Sponsored

Mustang Q2 2020 sales numbers (incl. Camaro & Challenger)

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Good numbers for lock down conditions. And camaro slips closer and closer to oblivion :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
In May I was considering trading my 2018 PP1 on a 2020 PP2 or a camaro SS 1LE. Looking within a 5 hour drive of Pittsburgh there were WAY more Mustangs available than Camaros. So part of the sales difference may be just that more Mustangs were available to buy.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Plain and simple... the Camaro doesn't sell well because it doesn't look good. Nobody drives a vehicle based solely on performance. If it had 2000 horsepower but looked like a 50 year old piece of bread, it isn't going to sell. Simple as that.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Plain and simple... the Camaro doesn't sell well because it doesn't look good. Nobody drives a vehicle based solely on performance. If it had 2000 horsepower but looked like a 50 year old piece of bread, it isn't going to sell. Simple as that.
That’s part of it for sure...I test drove a 2018 Camaro SS when I was considering buying that or the Mustang a couple years ago. Took the Camaro home to show my family and our 16 year old son said meh, it doesn’t look like anything. Looks just like a normal boring car.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Don't think about advertisment as pure TV spots. Think about everything you read and hear about a car. Just remember the press releases about the Mustang this year alone
- GT350+R Heritage Edition
- Announcment of Mustang being best selling sportscar again
- Announcing the camod Mach 1
- Revealing the Mach 1
- Revealing how they reimagined the Mach 1 logo
That's already 5 times that Ford send out big press releases to journalists, magazines, etc. If you read any online site about cars or read any automobile magazine, you will most likely stumple upon them. And they usally give out tons of cool press pictures, b-roll footage for youtube channels, etc. And that's not including any speculation/sighting of 2nd refresh and Mustang Mach-E articles.

Now compare that what Chevy released for the Camaro. The last press release was May 2019 when they announced that fixed the frontend for MY2020 - And they released one, one single image of the new SS and it's even just a photoshop work on a MY2019 picture. You know that the Camaro had a special edition called shock & steel? No? Nearly nobody heard of it, because it was never announced by Chevy nor does any pictures or footage exist. It just was thrown silently to the build & price tool.

Marketing does not work like "I just saw this ad, now I go out and buy this car" - It's a slow and steady process. You hear the name, read a thing here and there, and when you are in the market for a new car, you think about that subconsciously. As a comparison look at the C8, everybody is talking about this car and every few months there is a new thing that make the C8 appear in all media again.

Here in Europe, they actually started selling the Camaro again after a 2 year pause. But nobody knows that, because there is still no press release from Chevy. Only way to find out is to directly seek contact with one of the very few Chevy dealers in the country, so they can tell you that the Camaro is available again :headbang:
I see your point. You're absolutely right that Mustang has much more "mind-share" than the Camaro. I agree that heritage plays a huge part in that mind-share. People complain that the Mach1 is a part bin car, and while it is, it's also a brilliant move by Ford. You keep a limited-edition special variant available always to ensure there's prestige and desirability behind the brand. Whether it's the GT350, the Bullitt, the Mach1, or even the California Special to an extent, the Mustang always has something to name. Dodge is also doing that well by releasing a parts bin car or putting the Hellcat engine in everything.

I wonder if Chevy understands that the "1SS, 2SS, 1LE" monikers just don't resonate with folks outside of the Camaro brand. Also, the new front end didn't help things at all.

Reactions: Ace

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Indeed. I've not driven a Camaro, but the motoring press would lead me to believe the Camaro is the better performer and certainly the better driver's car, if only by a small(ish) degree.

The Mustang, though, is a better car to live with day by day, especially in terms of trunk capacity (and entry), interior space and visibility. These are the sort of things that are much more important to the "average Joe" who is just looking for a sporty, good looking car. The sort of person who isn't brand loyal. There are many more of those "average Joes" out there than hardcore enthusiasts and that, to me, is why the Mustang sells so well, and has always done so :like:
This ^ there is way more of the average joe type buyers that buy these cars than people on forums dedicated to them think. I think most people on the forums forget that they bulk of the sales come from the lower trims, so things like useability, looks, all that stuff is more important than performance. Camaro might be an amazing performer but its a bad coupe. Mustang and Challenger are better coupes and IMO that is why they haven't seen such a downward trend.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Depends how you measure cars. Sure the 1LE is a coupe ticks quicker than the comparable GT mustang around a road course stock. Ford opted to lose this fight at that price point due to the GT350. They were not going to make a 50k GT comparable performance wise to their 70k car. It is what it is. Dragstrip the high reving coyote comes out on top a10 to a10. The stang has perfect visibility looking out at all angles from inside. We won’t discuss the camaro...

Sponsored

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
Very low inventory doesn’t help, either. Don’t forget that there was a strike at GM before the ‘Rona shutdown.
There is also a car buyers strike on demand for Camaro. Face it, C6G is a swing and miss.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Very low inventory doesn’t help, either. Don’t forget that there was a strike at GM before the ‘Rona shutdown.
Camaro inventory was super high for a very long time. At least a year or two. I know I've read several articles about high inventories on Camaros. It's just that people don't want them. There's never been a shortage of Camaros that made it difficult to find one.

You might be thinking of Corvette. Now for the C8, there's definitely a shortage.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Depends how you measure cars. Sure the 1LE is a coupe ticks quicker than the comparable GT mustang around a road course stock. Ford opted to lose this fight at that price point due to the GT350. They were not going to make a 50k GT comparable performance wise to their 70k car. It is what it is. Dragstrip the high reving coyote comes out on top a10 to a10. The stang has perfect visibility looking out at all angles from inside. We won’t discuss the camaro...
The 1LE and the PP2 Mustang are a virtual dead heat. The GT350 is quicker.

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
A shame about the Camaro. Their refresh and then re-refresh kind of hurt them a lot. 2016-2018 model was the best looking one then they fucked it all up.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
The 1LE and the PP2 Mustang are a virtual dead heat. The GT350 is quicker.
More than 2-3 laps I’d put my money on the 1LE. It ought to be for 70k plus....
Sponsored