Sponsored

DIY oil change (2019 GT350 oil light on is on)

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I'll make completed pictures to post.

I can't find the thread on doing the oil change on my own.

I remember that I get the car up on jacks (I have some drive-on wood things to start the process). I think I turn the front wheels to the right to easily access the filter?

The 2019 GT350 will hold 10 quarts? My current oil level is at full so I figure less than 10---I'll figure that out after measuring the oil that drained. I have only 3800 miles on the car.

I'll drain the crankcase oil after warming the engine. I'll reach in to unscrew the oil filter (it will hold a quart and will make a mess). I read the manual about replacing the gaskets. The manual says the gaskets are included with the new filter?

Right or wrong? Just asking?

I have one of the faster Magnetic Mettallic cars: ;)

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I use foil to keep the filter from getting oil on the belly pan.... you'll need a torque wrench and a socket that fits the end of the filter canister.

otherwise not any diff than any other car IMO.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
You’ll need a 27mm socket. I just bought the cheapest one I could find on Amazon.
Sounds like you’re on the right track to me. Plenty of YouTube videos as well.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Yes get the car up on stands. You will not be able to "reach in and get to the filter as it is accessed from under the car through an access door held on with a Torx screw. 17ft/lbs torque on the housing and replace the two large O rings (yes, included with the new filter element), the tiny one goes in the trash. I have not had good luck with the foil method but have had great success with cardboard under the filter to catch the canister leakage. A piece large enough to form a trough extending through the access hole with a semi circle cut out to nest under the base of the housing has had my last 6 or 7 changes done without getting any on the belly pan.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I'll make completed pictures to post.

I can't find the thread on doing the oil change on my own.

I remember that I get the car up on jacks (I have some drive-on wood things to start the process). I think I turn the front wheels to the right to easily access the filter?

The 2019 GT350 will hold 10 quarts? My current oil level is at full so I figure less than 10---I'll figure that out after measuring the oil that drained. I have only 3800 miles on the car (due to the China Virus).

I'll drain the crankcase oil after warming the engine. I'll reach in to unscrew the oil filter (it will hold a quart and will make a mess). I read the manual about replacing the gaskets. The manual says the gaskets are included with the new filter?

Right or wrong? Just asking?

I have one of the faster Magnetic Mettallic cars: ;)

If you forget again, it’s in the GT350 Basics sticky:like:

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks.

I plan to keep this car for a long time since I think it is the last on the high-performance V-8 engines with the rare crank. It has a sound (bark) that will never be here again.

So, I'll service it myself. I will get this done in this long weekend. Happy Fourth of July to everyone.

Did anyone do an inspection of the old oil filter after changing it? I'll do it and look for metal savings which are bad signs of future problems (carefully open the filter). The car may seem good today, but something bad may be happening soon with metal in the filter.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Thanks.

I plan to keep this car for a long time since I think it is the last on the high-performance V-8 engines with the rare crank. It has a sound (bark) that will never be here again.

So, I'll service it myself. I will get this done in this long weekend. Happy Fourth of July to everyone.

Did anyone do an inspection of the old oil filter after changing it? I'll do it and look for metal savings which are bad signs of future problems (carefully open the filter). The car may seem good today, but something bad may be happening soon with metal in the filter.
If you find metal in the filter it would be wise to get an analysis and ID the specific metal then make a warranty claim.

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
If you find metal in the filter it would be wise to get an analysis and ID the specific metal then make a warranty claim.
I am not going to complain going into my second year of ownership. I plan to drive it really hard.

If the second year shows more metal in the filter (May, 2021), it will probably be already be blown up and destroyed. It's not again my problem. I have never seen an engine throw out rods and pistons with even low mileage after a year. Most last a long time after the first few months.

This car has a bunch of good stuff:
ghZ7Ite.jpg

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I am not going to complain going into my second year of ownership. I plan to drive it really hard.

If the second year shows more metal in the filter (May, 2021), it will probably be already be blown up and destroyed. It's not again my problem. I have never seen an engine throw out rods and pistons with even low mileage after a year. Most last a long time after the first few months.

This car has a bunch of good stuff:
ghZ7Ite.jpg

I would also suggest an oil analysis (like Blackstone). I have it done with each oil change (I do those myself).

I also recently tried the foil method when removing the filter and it did not work
as well as cardboard.

Sponsored

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
I would suggest you just let the dealer do it until it's out of warranty.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I would suggest you just let the dealer do it until it's out of warranty.
Good way to ruin a perfectly good engine. Too many instances of dealers not putting enough oil in, not putting the filter on correctly (less of a problem for 19+), etc.

Last edited:

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Looks like most have covered the basics, but I wanted to address a few of your questions...

> The oil filter does not hold a quart of oil. How much the filter holds is irrelevant, and it's accounted for in the 10 quarts. 10 quarts WITH a filter change.
>DO NOT drain the oil and measure it. Drain the oil and filter, and then refill with 10 quarts. This is full. This is correct. This next statement is crucial -- After changing and cranking the car, look at the dipstick. This is the full mark for YOUR car. If it's at the top hole, great. If it's half way, great. Just remember that spot. DO NOT add oil to fill it to the top.
>If you're going run the engine to get it warm, do not start changing the oil immediately. Let it sit for a bit to drain completely.
Sponsored