Dodge is killing it for 2021 Redeye vs GT500

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I have 0 problem with Dodge finding a niche buyer that only has a surface level understanding of performance, or only want to enjoy their ride. Its like the Dakota R/T VS Lightning for me, since I owned both, and went from Dakota to Ligtning. The Dodge, looked awesome, felt fast, sounded awesome.. but in reality, was nothing special and wasnt nearly as fast as I thought.. Hopped into the Ligtning and holy shlT! what an all around different package, from interior styling, materials to performance, it was a no brainer why one was cool and sold a good amount, and the other was a legit muscle truck.

rancid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I like the hellcats and has already mentioned this is a good thing for consumers, I am dreaming of the day we get a 500rwhp Mustang GT. :)

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
I have 0 problem with Dodge finding a niche buyer that only has a surface level understanding of performance, or only want to enjoy their ride. Its like the Dakota R/T VS Lightning for me, since I owned both, and went from Dakota to Ligtning. The Dodge, looked awesome, felt fast, sounded awesome.. but in reality, was nothing special and wasnt nearly as fast as I thought.. Hopped into the Ligtning and holy shlT! what an all around different package, from interior styling, materials to performance, it was a no brainer why one was cool and sold a good amount, and the other was a legit muscle truck.
Why put the other guy down? If you want a muscle car you only have one choice Dodge, has nothing to do with knowledge of performance. I know plenty of dodge owners on forums who are 1320 guys and want a fast stock power car for the 1/4 mile. Dodge now has offered the demon, the hellcat redeye challenger, the redeye Charger and the redeye superstock, all of which have a faster stock power 1/4 than any car ford has ever made. If you want the best stock 1/4 mile car that can also be a daily driver, the hellcats are without doubt the best for that role. Do most dodge owners only have a surface level of performance knowledge? Yes, and most Ford buyers do as well, remember only 18% of Americans can drive a manual.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
That is, until you get in it. :-)
LMFAO
Yeah, I hear all the horror stories about the low of visibility and layout of the cockpit. lol

KB,........you need a 4th of July avatar.
I was thinking a hot blonde in the good 'ole Red, White and Blue. :)

SEERED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500-LOUDMOUTH LIME
Hey Ice, love your cars and most here (including me) can only have one fun car at a time :crying: So I guess my problem with FCA is the lack of risk when it comes to style from 2009 to today's looks. Forget the engines, no question about the power applied. I just want your opinion on why so little style movement on the exterior? To me it is looking so dated, unimaginative and the only thing good was the wild choice colors.
I know, If it ain't broke don't fix it but Pappy always said "the best time to test new bait is when they are biting".
Custom-1973-Dodge-Challenger-01-640x360.jpg

upload_2020-7-4_11-47-21.jpeg

Last edited:

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I like the Challenger and Charger Hellcats. Good looks, good color choices, great drivetrains, etc. I briefly considered a Hellcat before I bought my Mustang and ruled it out pretty quick because of the weight. 4,550 lbs is too heavy for a car that I planned to take on some curvy mountain roads on occasion. And truth be told, everyone says they are a great drag car, but that isn't even true. They can't hook worth a darn, and a trap speed of 125-126 mph isn't that high for a 707+ hp vehicle because they are so fat.

My thought about these are, I want to like them, and I do like the drivetrains, but the size and weight keeps me from liking them more.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
If you want a muscle car you buy a GT and throw a blower on it.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
There will be a 2021 Redeye Charger in my driveway next September and will replace my 18 Hellcat Charger. In my opinion it is maybe the most complete car all around and absolutely enjoyable to drive. I prefer driving it over my 2019 Roush Stage 3 and even over my 850hp 2017 Supercharged Mustang I got rid of a few months back

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I know, If it ain't broke don't fix it but Pappy always said "the best time to test new bait is when they are biting".
I'm not sure what you can do to the general looks to improve the car though. Give it a serious diet and put in on a performance chassis, definitely! You're right, by comparison the Mustang has been re-shaped and significantly so over the decades. The Challenger just 'works' and seeing as how they sell like hotcakes there are lots of young and old alike who love both the power (v6) and price and the layout. I've never owned a Mopar and yet I can stare at both the Challenger/Charger for hours. A 6MT option on the Charger SRT and I'd wet myself.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I like the Challenger and Charger Hellcats. Good looks, good color choices, great drivetrains, etc. I briefly considered a Hellcat before I bought my Mustang and ruled it out pretty quick because of the weight. 4,550 lbs is too heavy for a car that I planned to take on some curvy mountain roads on occasion. And truth be told, everyone says they are a great drag car, but that isn't even true. They can't hook worth a darn, and a trap speed of 125-126 mph isn't that high for a 707+ hp vehicle because they are so fat.

My thought about these are, I want to like them, and I do like the drivetrains, but the size and weight keeps me from liking them more.
I actually considered one too. I was seriously debating between a GT350 or the rumored Redeye Charger. The only thing that stopped me from getting a Mustang was that they don't have sunroofs. Its was a deale breaker for me but the fact that the engine is NA and you get an 8k rev range with a manual was enough to make me re-consider. If it wasn't naturally aspirated I for sure would have gone with Dodge.

You are completely right about the drag racing part. They are marketed as drag racing cars but the cars come with weak 2-piece driveshafts and can easily break from the differential because of the amount of power that is being sent to the rear wheels in such a short time on a grippy track. Even the famed Demon has this problem. You have to install a differential brace to prevent wheel hop and install a one piece driveshaft which causes vibrations and huge rattling noises above a certain speed. There are no current aftermarket 2-piece driveshafts. The Demon has a one piece but it needs a differential brace to prevent wheel hop. I found all of this out when I was looking into the car.

Pretty lame considering that it is a 'drag ready car'. The stock driveshaft on the Redeye and Hellcats, might or might not break when you drag race it. If you put drag radials on (which you need in order to get those 1/4 times on the spec sheet), you run a good chance of this happening to you. If you use the stock tires the chances are low but it can still happen. If you go to the strip often or upgrade for more power than you'll for sure need a one piece driveshaft otherwise that will happen to you. The differential brace will help with stock tires but still you have the issue with the driveshaft possibly breaking. Dodge won't cover this under warranty.

The GT350 has its own engine problems, but at least the marketing was honest, and if the engines blows I can get it covered.

I still love Dodge though, just wish that they wouldn't intentionally mislead people buying their cars. It takes the fun out of the car and it makes it hard for non-car savy guys like myself to take these cars casually out to the strip without worrying where they belong.

Last edited:

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure what you can do to the general looks to improve the car though. Give it a serious diet and put in on a performance chassis, definitely! You're right, by comparison the Mustang has been re-shaped and significantly so over the decades. The Challenger just 'works' and seeing as how they sell like hotcakes there are lots of young and old alike who love both the power (v6) and price and the layout. I've never owned a Mopar and yet I can stare at both the Challenger/Charger for hours. A 6MT option on the Charger SRT and I'd wet myself.
What car from 2008 still looks as good or better than it did then? Not many cars could keep the same design for 14 years and still look great. I think that’s the point, the challenger looks good because the design is sound. The challenger is a totally unique car. There is no other car that looks like it on sale anywhere in the world from a major auto maker. I read people who say driving a mustang is more fun than a challenger, I read others who have driven both and say the challenger is more fun. I think its about what does it for you, drive the one you like and remember what is the most fun for you may not be for someone else.

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually considered one too. I was seriously debating between a GT350 or the rumored Redeye Charger. The only thing that stopped me from getting a Mustang was that they don't have sunroofs. Its was a deale breaker for me but the fact that the engine is NA and you get an 8k rev range with a manual was enough to make me re-consider. If it wasn't naturally aspirated I for sure would have gone with Dodge.

You are completely right about the drag racing part. They are marketed as drag racing cars but the cars come with weak 2-piece driveshafts and can easily break from the differential because of the amount of power that is being sent to the rear wheels in such a short time on a grippy track. Even the famed Demon has this problem. You have to install a differential brace to prevent wheel hop and install a one piece driveshaft which causes vibrations and huge rattling noises above a certain speed. The Demon has a one piece but it needs a differential brace to prevent wheel hop. I found all of this out when I was looking into the car

Pretty lame considering that it is a 'drag ready car'. The stock driveshaft on the Redeye and Hellcats, might or might not break when you drag race it. If you put drag radials on (which you need in order to get those 1/4 times on the spec sheet), you run a good chance of this happening to you. If you use the stock tires the chances are low but it can still happen. If you go to the strip often or upgrade for more power than you'll for sure need a one piece driveshaft otherwise that will happen to you. The differential brace will help with stock tires but still you have the issue with the driveshaft possibly breaking. Dodge won't cover this under warranty.

The GT350 has its own engine problems, but at least the marketing was honest, and if the engines blows I can get it covered.
There are demons with over 600 passes on the stock diff. 1000 plus on the engine and trans.

When Ford makes a 840 hp car that pulls wheelies and cuts 1.3 60ft times maybe they will have a few blown diffs too. Also the demon in stock form and yes with the crate parts on the car is covered by the warranty even on a drag strip. No mustang or Camaro warranty covers drag racing.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
I'll take the hellcat durango to trailer the car to the track please. Dodge just has a tough attitude. I love it.