and pass the test honestly. As someone else pointed out, modern high flows cats don't lose much power, it isn't worth the problems trying to cheat the system going without them.
Sponsored