Battery box cover fasteners

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Changed the battery yesterday and, like many others, I lost one in the engine compartment. I was able to retrieve it but was wondering if anyone has come up with a mod to make them more permanent? Or should I just buy a few extras and not worry about it?
Sponsored

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
I think the clips are made the way they are so that if you need to disconnect the battery in an emergency situation you can just grip and rip the cover and it will come off easily. No need to fight "proper fitting" clips.This seems to be the only logical reason that those size clips were chosen

Don

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Last edited:
OP
OP
ORRadtech

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
That's a pretty good find. May just go ahead and order them
And I don't want to have to use tools to remove it but I was thinking about a threaded insert of some kind and wing bolts.
Eh, I'm probably over thinking this...

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
There was a time when a few noted the holes in the covers were almost too large for the fastener base, and suggested using thin washers. I did that and in my case, it tightened the fasteners a little. still unscrewed easily but less slack.

My solution for the (inevitable escaped and lost) fastener was to use a tin box, like an Altoids can with attached lid, to hold spares. A small super-strong magnet inside the box secured it to a flat space inside the engine compartment, easily reachable and detachable if need be. I neglected to retrive the box and spares when I traded the car, but I have all the components to add another, when circumstances permit.
YellowCarFastenerCanInSitu.jpg

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
You really don't need those fasteners. My battery cover hasn't had any fasteners holding it down for at least 3 years now. It's not going anywhere.

OP
OP
ORRadtech

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
That's exactly what I had envisioned.

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
How about some Velcro strips. Maybe not the hook/loop stuff, but the tiny molded post type. If I start loosing fasteners, I'm going this route.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I can confirm the Amazon fasteners I linked on post #3 worked perfectly; just got them. In fact, they're actually better than the stock ones. All fit tight, except the first one, closest to the right fender. The thickness is less there, for some reason, so the fastener is a little loose. It doesn't come off, but it's not tight like the others, Since it's under the hood, no rattling issues. But if I can find a black nylon washer one of these days, I'd like to put one underneath, so it's tight, like the others :D. Hope this helps.

GT450

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mustang manual
I can confirm the Amazon fasteners I linked on post #3 worked perfectly; just got them. In fact, they're actually better than the stock ones. All fit tight, except the first one, closest to the right fender. The thickness is less there, for some reason, so the fastener is a little loose. It doesn't come off, but it's not tight like the others, Since it's under the hood, no rattling issues. But if I can find a black nylon washer one of these days, I'd like to put one underneath, so it's tight, like the others :D. Hope this helps.
I just used some Christmas tree type trim clips, simply just push in and pull out and they look like they should be there. Cheap as chips at most auto stores and way less fiddly than the original clips which I just put away for now.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I'm waiting for these from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BHD4QJ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still have the originals, but one had a broken leg since new (forced down without the legs clearing the hole), so want to replace it. And have a few spares. And yes, you need to be able to remove the battery box without tools in an emergency, so decided to keep the stock fasteners.

I bought the same off eBay for $5 (still waiting for arrival, coming from overseas) - take your pick of quantity & price:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...le+Clips+Fit+For+Ford+Acc&_trksid=m5467.l1311

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Changed the battery yesterday and, like many others, I lost one in the engine compartment. I was able to retrieve it but was wondering if anyone has come up with a mod to make them more permanent? Or should I just buy a few extras and not worry about it?
Got mine from Hong Kong off eBay.10 for 6.50 plus 2 for shipping.so like 80c each.they work fine

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I bought the same off eBay for $5 (still waiting for arrival, coming from overseas)
I like Rexsa because it's an actual OEM parts supplier. They're probably made in China too, but at least there's a chance they use the same materials as OEM. They look absolutely identical to the original ones, except they don't have the miniature 'Ford' logo stamped on them. Cheaper plastics might degrade quicker over time with the engine heat, but who knows.
Sponsored