Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Tremec 3160
With a input torque rating of 550 Nm (405 lb-ft), so no different the the MT-82. And the weight savings if from hollow shafts. Some people who think that the 3160 is stronger are kidding themselves.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
With a input torque rating of 550 Nm (405 lb-ft), so no different the the MT-82. And the weight savings if from hollow shafts. Some people who think that the 3160 is stronger are kidding themselves.
The issues I’ve been aware of with the Getrag are with the shift forks. That’s not something that would be directly impacted by input torque.

When I was a Service Engineer at GM, my first assignment was to develop service parts kits and dealer service manuals for the HM-282 and HM-290. Those were 5-spd FWD and RWD transmissions made at the old Chevrolet Muncie plant. It was a joint venture. The transmissions were designed by Getrag, manufactured by GM at the Muncie plant. They engineered them in such a way that they were a service nightmare. The shift forks and synchro rings were a big issue with both of those transmissions. Getrag designed the transmissions to be remove and replace. We wound up recommending dealers get a large shop press to be able to disassemble the gearshafts.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
MT-82 is under 124 lbs. Tremec 3160 over 121. And TR-9070 DCT 229 lbs.
How about the 10R80? I bet it's even heavier than the DCT.

And I thought the Tremec would be significantly heavier... if it was beefier, like it supposedly is. But no way it can be beefier overall while being lighter, and build basically of the same materials (nothing exotic). I knew it was a much less robust than the parent TR6060. And I personally don't have a good opinion of that transmission, since a brand new Corvette had a defective 2nd gear synchro, which was made supposedly more robust than the T56 on my previous Corvette. Not a fan of Tremecs myself, so I don't mind my crappy MT-82, to be honest :D.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The shift forks and synchro rings were a big issue with both of those transmissions.
Back in the day we use to file every 2nd tooth off the synchros. We called that slick shifting. Worked like a charm though haha.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing against Apex but you can trivially find 19x11 flow-formed wheels for 300 each. And if you pay attention you can find them for half that.
Where are you doing your tire shopping? Even TireRack only charges $1680 for a set and you can frequently find practically new sets in the for-sale section for 1200 or less.

since when? $1075.
Sure, add labor...
to be fair the prices were based on what I could get in Europe. So in the USA way cheaper for sure.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
How about the 10R80? I bet it's even heavier than the DCT.

And I thought the Tremec would be significantly heavier... if it was beefier, like it supposedly is. But no way it can be beefier overall while being lighter, and build basically of the same materials (nothing exotic). I knew it was a much less robust than the parent TR6060. And I personally don't have a good opinion of that transmission, since a brand new Corvette had a defective 2nd gear synchro, which was made supposedly more robust than the T56 on my previous Corvette. Not a fan of Tremecs myself, so I don't mind my crappy MT-82, to be honest :D.
Ford specifically modified the Tremec in the GT350 to make it as light as possible. But I'm not sure which transmission is actually stronger. The MT-82 can hold up to a blown Coyote no problem and I'm aware of a number of GT350s with power adders as well. I think the transmission companies rating of transmissions are very unclear.

It very well could. If the GT350 version is what they refer to as the "with mass reduction" version.

TR3160.JPG
I believe that is correct.

If it’s the same spec as the 350, the 3160 should come in around 110lbs.
Thanks for the specific number. I knew it had been designed to be lighter, but not how much.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The next question is, did Ford buy the Tremec 3160 with the lighter weight parts for the Mach 1 or did they take the heavier stuff to again differentiate the GT350 and save some money?

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
You guys do realize that every transmission that requires warranty work is both expensive and negative for reviews/marketing. I beat the heck out of the mt-82 in my 588rwhp 2011 mustang gt. Not just several trips to the dragstrip at Milan, but one day in specific where the temp was 98f when I got there and 85f when I left 4 hours later. I raced a good 40 times and the trans clutch and blower worked flawless. The newer version of the mt was in my Bullitt with 675rwhp at 7800 where I shifted with fresh drag radials. Worked flawlessly. This transmission discussion is seriously splitting hairs. It's a great trans.

Once the tremec is in the Mach 1, they will be bitching galore. Too much or this forum is complaining. And many complaining haven't owned the car or transmission in question. Including telling us all what the car "should" do in the quarter mile. Show is the timesheet.

Plus the trolls that are from the competing big 3 that want to put down the mustang. Recent sales confirmt the Camaro is history because it is not a friendly daily driver.

There, I vented:)

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
And a fine job you did there, GreenS550.

So what, it's a parts car. It's a parts car built with the parts I would like to have in it. And if you compare the difference between the 1968 Mustang to the 1969 Mach1 and then the difference between the 2020 PP2 and the 2021 Mach1, I think you'll have to admit Ford went a bit further this time with performance.

5.ooooooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
O7 merc mountianeer premier
Am I crazy or does the Mach 1 front end (bottom half) have a identical look to the wide body charger?

9B690D89-04C2-4E51-9F1B-7FE0B41F7974.jpeg
42F611C6-624A-4C0E-B50C-F3111B884A1D.jpeg
Sponsored