Sponsored

Inner Edge of Tire - Excessive Wear

Ginger1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
2018 Ecoboost Premium. Bone stock except for KN filter and American Muscle strut brace. Went in to have a nail pulled out of a tire and they told me it was unsafe to fix as the inner edge of the tires - all 4 upon inspection - were too worn on the inner edges. Car is not raced and never been in an accident.

Factory 265-35-20 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. Could it be the camber is the same from the factory as 17 18 or 19 inch and therefore worse inner edge wear?

Pic of one of the tires. Note tread is about the same across the tire - i.e. same remaining tread at all the wear bars.

Your comments?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s74zm287qcrnlu/IMG_2589.jpeg?dl=0
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
When was the last time it had the alinement checked/done ?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If the nail wasn’t directly in the shoulder there where the wear is, then the shop is just trying to hard sell you a new set of tires. Find another shop to work with. If the nail was in that part of the tire then ok I guess.

as for the wear, I wish I could help, its more common than you would imagine. I’ve replaced a couple of sets of street tires that corded a bit early on the very inside edge (I do run a lot of camber tho). My guess is that as heavy as these cars are, some tires are not stiff enough and flex onto that part of the tire and wear it early, even with stock camber and reasonable toe. Have the alignment checked when you replace the tires for good measure.

OP
OP
Ginger1

Ginger1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
If the nail wasn’t directly in the shoulder there where the wear is, then the shop is just trying to hard sell you a new set of tires. Find another shop to work with. If the nail was in that part of the tire then ok I guess.

as for the wear, I wish I could help, its more common than you would imagine. I’ve replaced a couple of sets of street tires that corded a bit early on the very inside edge (I do run a lot of camber tho). My guess is that as heavy as these cars are, some tires are not stiff enough and flex onto that part of the tire and wear it early, even with stock camber and reasonable toe. Have the alignment checked when you replace the tires for good measure.
Thanks. I figured as much. The nail was in the other (outer) shoulder, almost in the groove between the shoulder and the middle tread. I think they could have repaired it.

Note: All four tires are worn like this.

If I inflate a few psi above recommended (35 square per the door jamb sticker), do you think that would help in the future?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I figured as much. The nail was in the other (outer) shoulder, almost in the groove between the shoulder and the middle tread. I think they could have repaired it.

Note: All four tires are worn like this.

If I inflate a few psi above recommended (35 square per the door jamb sticker), do you think that would help in the future?
you could try higher PSI, the main downside being too much center tread wear (and a slightly rougher ride), but if the tires are dying early due to shoulder wear, the center wear isn’t a concern unless its wearing faster there than on the inside edge (which isn’t the case yet). I’d start maybe 2 psi higher than regular and see how it goes for the next set of tires, and report back in a year if it helped.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500