Sponsored

Will a 2020 GT500 half shaft fit 2015-2019?

Eric5899

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 401A
Is there a left and right or are they the same on each side?
Different part numbers for each side. From what I've read in the forums, only the left has issues with horsepower. Not sure if only upgrading the left will cause any problems.
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a left and right or are they the same on each side?
There is a noticeable diameter difference between passenger & drivers side, just like all other models of the car. I will say, they seem quite a bit larger than my 2017 premium GT axles.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
It isn't half shaft diameter that would be the issue.

I don't believe there has been a change in length or spline count at the differential or at the outer hub. They may have been optimized for fitment in some way but without seeing one that's difficult to say.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
It isn't half shaft diameter that would be the issue.

I don't believe there has been a change in length or spline count at the differential or at the outer hub. They may have been optimized for fitment in some way but without seeing one that's difficult to say.
Right, I was referring to gfcobra04's comment about if there was a left & right. As with all versions of the car, the drivers side is noticeably larger in diameter than the passengers.

We won't know if the GT500's axels fit other versions until someone tries installing them. If I were a betting man, I would think they are splined the same, and will fit. I'm guessing they are just beefier.

Sponsored

Eric5899

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 401A
Received this response from the Ford Performance. Techline today. I submitted it a couple of weeks ago. Nothing so far on the GT500 half shaft fitment.

" I heard back from Engineering on the 2020 GT500 Axles.

They are working with them now, testing etc… no response at this time.

Contact us again in a month or so and we can see if they have an answer for you."

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a bit disapointing. The engineers behind the GT500 knew probably 2+ years ago what they intended to use (half shaft wise) and how they compared to or were related to the shafts used on the GT350, as well as a regular Mustang GT. At the very least there are CAD drawings. Ford/Ford Performance won't share them with you and not everyone there has access to everything. But find someone that does have access, that actually understands what they'd be looking at, and even if they weren't involved in the GT500 program they should be able to verify fitment. It isn't that difficult at all. The response you got is from someone that doesn't have access and/or doesn't know how to approach somebody at Ford that does.

If you really want to know, keep digging but elsewhere.

Eric5899

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 401A
That's a bit disapointing. The engineers behind the GT500 knew probably 2+ years ago what they intended to use (half shaft wise) and how they compared to or were related to the shafts used on the GT350, as well as a regular Mustang GT. At the very least there are CAD drawings. Ford/Ford Performance won't share them with you and not everyone there has access to everything. But find someone that does have access, that actually understands what they'd be looking at, and even if they weren't involved in the GT500 program they should be able to verify fitment. It isn't that difficult at all. The response you got is from someone that doesn't have access and/or doesn't know how to approach somebody at Ford that does.

If you really want to know, keep digging but elsewhere.
I wonder if the delay in confirming is also an inventory control tactic. They may not want all of us aftermarket parts buyers dipping into their replacement parts inventory for GT500s yet. Fitment itself seems like a very easy question to answer for someone at Ford.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is why I suggest looking elsewhere. I'd try the aftermarket supplier to FP for their halfshaft upgrade kits. They know exactly who to speak with at Ford that has a clue. Just be sure to be specific about any requests, ie dimensions, etc, instead of just asking "do they fit?"

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
If you need half shafts for actual power you should be looking at Ford performance half shafts or drive shaft shop why chance the GT500 half shafts being weak just to save what sounds like to be a few hundred dollars. Not worth it. Personally ford performance half shafts to me are good but the question on what they are truly rated for is confusing. I’ve seen 800hp. I’ve seen 1000hp. If you truly need half shafts just buying a slightly upgraded part isn’t going to change anything. With radials they’re still gonna break same as the gt350 half shafts. Street driving unless using a truly sticky tire on the street can function with stock half shafts no issue.

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
They GT500 Axles will not fit the GT because the Knuckle, Hub & brakes are all different.

Feel free to DM me or call me up with any questions.
Terry “Beefcake” Reeves - 855-827-7223
www.beefcakeracing.com
#beefcakeracing #teambeefcake

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That is why I suggest looking elsewhere. I'd try the aftermarket supplier to FP for their halfshaft upgrade kits. They know exactly who to speak with at Ford that has a clue. Just be sure to be specific about any requests, ie dimensions, etc, instead of just asking "do they fit?"
That would be Gforce (out of Lenexa, KS). A product search shoW’s that the GT500 has its own link, but the product description says 2015+

https://gforce1320.com/product/mustang-s550-2015-outlaw-axles-left-and-right-copy/

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I recently bought and installed the FP half shafts in my Bullitt and they are indeed very beefy. I believe Kelly @ KellTrac has broken GT500 half shafts on a 3200 rpm launch.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm of the mindset that the 500 half shafts won't fit the 350. I remember researching replacement boots and cv rebuild parts and they were not the same. I have several sets of 500 spare half shafts in the garage, so if someone has 350 half, let me know and we can compare specs.
Sponsored