Sponsored

Just had water pump changed and now I have non stop clicking sound when the A/C is on. Any ideas??

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Could be the compressor, going on/off. Is it clicking frequently? Run AC MAX cold, if it stops, then most likely hearing a normal compressor cycle, been there since day 1.

OP
OP
SDB83

SDB83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Could be the compressor, going on/off. Is it clicking frequently? Run AC MAX cold, if it stops, then most likely hearing a normal compressor cycle, been there since day 1.
I tried to find it this morning for a while.. it’s a different clicking ticking sound than the compressor kicking on.. it’s almost like a ticking noise but not constant just randomly. You can actually hear it more clearly from in the car or laying on the ground. It’s weird. It stops when the air is off. I’m planning on just driving it seeing what happens.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So it is safe to say it's AC related. Heck I'd ask the dealer, got nothing nothing to loose.

Might have something to do with under the dash air box. It has a door in it, moves between the cold coil and the heater coil, regulates the cockpit temps.

Set the temp to MAX 60* see if it stops. The door will be full open on the cold side. Would work the same for the heat, but hell it hot so use the cold air LOL.

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Does it happen when the fan is on and whether the car is on or off?
If so, it might be one of your actuators in the blower system.
Good luck and keep us posted.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I tried to find it this morning for a while.. it’s a different clicking ticking sound than the compressor kicking on.. it’s almost like a ticking noise but not constant just randomly. You can actually hear it more clearly from in the car or laying on the ground. It’s weird. It stops when the air is off. I’m planning on just driving it seeing what happens.
In the thread title you say it's constant but here you say intermittent? You hear it in the car and laying on the ground- laying where? In front, drivers side, passenger? It happened after a water pump install and only when the ac is on.
The only connection is the belts. But the compressor and water pump, and every thing else, are on a separate belt.
So, without hearing the noise or more specific localization and your really poor description I'd guess (be worried that) the compressor is causing an extra load on the belts and pulleys which is making something tick. Possibly the tensioner or idle pulley. Or perhaps the water pump pulley isn't firmly seated or a flaw in the belt?
But, really, any of the other's guesses could be just as valid. We just don't have enough to go on.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Got to go with the tensioner as the most likely also: 2 reasons water pump now changed, belts being R&R, tension of belt now different.

Ticking not a bearing, however as the AC kicks on and off . The tensioner moves as the belt tension changes cause by the compressor load.

Good catch ya'll

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Got to go with the tensioner as the most likely also: 2 reasons water pump now changed, belts being R&R, tension of belt now different.

Ticking not a bearing, however as the AC kicks on and off . The tensioner moves as the belt tension changes cause by the compressor load.

Good catch ya'll
The AC is on a separate stretch belt. It has no impact on the tensioner.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Damn crystal ball...... needs glasses.. well then never mind... LOL

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I said that in my post. And I agree it "shouldn't" have any effect. But, from the little we know, the noise is heard in & out of the car, is only heard when the ac is on and started after the water pump install. Those three things seem to indicate there is a connection and were it mine I'd look to the belts and pullies first. Then again I would probably take a more systematic approach to troubleshooting than posting some vague "it's making noise now" post on the internet.
For all we know the compressor clutch could have coincidental picked now to start making noise.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Or I could be , ever since you changed my oil the radio doesn't work . I would venture to say it has nothing to do with the repair . He stated it seems to be coming from the inside of the car . I would put my money on an ac mode door motor .

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Sure it could. But I've never heard a mode or blend door from outside the car much less laying on the ground. Point of fact though, I've never heard a blend door make too much noise when they die. For me they just seem to stop, pointing where ever is least desirable...
Be interesting if the OP comes back with more info, or a solution.
Sponsored