Sponsored

Mustang GT vs ... (Post whatever you've raced and how it went)

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Tore a modded STI a new one in my roushcharged 2015 today, which has been a goal for the prior several years while I was driving my Focus ST. Was a 40 roll and not even close.
I see a decent amount of STIs around here. One time a while back I was at a light next to one, and even with his AWD he didn't want anything to do with me - even from a dig (he was checking out my car, though). I took off about 1/3 throttle to test where he was at when the light turned green, and he lazily left the light.

One of these days I'll grab a 35 mph roll with one and give another STI owner another reason to dislike Mustangs.
Sponsored

ImBetterDude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 2
I have a LOT to learn about throttle management, car is an absolute blast to drive but sliding around sideways and searching for traction isn't exactly the fastest route from point A to point B. This blower kit is supposedly relatively tame (Phase 2 Roush) when it comes to the conservative canned tune, but man...even with 325s on the rear wheels I'm struggling!

So I'll pray on rice rockets and what not for awhile until I understand better how to transfer power to pavement in this car, and then I'll start tangling with big game.

EDIT: Not to say that sliding around sideways when you slam on the gas pedal in 2nd or 3rd isn't fun, it's a total riot...it's just not the ideal way to race, haha

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a LOT to learn about throttle management, car is an absolute blast to drive but sliding around sideways and searching for traction isn't exactly the fastest route from point A to point B. This blower kit is supposedly relatively tame (Phase 2 Roush) when it comes to the conservative canned tune, but man...even with 325s on the rear wheels I'm struggling!

So I'll pray on rice rockets and what not for awhile until I understand better how to transfer power to pavement in this car, and then I'll start tangling with big game.

EDIT: Not to say that sliding around sideways when you slam on the gas pedal in 2nd or 3rd isn't fun, it's a total riot...it's just not the ideal way to race, haha
One thing you can do is upgrade your tires if you don't already have R rated drag radials and maybe get the enthusiast stop the hop kit. Tire compound will yield a greater benefit than width. But, if you have a legit 700hp on a rear wheeled front engine car and you don't have traction issues on the street, no matter the tire and setup, I would question your claimed power level. Even very light mid engine hyper cars with 700hp crank can't get traction all the time. The lambo is even awd and watch the below video. Thing is all over the place.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
Hmmm. Your sig says 410 whp for your BMW. Are you trying to claim that is 500 crank hp, or have you done more mods since then? 410 rwhp is about what a stock 2018 GT puts down, which is rated at 460 hp, although makes a bit more crank horsepower than that most of the time. 410 rwhp is about 465-470 crank hp.
Yes. it would be around 500+ crank hp. I don't know where you came up with your calculation. I suppose 410 rwhp would be 465 crank if you think a car has less than 12% drive train loss? Typical rule of thumb is around 15-20% drive train loss. That would put a 500HP car in the 400-425 rwhp range. I'd say 410rwhp is right in the ball park, wouldn't you? My 335 is also AWD.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Yes. it would be around 500+ crank hp. I don't know where you came up with your calculation. I suppose 410 rwhp would be 465 crank if you think a car has less than 12% drive train loss? Typical rule of thumb is around 15-20% drive train loss. That would put a 500HP car in the 400-425 rwhp range. I'd say 410rwhp is right in the ball park, wouldn't you? My 335 is also AWD.
I didn't realize your car was AWD when I made my original post. I agree your AWD likely has more drivetrain loss than a RWD car. I can see 15-17%+ drivetrain loss for a modern AWD. Assuming, say, 16%, that would be: 410/0.84 = 488 hp, so maybe your 500 hp estimate isn't too far off. I do believe for RWD cars that 15-20% is antiquated. Even 20 years ago the rule of thumb was 12-13% for manual cars, and 15% for automatics (RWD). Most dynos I've seen for modern cars, knowing factory hp ratings, puts the drive train loss in the 11-14% range, with autos being at the higher end of that range and manuals in the lower end.

I.e., I've seen multiple baseline GT350 dynos in the 465-470 rwhp range (465/0.88 = 528 crank hp, rated at 526 hp). Many 2018+ Mustang GTs dyno 410-420+ rwhp. I think the Gen 3 Coyote is a little underrated, but assuming 13% on 420 rwhp (420/0.87)= 483 crank hp. I think that's believable but I wouldn't think it gets much higher than that at the crank. I've also seen 6th Gen Camaro ZL1s in the 565 rwhp range (565/0.87 = 650 crank hp).

Sponsored

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only 16% loss for an AWD is pretty optimistic. They have found that there is a pretty big difference in power when switching these cars between AWD and 2WD on back to back dyno runs via programming. It was in the 7% range or more loss when in AWD mode. You also can't really look at manufacture ratings vs dyno results as any indication of drive train loss. Manufacture ratings are all over the placed with some being underrated and some being overrated. The 99 Cobra (overrated) and the 03 Cobra (underrated) are perfect examples.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I didn't realize your car was AWD when I made my original post. I agree your AWD likely has more drivetrain loss than a RWD car. I can see 15-17%+ drivetrain loss for a modern AWD. Assuming, say, 16%, that would be: 410/0.84 = 488 hp, so maybe your 500 hp estimate isn't too far off. I do believe for RWD cars that 15-20% is antiquated. Even 20 years ago the rule of thumb was 12-13% for manual cars, and 15% for automatics (RWD). Most dynos I've seen for modern cars, knowing factory hp ratings, puts the drive train loss in the 11-14% range, with autos being at the higher end of that range and manuals in the lower end.

I.e., I've seen multiple baseline GT350 dynos in the 465-470 rwhp range (465/0.88 = 528 crank hp, rated at 526 hp). Many 2018+ Mustang GTs dyno 410-420+ rwhp. I think the Gen 3 Coyote is a little underrated, but assuming 13% on 420 rwhp (420/0.87)= 483 crank hp. I think that's believable but I wouldn't think it gets much higher than that at the crank. I've also seen 6th Gen Camaro ZL1s in the 565 rwhp range (565/0.87 = 650 crank hp).
Hot Rod dyno tested a Gen 3 Coyote on a stand with factory calibration and factory manifolds and cats with 91 octane and made 495HP.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Hot Rod dyno tested a Gen 3 Coyote on a stand with factory calibration and factory manifolds and cats with 91 octane and made 495HP.
Yes, I recall that article, but IIRC I don't think it had all the drive accessories (I don't recall what it was missing now) or the factory catback exhaust system. It was difficult to tell from the article but I don't think it had all the components that are installed in the car with the engine causing a higher hp output in their test.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doesn't surprise me considering you trapped 118+ mph stock.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Well it finally happened. I'm leaving the restaurant and see a Challenger TA392 make a maneuver to get in the lane beside me and he gives it a couple of revs to get my attention. I'm taking it easy from the light and he goes around a couple of cars to the left. I put on my turn signal to head on to the freeway onramp and he flies across and jumps onto the on-ramp ahead of me. The on-ramp is about a quarter of a mile long and he gets on it. I thought what the heck, I jump on it and make the shift to 4th and dropped the hammer. I damn near ran over him. Traffic was clear, so I swung to the left lane and for the first time went over 5k rpm in 4th gear lol. That's all it took and I was quickly moving pulling away. I glance at the speedometer and see I am past the speed where JMToast has to manually shift and back off, plus traffic ahead. Of course, he did the mandatory flyby in the right lane. It's not really a run worth bragging about, so I'm not bragging...but it seems like every day this or that car tries to get me to run.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well it finally happened. I'm leaving the restaurant and see a Challenger TA392 make a maneuver to get in the lane beside me and he gives it a couple of revs to get my attention. I'm taking it easy from the light and he goes around a couple of cars to the left. I put on my turn signal to head on to the freeway onramp and he flies across and jumps onto the on-ramp ahead of me. The on-ramp is about a quarter of a mile long and he gets on it. I thought what the heck, I jump on it and make the shift to 4th and dropped the hammer. I damn near ran over him. Traffic was clear, so I swung to the left lane and for the first time went over 5k rpm in 4th gear lol. That's all it took and I was quickly moving pulling away. I glance at the speedometer and see I am past the speed where JMToast has to manually shift and back off, plus traffic ahead. Of course, he did the mandatory flyby in the right lane. It's not really a run worth bragging about, so I'm not bragging...but it seems like every day this or that car tries to get me to run.
You're picking on 392's? That's just wrong and i'm jealous you can go over 123mph.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
lol the cure is coming soon for that shift for you. I mentioned you to wake you up :)

You're picking on 392's? That's just wrong and i'm jealous you can go over 123mph.

Ruby_Ruby19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brevin Cuckold
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So my car is a stock A10 GT, with rear muffler delete on stock tune.

Audi S4 2015 I think?? We raced and he got destroyed.

2019 Widebody A8 392 Challenger - out of the hole he had me by about a 1/2 car once I hit the top of 2nd it was over

392 Shaker 6 speed - destroyed

Golf R - destroyed

Newer Porsche boxster turbo 4 - destroyed

Hellcat - beat me obviously

2011 Camaro so A6 - walked him

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
A mid eighties Black Olds cutlass 2-dr with the plates 'chryblk', so I thought he put a hemi in there haha. But it turned out to be a crate 5.3 LS engine (dunno the horsepower), but he said cam, heads, headers, typical chevy shit, claimed 500 hp like every other chevy engine in the world. Sent him straight to gapplebees from a 5 mph roll and collected 50 buckaroos haha.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Wildhorse,

Awesome #245 post!

Saw a car on Sunday I have never seen before. Was an Audi R8 and it looked like a really fast car. I pulled out from a side road and got behind him in town. He caught a red light and I was behind him. He was revving his motor and took off like a shot when the light turned green. He had to swerve to miss a slow car in front of him; I'm not into reckless driving in the city so I let him do his own thing.

I am sure he would have waxed my grill.
Sponsored