Ford Performance released its PP2 replica wheels

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
I was just doing the math and thinking the same thing. That 255/40-19 is 27.1", a 285/35-19 is 27", seems line a no-brainer to me. The 275/40-19 is 27.7”, a square 285 setup would show 0.05" more gap in the front and 0.3" in the rear.
I had to go look up the 305/35-19, it's going to have 0.13” more gap, an eighth of an inch more than the stock size. I don't know what springs would give you a 1/8" drop.
I'm not at all sure you'd be saving the lowering money.

255/40 tires would only take about 1/4" out of the gap to the fender up front and barely 1/8" out of the rear gap, compared to your current tire sizes. I don't know whether there's an optical illusion effect coming from the wider wheels, but that would not be apparent in a dead-on side view picture.
Norm
According to the tire specs, the stock Pirellis are 27.1" front and 27.8" rear. The new Super Sports are 26.6"/27.4"... so its about 1/2" in front and less than that in back. They also poke a bit more than stock... but I had spacers on the stock wheels so that wasnt a dramatic change, ended up about the same. Plus my original tires were worn a lot, especially in front.

So its probably more of an optical illusion than reality, but as soon as I got them on the car I saw there was just a bit too much wheel gap in front than there should be. And I am definitely not one of those guys that thinks any wheel gap is wrong. I really don't like lowered cars and I was very happy with the look of the stock tires (with the spacers anyway). So if I think there is too much gap, then there is really too much gap. I am looking at getting the minimal drop Steeda springs to drop it a half inch. Then I might get the Steeda spacers to raise the back back to close to stock, because I think the backs look good now, just the fronts really have the issue. Going to see how they look before making that decision.

Stock wheels and tires:
IMG_20141031_181604.jpg
IMG_6714.jpg
IMG_6707.jpg

New wheels:
IMG_6896.jpg
IMG_6905.jpg
IMG_6912.jpg
Sponsored

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
According to the tire specs, the stock Pirellis are 27.1" front and 27.8" rear. The new Super Sports are 26.6"/27.4"... so its about 1/2" in front and less than that in back. They also poke a bit more than stock... but I had spacers on the stock wheels so that wasnt a dramatic change, ended up about the same. Plus my original tires were worn a lot, especially in front.

So its probably more of an optical illusion than reality, but as soon as I got them on the car I saw there was just a bit too much wheel gap in front than there should be. And I am definitely not one of those guys that thinks any wheel gap is wrong. I really don't like lowered cars and I was very happy with the look of the stock tires (with the spacers anyway). So if I think there is too much gap, then there is really too much gap. I am looking at getting the minimal drop Steeda springs to drop it a half inch. Then I might get the Steeda spacers to raise the back back to close to stock, because I think the backs look good now, just the fronts really have the issue. Going to see how they look before making that decision.

Stock wheels and tires:
That number doesn't sound right, what size front tires did you get? Using your numbers though, it's still only 0.25" front and 0.20 difference in the back. You're looking at the diameter, half the difference is at the top of the tire and the other half is at the bottom, the bottom half doesn't change the clearance at the fender so divide the difference in diameter by 2.

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
That number doesn't sound right, what size front tires did you get? Using your numbers though, it's still only 0.25" front and 0.20 difference in the back. You're looking at the diameter, half the difference is at the top of the tire and the other half is at the bottom, the bottom half doesn't change the clearance at the fender so divide the difference in diameter by 2.
Excellent point yes! As I said, it’s probably an optical illusion more than anything.

I have 275/35 on front, so the sidewall height should be 96.2mm vs 102mm for the stock tires. So 1/4” as you said. It’s even closer on the back. It’s also why I chose these tire sizes specifically, to go wider while maintaining the sidewall ratio front to rear and be as close to stock as I could get. Norm helped a lot with advice a few months back! I put a ton of research into this... I have a spreadsheet with basically every tire that fits our cars and these are the closest you can get. I did this so I wouldn’t have to lower the car.

I haven’t purchased the springs yet... still deciding if I want to just do springs or go for new struts at the same time. Maybe it will settle in or maybe I will just get used to the look. A lot of guys think the stock car is too high anyway so maybe that 1/4” just made it noticeable to me!

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makes sense, the aspect ratio is the problem. I've been meaning to get my own spreadsheet going for tires, but 255/35 won't be on it. Im lowered a half inch all around and planning on keeping it square, most likely 285/35 but possibly 275/40 or 265/40 on 19x10 (maybe +/- 1/2").

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Makes sense, the aspect ratio is the problem. I've been meaning to get my own spreadsheet going for tires, but 255/35 won't be on it. Im lowered a half inch all around and planning on keeping it square, most likely 285/35 but possibly 275/40 or 265/40 on 19x10 (maybe +/- 1/2").
Yea no reason to go 255/35. The narrowest I could see using for a square setup is 275/35, but really no reason to not do 285/35 or even 295/35... should fit fine and the sidewall height is a good fit front and rear. Especially with you already being lowered 1/2” all around. The only reason I went with the 275/35 up front was to maintain the same sidewall height ratio from front to rear. 275/40 might be a little “thick” looking for the fronts... it’s a tall tire.

Here is my spreadsheet in case it helps.

Attachments

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Is anyone going to run 4 “rear” 10” wheels? It seems like they should fit on the front just fine.

OP
OP
gismo4

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Is anyone going to run 4 “rear” 10” wheels? It seems like they should fit on the front just fine.
I'm sure you'll need spacers if you do. I made a post about the size earlier in this thread.

Unfortunately the SVE SP2s are no longer available for the time being and it's unknown when they'll be back again.

Sorry for the confusion. I updated that post. Those are the SVE SP2 19x10 wheels, not the ford performance wheels. The SP2 19*10 has an offset of 35mm and the ford performance wheel is 19*10 with an offset of 52.5mm. If I did my math correctly, that means the ford performance wheel would sit inside the fender by about 0.689". I don't know if that extra 0.689" would hit something inside during turns or not. If you want a square setup, I'd recommend the SVE SP2 wheels. If you want the OEM quality, you could try using a spacer with these, but I'd stick with the staggered setup ford performance recommends. Maybe someone else can share their thoughts as well.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea no reason to go 255/35. The narrowest I could see using for a square setup is 275/35, but really no reason to not do 285/35 or even 295/35... should fit fine and the sidewall height is a good fit front and rear. Especially with you already being lowered 1/2” all around. The only reason I went with the 275/35 up front was to maintain the same sidewall height ratio from front to rear. 275/40 might be a little “thick” looking for the fronts... it’s a tall tire.

Here is my spreadsheet in case it helps.
Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm already square (255/40 on 19x8.5, Black Accent Pkg) so my goal is to keep it close to the stock diameter of 27-27.1". The base wheel and tire, IIRC, is 27.3" and I wouldn't mind closing up the gap a hair more so 275/40 makes the cut, the 275/35 is too small. Mine is a year-round DD, snow and all, and I haven't decided if I'm going with a top tier A/S (Michelin AS3+, Conti EC DWS) or putting summer tires on bigger wheels and winter tires on the current wheels. The original PZero Neros will be toast by winter and I haven't figured out how to get wheels and 2 sets of premium tires past the Mrs.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you want the OEM quality...
LOL, I'm not willing to settle for OEM quality, looks like I'll have to wait for these to be back in stock or pick something else.

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm already square (255/40 on 19x8.5, Black Accent Pkg) so my goal is to keep it close to the stock diameter of 27-27.1". The base wheel and tire, IIRC, is 27.3" and I wouldn't mind closing up the gap a hair more so 275/40 makes the cut, the 275/35 is too small. Mine is a year-round DD, snow and all, and I haven't decided if I'm going with a top tier A/S (Michelin AS3+, Conti EC DWS) or putting summer tires on bigger wheels and winter tires on the current wheels. The original PZero Neros will be toast by winter and I haven't figured out how to get wheels and 2 sets of premium tires past the Mrs.
255/40 is the same size I had on my PP1 car. Should be the same dimensions. I have those measurements in my spreadsheet down at the bottom.

As for getting wheels and tires past the wife... try what I did. I just said my new tires wouldn’t fit on my old wheels so I needed this new set and it was on sale and I got a great price. She hasn’t asked why there is another set of wheels in the garage lol

Sponsored

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
255/40 is the same size I had on my PP1 car. Should be the same dimensions. I have those measurements in my spreadsheet down at the bottom.

As for getting wheels and tires past the wife... try what I did. I just said my new tires wouldn’t fit on my old wheels so I needed this new set and it was on sale and I got a great price. She hasn’t asked why there is another set of wheels in the garage lol
I like it, I'm wondering if she'd even notice another set, I have summer, winter and track wheels for my other car. Problem is, the Firestone bill goes to her.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I thought about running the 19x11 wheels on the rear and the 19x10’s on the front with a 15 or 20 mm spacer and extended studs. I would hope the 19x10’s would fit over the 6 piston Brembo’s, but not sure I would want to be the guinea pig. After thinking about it, at that point, probably just better off picking out a set of SVE wheels and save some money and weight. I really wish LMR had the SP2’s in stock right now, then my decision would be easy!

Doug

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
I thought about running the 19x11 wheels on the rear and the 19x10’s on the front with a 15 or 20 mm spacer and extended studs. I would hope the 19x10’s would fit over the 6 piston Brembo’s, but not sure I would want to be the guinea pig. After thinking about it, at that point, probably just better off picking out a set of SVE wheels and save some money and weight. I really wish LMR had the SP2’s in stock right now, then my decision would be easy!

Doug
19x10 with a 15mm moves the ET from 52.5 to 37.5. That should be enough for a 285 tire. Dont see any issue clearing brembos either.
However, the 19x9.5 is already good enough for a 285 tire so you could get that instead and save on spacers/studs. Lighter too.

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I like it, I'm wondering if she'd even notice another set, I have summer, winter and track wheels for my other car. Problem is, the Firestone bill goes to her.
Yea that could be a problem!

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)

Doug
That’s how I ended up going with the Project 6GR wheels instead. LMR didn’t have the SP2s in stock and I was looking at alternatives and found the TENS which I liked even better. And they had the right sizes and offsets to go staggered or square.
Sponsored