Sponsored

Wheel and Tire Storage

carlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
I've been storing my factory wheels in my shed 100% of the time and they have been fine for a few years now.

I recently built a closed in storage space under my deck. It's actually built out of wooden planks so it is closed in and almost somewhat sealed. It is NOT open like the typical lattice that you see used as deck skirts.

Do you think it is OK to store my factory wheels/tires in this location? I don't want them to turn to a big piece of rust.

Maybe put them in garbage bags?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Do you think it is OK to store my factory wheels/tires in this location? I don't want them to turn to a big piece of rust.
Why would you expect aluminum alloy wheels to rust? Past that, if they're not going to go bad while bolted to a car sitting outside in a dealer's lot for months on end, why would you expect them to go bad sitting anywhere else in a similar time frame, inside or outside?

My "not in season" wheels and tires sit in a stack next to my shed. There's a contractor size garbage bag over the top one to keep leaves and other stuff from getting blown into the stack, but that's about it. Been doing it that way for going on 15 years and never had a tire or wheel look any worse for the wear for it, including the cheap black steel wheels I had for my Passat.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yeah, you need to worry about your tires, not the wheels, especially if aluminum. Tire rubber degrades over time, and the more ozone around, the quicker it happens. Even if the treads look like new, you're supposed to replace tires every 5 years (especially if you're going to push your car), so you know.

OP
OP
carlg

carlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Why would you expect aluminum alloy wheels to rust? Past that, if they're not going to go bad while bolted to a car sitting outside in a dealer's lot for months on end, why would you expect them to go bad sitting anywhere else in a similar time frame, inside or outside?

My "not in season" wheels and tires sit in a stack next to my shed. There's a contractor size garbage bag over the top one to keep leaves and other stuff from getting blown into the stack, but that's about it. Been doing it that way for going on 15 years and never had a tire or wheel look any worse for the wear for it, including the cheap black steel wheels I had for my Passat.

Good question, why would I? Just making sure I guess.

OP
OP
carlg

carlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Yeah, you need to worry about your tires, not the wheels, especially if aluminum. Tire rubber degrades over time, and the more ozone around, the quicker it happens. Even if the treads look like new, you're supposed to replace tires every 5 years (especially if you're going to push your car), so you know.
Yes, I almost don't care about the tires at all. They are about 80% - 90% finished anyway. I just want to preserve the wheels so I can always return the car back to stock if necessary.

Walt Kowalski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DonaldTrumpFan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT FB. 6M. Twister O. 2020 Conv GT 10A - MagnaRide, Twister O.
Get some Black coloured “Pallet Wrap” - like industrial glad cling wrap. Wrap the treads. Simple. Bingo. Worked for me for many years.
Sponsored