The big Intercooler thread.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Didn't know that was even possible... I was under the assumption that you must remove the front bumper cover to access the FMIC.
For larger units yes. For stock size units no it can be done without bumper removal
Sponsored

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Edit I guess 19 -20 is normal. I read comments saying good air = less psi
Bad air = more psi needed to hit those levels.

so because I’m running 19-20 means my car is running better than it would if it was hotter running 22-24? Feels strong

I'm not sure, I hit 22+ boost at WOT and I have FP tune and CP-E IC also at 40+ weather.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I fixed my issues, I tightened everything up, there is no loss now.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
before i dive in and take the bumper off, is this black piece hanging down on the top side of the lower grill standard across all cars? is it something to take off when doing aftermarket intercooler? also i believe there is a piece of soft foam ontop of the underbelly tray / below the interocoler.
grill.jpg

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
before i dive in and take the bumper off, is this black piece hanging down on the top side of the lower grill standard across all cars? is it something to take off when doing aftermarket intercooler? also i believe there is a piece of soft foam ontop of the underbelly tray / below the interocoler.
grill.jpg
My '18 PP1 had that flap - actually had that flap covering about half the IC... one of the little clippy things was missing or never installed and it was probably blocking a lot of airflow. I either buttoned it up or got rid of it when I did the ATM install last year. I think non PP cars had shutters in the grill, but the PP cars don't have the shutters.

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Its not about making it as fast as a GT even though you can make it faster for less than the price difference between an Ecoboost and a GT. Its about having a great performing car that has better balance than a GT.

When you get right down to it the GT is in the bottom half of the Mustang performance pecking order. If power was my only concern i wouldn't bother with a GT and would go straight to a GT500 or a Hellcat, Redeye or ZL1.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Its not about making it as fast as a GT even though you can make it faster for less than the price difference between an Ecoboost and a GT. Its about having a great performing car that has better balance than a GT.

When you get right down to it the GT is in the bottom half of the Mustang performance pecking order. If power was my only concern i wouldn't bother with a GT and would go straight to a GT500 or a Hellcat, Redeye or ZL1.
Haha, he's just trolling... if you want a fast car, go get a C7 Vette. They are cheap and will eat a GT's lunch... Plus, if Ford wanted, they could drop the 3.5 Eco in a Mustang and it would outperform the GT pretty easily.

AGM2018

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion on the subject of owners modding their ecoboosts. However, let's discuss a point or two, which may provide a bit of insight, which you may have never entertained before. First, the addition of an after market intercooler on 2015+ ecoboost isn't primarily about the ability for the car to be "faster." It is done to enable to the car to produce and push cooler air to the engine, which MAY make the car a little faster; but, the target goal is to enable the engine and turbo to function more efficiently. Another improvement is the improved ability for the car to produce consistent times, due to the prevention of heat soak, which reduces horsepower.

Most owners realize when purchasing an ecoboost over a GT that their car isn't capable to "win a stoplight to stoplight race or a drag race." Many owners purchased their ecoboosts for a variety of reasons other than "pure speed" and higher horsepower. Those ecoboost owners whom you are "blowing away in races" represent, in my opinion, a small minority of the owners of ecoboosts. The majority of ecoboost owners are savvy, well-researched and well-informed owners who knew the capabilities and nature of the ecoboost upon their purchase, vice the capabilities and nature of the GT.

I have no doubt your post had no malicious or "troll like" intent, but to be honest, your comment smacks of a "5.0 Bro" who believes he has the need and requirement to tell purchasers and owners of ecoboosts that:
1. Spending any money to modify their cars is wasteful and a mistake 2. If an ecoboost owner wanted a "fast car", they should have "gotten the GT." I would like to point out, if I may please, while the ecoboost isn't nearly as fast as a GT, it IS NOT a slow car. Do you realize than the 0-60 and quarter mile times a current ecoboost will produce, even in the hands of a rudimentary driver, is on par/ "in-the-ballpark" with some the fastest times of revered 60's and 70's old school muscle cars? We live in an absolutely wonderful time for sports/muscle cars and we have been spoiled in the last 5-7 years with the plethora of factory available cars that aren't just fast...they are damn fast.

To conclude, there are many, many reasons purchasers buy an ecoboost over a GT and vice versa; it isn't, again in my opinion, a "good look" when someone, makes a "blanket statement" that ecoboosts aren't fast (which isn't true, stock or modded, especially if heavily modded and built) and ecoboost owners "should just buy a GT if they want a fast car." This rhetoric just smacks of "5.0 Bro" conceit and isn't productive nor conducive to any form of discussion or friendly debate on the forum. It only results in bickering and "in-fighting" between members who have ecoboosts and members who have GTs, when in essence, all of us are "Mustang Enthusiasts" and shouldn't be bickering and arguing on this subject at all; rather, we should all appreciate and be thankful we live in such a blessed and glorious time for sports/muscle cars...and appreciate each other's choice(s) in cars/trims/models/brands and enjoy the mustang/car hobby together, as friends and family.

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion on the subject of owners modding their ecoboosts. However, let's discuss a point or two, which may provide a bit of insight, which you may have never entertained before. First, the addition of an after market intercooler on 2015+ ecoboost isn't primarily about the ability for the car to be "faster." It is done to enable to the car to produce and push cooler air to the engine, which MAY make the car a little faster; but, the target goal is to enable the engine and turbo to function more efficiently. Another improvement is the improved ability for the car to produce consistent times, due to the prevention of heat soak, which reduces horsepower.

Most owners realize when purchasing an ecoboost over a GT that their car isn't capable to "win a stoplight to stoplight race or a drag race." Many owners purchased their ecoboosts for a variety of reasons other than "pure speed" and higher horsepower. Those ecoboost owners whom you are "blowing away in races" represent, in my opinion, a small minority of the owners of ecoboosts. The majority of ecoboost owners are savvy, well-researched and well-informed owners who knew the capabilities and nature of the ecoboost upon their purchase, vice the capabilities and nature of the GT.

I have no doubt your post had no malicious or "troll like" intent, but to be honest, your comment smacks of a "5.0 Bro" who believes he has the need and requirement to tell purchasers and owners of ecoboosts that:
1. Spending any money to modify their cars is wasteful and a mistake 2. If an ecoboost owner wanted a "fast car", they should have "gotten the GT." I would like to point out, if I may please, while the ecoboost isn't nearly as fast as a GT, it IS NOT a slow car. Do you realize than the 0-60 and quarter mile times a current ecoboost will produce, even in the hands of a rudimentary driver, is on par/ "in-the-ballpark" with some the fastest times of revered 60's and 70's old school muscle cars? We live in an absolutely wonderful time for sports/muscle cars and we have been spoiled in the last 5-7 years with the plethora of factory available cars that aren't just fast...they are damn fast.

To conclude, there are many, many reasons purchasers buy an ecoboost over a GT and vice versa; it isn't, again in my opinion, a "good look" when someone, makes a "blanket statement" that ecoboosts aren't fast (which isn't true, stock or modded, especially if heavily modded and built) and ecoboost owners "should just buy a GT if they want a fast car." This rhetoric just smacks of "5.0 Bro" conceit and isn't productive nor conducive to any form of discussion or friendly debate on the forum. It only results in bickering and "in-fighting" between members who have ecoboosts and members who have GTs, when in essence, all of us are "Mustang Enthusiasts" and shouldn't be bickering and arguing on this subject at all; rather, we should all appreciate and be thankful we live in such a blessed and glorious time for sports/muscle cars...and appreciate each other's choice(s) in cars/trims/models/brands and enjoy the mustang/car hobby together, as friends and family.

Yes. I agree with everything you say. Only I’m not one of those 5.0 bro’s. I can’t stand em. I was just trying to make a point.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
got my cvfab street intercooler installed today.
20200530_145658.jpg

Sponsored

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
D
got my cvfab street intercooler installed today.
20200530_145658.jpg
does that add more hp? I remember on the grand nationals you could put in a bigger turbo and make them crazy fast, can you do the same thing on a EcoBoost?

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Mustang GT, 2017 Lexus GX460
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered CVF race ic. Haven't got time to install it yet, but wondering if it will have negative effect w/o a tune and 3 in catted dp...

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Ordered CVF race ic. Haven't got time to install it yet, but wondering if it will have negative effect w/o a tune and 3 in catted dp...
No. Read my signature list. I have no tune yet but with my downpipe and Vortech (full race) IC my turbo spools faster which makes the car accelerate much faster than stock.

JJSSI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 EcoBoost HPP w/Handling Package, 2004 Boxster S, 2013 Jeep JK,
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a Mishimoto intercooler in my 2020 Mustang Ecoboost HPP. I decided to try to do the installation without removing the bumper cover. I removed the stock intercooler without any problems but could not get the new one in by myself because of the cover being a little too close. I removed the cover, which only took a few minutes, and installed the intercooler with no problem. This car has 2 bolts and 1 push-pin on each side to connect the cover to the fender so there are no clips to worry about breaking.

The Ford manual calls for the inlet and outlet clamps to be torqued to 48 lb in but it felt like it might strip at over 30 lb in. I check the other same size clamps and they were at 26-28 lb in. I used 2 different torque wrenches to confirm the wrench accuracy. I may replace them with T-Bolt clamps.

I compared data logs before and after. Not a real good comparison because the ambient temperature was 3 degrees cooler with the stock intercooler and I ran it a little bit harder.

The difference in the max IAT2-IAT went from 58 to 22.

With the stock IC the max ITA2 was 149
With the new IC the max ITA2 was 118

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I installed a Mishimoto intercooler in my 2020 Mustang Ecoboost HPP. I decided to try to do the installation without removing the bumper cover. I removed the stock intercooler without any problems but could not get the new one in by myself because of the cover being a little too close. I removed the cover, which only took a few minutes, and installed the intercooler with no problem. This car has 2 bolts and 1 push-pin on each side to connect the cover to the fender so there are no clips to worry about breaking.

The Ford manual calls for the inlet and outlet clamps to be torqued to 48 lb in but it felt like it might strip at over 30 lb in. I check the other same size clamps and they were at 26-28 lb in. I used 2 different torque wrenches to confirm the wrench accuracy. I may replace them with T-Bolt clamps.

I compared data logs before and after. Not a real good comparison because the ambient temperature was 3 degrees cooler with the stock intercooler and I ran it a little bit harder.

The difference in the max IAT2-IAT went from 58 to 22.

With the stock IC the max ITA2 was 149
With the new IC the max ITA2 was 118
Awesome, thanks for this info. So the intercooler on the HPP was not upgraded from the base Ecoboost? I was planning to upgrade the intercooler on mine anyways but I thought it was at least better. Good to hear about the bumper removal.
Sponsored