Sponsored

oil consumption

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
I have about 7,500 miles on the Bullitt now, and oil consumption seems to have stabilized at a quart every 2,500 to 3,000 miles. It sounds a bit high, but this is my first Mustang in 50 years so not much to go on. Normal, or do I have an engine that likes to drink? I've been using Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 5w-20, With changes at 1,000, 4000 and 7,500 miles.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It's on the limit of what I'd consider 'normal', although manufacturers like to tell you up to 1-qt every 1K miles is normal, which is a load of BS :). You didn't say how you drive your car, but if it's not hard at all, then it's excessive in my book. You also said it 'stablized', meaning what? That it was consuming even more before? How much? Please give us details.

I'm taking mine on another 300+ trip tomorrow, and will come back home with almost 900 miles. So far it has consumed almost nothing in 500+ miles. And I blame that on a bad PCV valve, which I changed at 200+ miles, and so far no extra consumption. We'll see after tomorrow. Finally, I read that oil consumption gets better in most Mustang Coyotes when they consume oil, so let's hope that's the case with yours too. Keep us posted. By the way, I'm going with M1 0/30 when I change it at 1K too. Oh, does your car make the infamous 'tick'? If not, then I prefer oil consumption over that, so consider yourself lucky. If it has both afflictions, then never mind. Ha ha.

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
No BBQ tick! Around town i romp on it, but yesterday I drove it from SoCal to NW Montana (1,300 miles) and it burned about a half a quart - maybe a little less. A quick 18 hour run, but it was in 6th at ~90/100 mph so under 3,000 rpm.

I did notice a little oil film on the brake/clutch fluid reservoir, but no drips on the garage floor. Looked clean underneath when I put it on the lift and changed the oil today.

frankeric16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
3,100 miles 1 year 8 months, it rains a lot here in NC & the high temps & humidity is not ideal Bullitt weather.
First 1,100 miles burned a quart breaking the motor in: no hot rodding! Had dealer change the oil & filter. Burned another 1/2 quart up to 2,000. Then, & don't know how it's related, but I installed a JBL Oil can replacing the PVC. From the 2,000 to the current 3,100 no loss of oil. When it goes out I run it up to 6,800 rpms- through the gears maxed 2 to 4th. Still love'n the car! PS those jacking rails changed the feel of the car esp on hard turns!

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
All the catch can does is prevent the oil from going to the intake; that's all. Absolutely zero to do with prevention. It probably stopped on its own after break-in. By the way, the PCV valve was bad on my brand new car (noisy at idle), so I changed it after arriving home around 200 miles. Zero oil consumption so far with 800+ on the clock at the moment, so pleased with that. It does have the annoying 2K rattle, unfortunately... but most do. Hope to also dodge the 'bullitt' with the damn 'tick', which is the one that worries me the most, since it can also be something serious. We'll see if my engine gets it.

Sponsored

RozzGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just did my 2nd oil change today, 4600 miles. Did the first one at 1300, no drop in oil. This time however I was 2.5 qts low after 3300 miles. Only about a tablespoon or so in the catch can. I run Pennzoil platinum ultra 5w-30. Just under a quart per 1k seems excessive. I am e-85 tuned and don't baby it. However I always make sure I'm up to operating temp before more spirited driving and its never seen the limiter. Going to monitor it going forward and take it in if it doesn't chill out.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yeah, that's a lot of oil consumption. But what's really strange is you didn't have any initially, and now that much. Haven't heard that before, until now. I was already claiming victory over the oil consumption demons, since my car hasn't consumed basically any in over 800 miles. Just hope I didn't celebrate too early. Ha ha. I'll switch to M1 0/30 around 1K miles. And want to change the MT-82 and Torsen too, to get all the assembly and break-in crap out of there.

Hey, how about the infamous 'tick'? If you have it, when did it rear its ugly head? That's what I'm most afraid of after the first (and 2nd) oil change, but now, thanks to you, will be worried about oil consumption too. Ha ha.

RozzGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yeah, that's a lot of oil consumption. But what's really strange is you didn't have any initially, and now that much. Haven't heard that before, until now. I was already claiming victory over the oil consumption demons, since my car hasn't consumed basically any in over 800 miles. Just hope I didn't celebrate too early. Ha ha. I'll switch to M1 0/30 around 1K miles. And want to change the MT-82 and Torsen too, to get all the assembly and break-in crap out of there.

Hey, how about the infamous 'tick'? If you have it, when did it rear its ugly head? That's what I'm most afraid of after the first (and 2nd) oil change, but now, thanks to you, will be worried about oil consumption too. Ha ha.
I have the tick and the 2k rattle, my main reason for the 1k oil change was to add ceratec, fixed the tick, not the rattle. Tick showed up at 500 miles, before my first oil change. Rattle shortly after. Decided I am just going to send it, if it pops so be it.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Are you sure you didn't have the rattle before? My guess is that you did, and just didn't hear it before, like it happened to me... until I used the exhaust in quiet mode :). I think it's always there, whatever it is. The tick can rear its ugly head at any time though. So which oil did you use at 1K miles? And was the tick still there, before you added Ceratec, or immediately put it in there without checking first? And how bad was the tick? I'm not sure if I'd use that stuff even as a last resort, but hope I don't have to agonize with that decision. Ha ha.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
First oil change at around 5000 miles. Oil level still within the hash marks. Next one at just over 10,000 miles. No consumption. Oil used is 5W20 Motorcraft semi-synthetic and filter is Motorcraft 500-S. I heard the 2K rattle since pulling of the lot. Normal driving usage although I haven't driven it much this year.

Sponsored

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - Only put 3800 miles on it last season(knee surgery) and added 1/2 qt. during that time to keep it topped off. Would have waited until 5000 miles but decided to change at 3800 when putting in winter storage. Used free Ford oil change with 5/20 Ford semi-synthetic blend oil. At 6000 miles now and no oil usage so far this season. No noticeable engine noise or other problems except small leak from loose tubing on brake/clutch reservoir that seems to be common. That was pushed in place at the beginning of season and has stayed in place thus far. I'll watch to see if it loosens over next winter when tubing material contracts in cold weather. Getting a software update notice with recommendation to get App for my phone. This luddite doesn't have a cell phone so will call dealer to see if they will do it for me. Overall a great car thus far. Didn't get Recaro seats and very happy with standard seats - love memory and cooling features and easy entry/exit. Just took a trip and wife said she was very comfortable as well. She drove it on return half of trip and had no problems with clutch with original spring. That little rpm assist when releasing clutch worked great for her. We deleted hill assist and like it better without it. Dropped tire pressure in this hot weather and that smoothed ride a bit - 35 front, 34 rear at driving temperature. Really no complaints or issues. Happy travels to all... Bruce

Turbo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt DHG; Electronics, MR, Recaros, Cover, 2017 Explorer Sport Ingot Silver, 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 used no oil for the break-in driving we did. It was babied, no full throttle or lugging it. We kept the RPMs below 5000. Ford serviced it at 1,666 miles with full synthetic and filter. Now that we are actively hammering it, (wife won't tell me how high she has revved it) but I have barely hit 6500 RPMs so far. Now with this heat, extended use of A/C and the spirited driving, at 2,500 miles it may have used 1/2 of a quart. I haven't added a catch can though I did on my 17 Explorer Sport and it fills it halfway between oil changes. I will keep a close eye on the oil level but it is not anything to worry about. No funny ticks or knocks. I do want to know what my oil temperature is, that is most important. Has anybody figured out a way without adding a GT350 oil temp gauge?

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
I do want to know what my oil temperature is, that is most important. Has anybody figured out a way without adding a GT350 oil temp gauge?
I gave up and added the GT 350 center gage cluster to get oil temp. Of all the dumb things the Bullit's gages can measure, why OT wasn't included by Ford engineering or product management is beyond me.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Amen to that. But keep in mind it's not real oil temperature, but a calculated one based on other inputs. Not that useful, but better than nothing :D.
Sponsored