Sponsored

GT350R Springs for GT (high rate, minimum lowering)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. 2nd. I said it after testing some Konis with stock PP springs :)
And I'll third it even though the PP aren't going back on - something else is. Koni clearly does not know how to do their basic rebound damping correctly. The compression side of the "velocity-dependent" Actives is I bet a simple 2-stage shim stack (or they have a spring relief on the clamp) and that seems to work. Rebound is the 'easy' side and they got it so incredibly wrong.

It's bad when you start to get that sea-sick feeling in your stomach just driving along on a straight road.
Sponsored

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
I've read about 20 pages of this thread, and I'm totally lost.
Would the GT350 springs, all around, paired with the Ford performance track dampers (M18000-F)
Be a reasonable combination? I track the car a few times a year, and daily drive it, but I'm very tolerant of a jiggly ride.

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Yeah, but I think you'd be better off with the R springs. @KellTrac has a set for sale.
Thanks for the reply, to add another variable, it's unlikely I'll move away from the stock size wheels, so my thought was the softer front spring might counteract the smaller tires tendency to understeer.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Yeah, but I think you'd be better off with the R springs. @KellTrac has a set for sale.
This!
I went with the GT350R springs and M-18000-F kit and couldn't be happier with them. I added the GT350R sway bars and it's even better.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I've read about 20 pages of this thread, and I'm totally lost.
Would the GT350 springs, all around, paired with the Ford performance track dampers (M18000-F)
Be a reasonable combination? I track the car a few times a year, and daily drive it, but I'm very tolerant of a jiggly ride.
250-ish lb/in wheel rates (R springs) can easily be daily-drivable if you have any tolerance for a firm ride. Doesn't have to end up being 'jiggly', either, but that's probably more of a damper-related issue.

Norm

Sponsored

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Contrary to popular belief, softer front springs do not do that on the mustang when it's already so soft. They're so soft stock that the front is easily overloaded. The R rates are really good.
I've read enough of this thread to know you know more about my car's ride and handling than I do. Thanks for helping me make the decision. Now I just gotta triple check the part numbers.

250-ish lb/in wheel rates (R springs) can easily be daily-drivable if you have any tolerance for a firm ride. Doesn't have to end up being 'jiggly', either, but that's probably more of a damper-related issue.

Norm
I'm definitely aware; jiggly was the wrong word, (with the possible exception of what I look like on a rough road:crackup:).
I used to daily drive an Evo8 on coilovers, whose spring rates were double what the car came with, and I actually preferred the ride.
Thanks for adding in, though.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
It's bad when you start to get that sea-sick feeling in your stomach just driving along on a straight road.
I had the same terrible sensation with my Koni derivatives. Though I didn’t like the 2016 OEM PP shocks either (leaked at 8k). Collectively, this is why I have Bilsteins now; all smiles.

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Would the gt350R struts be preferable to the ford performance track struts? The cost difference is negligible in my case.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
So the GT350R front springs would with stock PP1 struts? Can anyone confirm the .67 inch drop? Would keep my 815 lb rear J&M springs but not sure I like the 200 lb J&M fronts with spacers between the strut and fender to lessen the drop.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Fit? Yes. Work? Not great.
What wouldn’t work great? 240 lb front springs with stock struts or the 240 lb fronts with 815 rears? Bear with me, trying to learn how all these things work together.

Last edited:

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
OK so I just spent 2 hours reading all 49 pages of this thread... gotta love working from home LOL!

I don't track the car but drive it hard on twisty roads, and what I'm not crazy about with the current setup is that it feels like has a very short amount of roll before it firms up quickly. GT350R front and rear sway bars, 815 lb J&M rear springs with PP1 shocks, 210 lb J&M front springs with PP1 struts. PP2 wheels with 295/35 front and 305/35 rear tires.

Saw several posts saying that GT350R front springs and FP track struts are a pretty solid front combo. Also read that the FP struts are essentially the same as the GT350 monotube struts FR3Z-18124-U.

So my 49 page conclusion is that switching out the front setup to GT350 struts with GT350R springs would be a good combo for street driving, and would be an OK match with the existing rear setup. Correct? And would I need to buy strut mounts and/or spring isolators?

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not crazy about with the current setup is that it feels like has a very short amount of roll before it firms up quickly. GT350R front and rear sway bars, 815 lb J&M rear springs with PP1 shocks, 210 lb J&M front springs with PP1 struts.
would be an OK match with the existing rear setup. Correct?
your bars are too stiff most likely. You're not oversprung. Dampers do not set the limit of roll but the RATE of roll. Toss the rear PP1 rear shocks and get a pair of Bilstein. Or something that is adjustable for rebound. My GT doesn't pitch and dive like maybe you're used to from lesser cars?

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Toss the rear PP1 rear shocks and get a pair of Bilstein. Or something that is adjustable for rebound.
Hmm not sure it feels like the rear is giving me any problem? Or does the rear setup make the front feel like it's rolling over in turns?
Sponsored