Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Has anyone ever seen this? My new 2020 was delivered yesterday and everything looked good when I inspected the outside. But today, I open the trunk and notice this hole on the side. The whole area seems to be and mess and made of some sort of soft material.
View media item 17717

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You're looking at seam sealer where the inner trunk structure is welded to the outer rear quarter panel. Looks like they missed a spot. It's always painted over like that though. Unless that hole can trap water or let it inside the quarter panel I wouldn't worry about it too much.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Plumbers putty works great ............... Or, epoxy filler.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Best to have it corrected now because it could trap moisture and cause rust later on.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Brand new car. Bring it back to the dealer and have their body shop fill and repaint it. Not their fault but totally unacceptable, IMHO.
But ........ but .......... That makes to much sense. :wink:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Damn, did ALL the QC workers have COVID??? Who misses that? Geez. Almost as bad as a Bullitt which had no paint whatsoever on the inside part where the door hinges are bolted to. Ford is going from bad to worse. Having both LOW quality, and BAD build quality, is not something to be proud of. I'd just fill it up myself with epoxy, and use touch-up paint to paint over that. I bet it's going to look MUCH better than if you let a dealer do it, plus the risk of getting scratches, dings, and your interior scuffed and scratched.

Just went out to look at my car, and fortunately, it's not like that. Good luck man, and keep us posted what you decide to do.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Brand new car. Bring it back to the dealer and have their body shop fill and repaint it. Not their fault but totally unacceptable, IMHO.
I wouldn't bring this back to their body shop. Best case scenario, they decline the work. Worst case scenario, they just put some shitty putty there and touch it up and cause more damage in the process.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I wouldn't bring this back to their body shop. Best case scenario, they decline the work. Worst case scenario, they just put some shitty putty there and touch it up and cause more damage in the process.
Not every dealer body shop is bad. Many dealers do not even have their own body shops. OP has to talk to their dealer, find out what the story is and be sure he is confident in their work before proceeding. Another alternative is find to top class shop and pay to have it done. On a brand new car I do not really find this to be an acceptable alternative.

Last edited:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Agree with Ira, the options are worth exploring.

JJ if you don't have it recorded by Ford and there's a problem down the track your recourse is limited. Water ends up in all kinds of strange places because it travels. Whether you do something about it is your choice but please do bring it to Ford's attention, some halfwits in assembly and qc who are being paid good money obviously think this is ok and it's definitely not.

OP
OP
Mr. Met

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Not every dealer body shop is bad. Many dealers do not even have their own body shops. OP has to talk to their dealer, find out what the story is and be sure he is confident in their work before proceeding. Another alternative is find to top class shop and pay to have it done. On a brand new car I do not really find this to be an acceptable alternative.
Yea, the dealer I use doesn't have a body shop so everything has to be sent out.
Agree with Ira, the options are worth exploring.

JJ if you don't have it recorded by Ford and there's a problem down the track your recourse is limited. Water ends up in all kinds of strange places because it travels. Whether you do something about it is your choice but please do bring it to Ford's attention, some halfwits in assembly and qc who are being paid good money obviously think this is ok and it's definitely not.
The dealer I bought it from is in NC so I spoke with them and sent them some photos. I will see what they say. I also spoke with Ford on twitter. They said to bring it to my local dealer and they should take care of it.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Just know that if something stupid is done by the body shop, it's going to be between you and them. The dealer will wash their hands clean once they give the car to them.