Sponsored

2015 Mustang GT dynoed by Magnaflow

Red_Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Red Devil, any chances of magnaflow making an h pipe version for those of us that prefer the sound and hate rasp?
Probably not. We only use X pipes because we design for performance and flow first. Honestly the kit sounds amazing, a video just doesn't do it justice. Ultimately the sound acoustics come from the engine and we can only modify it so much.
Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Red Devil,

Did you happen to dyno the street series cat back as well?

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Probably not. We only use X pipes because we design for performance and flow first. Honestly the kit sounds amazing, a video just doesn't do it justice. Ultimately the sound acoustics come from the engine and we can only modify it so much.
Are they drone free? I know that's a big thing for a lot of us.

qwkcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-mustang
The factory exhaust enables attributing performance gains directly to the platform improvements because out of the box there is a carry over of power to weight ratio in curb weights and rated horsepower.

The engineers have done very well with the exhaust so the platform can speak for itself.

eleanor5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MY
Thank you so much for providing the details on this. That's fantastic news.

Crazy to think there's that much left on the table with just a Cat Back.

This thing is going to be pushing 475-485 easy, with a Cat Back and Tune.
such rampant speculation in this thread. so a car that dynos 370 stock is somehow going to jump 105 HP with a catback and tune, are you new to cars dude?

Sponsored

ArabianOak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Great stuff guys! My big question is since the cats are retained, this mod will not cause that horrid no cat smell that comes with some aftermarket exhausts, correct?

Also, most of the power gains from the exhaust on the coyote and road runner platform, came from having no cats (but then you get that horrid smell). Since cats are retained in this setup, should we assume that guys who go with full exhaust and headers (no cats) will gain 50 plus HP from that mod??? Or is the setup of this exhaust a lot different and cat back is where the real gains come from?

Also, what should we expect for this mod with a good tune from Lund or VMP? 30 without a tune, maybe 40 with a tune???

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
such rampant speculation in this thread. so a car that dynos 370 stock is somehow going to jump 105 HP with a catback and tune, are you new to cars dude?
You are referring to HP at the wheels, he is referring to power at the crank. Are you new to cars dude?:tsk:

eleanor5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MY
ask any racer, ask any real racer who cares what a car makes at the crank, you will never know unless you stick it on an engine dyno. you are simply multiplying the wheel number by a percentage factor to get your made up crank number. either way, who cares. Still, with a full itnake tune and exhaust nobody should expect more than 35hp at the wheels.

anyway, the sound on this catback is depressing. Magnaflow has always been one of my favorite for drone/rasp free catbacks. They are usually very mellow and rumbly. Even this car seems to suffer from some v6-like sounds. It sounds better on the dyno, but driving around was less than good. It's just not a deep enough tone and doesn't have that classic v8 DOHC mustang sound anymore.

until you can get the catbacks to sound like either of these, I'm going to remain sad.

[ame]

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
I'm going to regret this but here it goes. "real racers" don't care what the car puts out on a dyno. Dynos are only good for bench racing and tuning. Now we have preliminary evidence that a catback added 30HP to the wheels. With no correction we can assume that the engine is possibly producing 465HP.

You commented that it only produced 370HP, it produced 400HP with the exhaust. LT headers on this engine are known to produce in the neighborhood of 30HP, combined with a tune, and or intake work you quickly arrive at 500HP.

eleanor5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MY
I'm going to regret this but here it goes. "real racers" don't care what the car puts out on a dyno. Dynos are only good for bench racing and tuning. Now we have preliminary evidence that a catback added 30HP to the wheels. With no correction we can assume that the engine is possibly producing 465HP.

You commented that it only produced 370HP, it produced 400HP with the exhaust. LT headers on this engine are known to produce in the neighborhood of 30HP, combined with a tune, and or intake work you quickly arrive at 500HP.
Are you implying crank numbers are more useful than dyno numbers because they aren't.
Why are you going back and forth from wheel to crank, it makes no sense.
My joke was a reference to F&F but you clearly missed it. Either way, the real issue is this car not sounding as deep as a 11-14.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

Valid points. But engine power is part of the winning equation.

It's always a good thing to know what you're working with.

And in a manual transmission, you get to know your shift point a little more scientific as well.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
And in a manual transmission, you get to know your shift point a little more scientific as well.
Or if your Bob Glidden don't make the mistake of allowing an in-car camera that shows all the guys your creaming, your shift points so they can back calculate your transmission ratios and beat you next week at your own game ;) (Slightly off-topic)

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Are you implying crank numbers are more useful than dyno numbers because they aren't.
Why are you going back and forth from wheel to crank, it makes no sense.
My joke was a reference to F&F but you clearly missed it. Either way, the real issue is this car not sounding as deep as a 11-14.

I'm going to agree.. after watching numerous exhaust videos these do sound a little weak... With that being said... I wonder if there is something upstream causing this sound or is there a little more to be had with the catback.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Or if your Bob Glidden don't make the mistake of allowing an in-car camera that shows all the guys your creaming, your shift points so they can back calculate your transmission ratios and beat you next week at your own game ;) (Slightly off-topic)

I Must have missed the memo on that one...

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
I Must have missed the memo on that one...
Still to this day, either the incar doesn't show the tach or it has tape over it and they go by the shift light.
Sponsored