Ford Performance Cams

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
If you haven’t dyno’d don’t post. Has any one done the FP camshaft swap and Dyno tested for results? My speed shop owner who specializes in Mustangs and Vettes is trying to talk me into it.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
My speed shop owner who specializes in Mustangs and Vettes is trying to talk me into it.
how is it HE doesn't have dyno sheets to prove the efficacy of the mod? Unfortunately I can't find it but there was an article that said the FP cams were basically pointless. Talk to Livernois or tuners like PBD. I'm sure they have useful graphs to show you and which products work and which don't.

Looks like you have a fairly extensive mod list already. You'll want to get the head gasket replaced with the updated design if applicable.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I'd be interested in other evidence on this as well. There is one member here who claims that it moves the power band up in RPM range but the majority of people seem to repeat the "it doesn't do anything" opinion expressed by a certain person who doesn't post around here anymore.

OP
OP
Vicr

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Maybe I’ll be the guinea pig and get the FP cams. They’re not expensive and I’ll have the head bolts removed and have the studs installed. The Ecoboost is a new platform for speed shops like the one I go to who have been in business for 30 years. I’ll be having Ryan do a remote Dyno tune when I’m done modding and any thing that can be done to bring the TQ/HP curve to higher RPMs is a good thing.

Sponsored

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
my tuner said they're not worth it.They're the focus RS cams. I'd get maybe 10 extra hp on the top end and did the HPP turbo at the same time

Hopster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3
The mustang and RS use the same cams.
Intake: BB5Z-6250-B
Exhaust: EJ7Z-6250-A

It’s great how all these tuners say these cams are useless but don’t seem to actually have tested them or even know simple facts about the OEM Mustang cams.

The Ford Racing cams are dirt cheap, I’m surprised that people haven’t tried them because of that. Most aftermarket cams are closer to $1k and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a mustang dyno with some installed. Plenty of people do cams for the Focus ST, guess they got more money than us...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
is the engine is choking on the (too small) turbo, what is the point of cams?

Hopster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3
is the engine is choking on the (too small) turbo, what is the point of cams?
I hear that, but most people’s reaction to “I want top end” is to throw a turbo at it. That is ultimately necessary but cams should be part of that equation. These cams don’t add tons of duration, but they do add some lift which will increase flow. My surprise is that for $200 no one has seemed to figure out how much they help. $1700 turbo- no biggie, but $200 cams- stay away!!!!!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My surprise is that for $200 no one has seemed to figure out how much they help. $1700 turbo- no biggie, but $200 cams- stay away!!!!!
Except it's not $200 cams, it's $1000 cams once you tear the head apart and swap the bits. (your local labor rates may differ) whereas a Turbo any monkey can swap out and there is no angst over getting the cams indexed or installed wrong. Fear Factor of cams is much higher than bolt-on parts. I haven't compared the Ford cams against the other big 3 suppliers to see where they stack up. The best thing I did for my EB was put an Unleashed 93oct and E30 tune on it (and IC and suspension). Granted that was $500 but I'm more than happy with the results such that I no longer care about cams or turbos.
Sponsored