Must do's before tracking

GT350HE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reggie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I have a GT350 Heritage edition on order after owning a Boss 302 for the last 8 years. After breaking in, changing oil, and brake fluid I will be tracking it. I tracked the Boss quite a bit and have learned a few things over the years, but was curious if there is any must do's prior to tracking the GT350? What should I expect out of the stock brake pads? I have always ran an aggressive pad Gloc R18 or Carbotech XP24, I'm a little harder on brakes than the average person.

By next year I would like to find some 19x11's so I can rotate and run take off slicks, brake cooling, and aggressive pads. Trying to keep this car stockish for the most part. I found the more aftermarket items I added in the past the more maintenance there was.

Not sure if you guys make it over to the road course page, but wanted to share a great event we have coming up here in the Midwest, but attracts people from all over. Discounts till July 4th so check it out.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mustang-roundup-x-october-1-4.143778/
Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I've done 3 track sessions at Summit Point (1 Jefferson in the rain and 2 Main in the dry) with stock pads. Still plenty of life left; new OEM pads are about 9.5 mm thick and I have around 6.5 mm left. This is after 3500 street miles as well. I am doing another two sessions on the Shenandoah circuit this month and after that they will probably be at the squeakers. They slowed me down from 140 mph on the straight at Summit Main quite well. My instructor who has a race prepped GT with Brembos and hawk pads was impressed. But I am just a novice so for more intense driving maybe you will need better pads.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
There is nothing wrong with the stock pads, Track Attack uses them. You might consider a track alignment to save a little wear and tear on the tires.

Byronj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2013 Boss 302
I’d just upgrade the brake fluid and run the car as is. It’s going to be fine and then make adjustments / upgrades as you feel necessary. You won’t need brake cooling, but you might want to install springs and CC kit if you car doesn’t already have it.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Track it stock for a bit to get a feel for the changes and figure out what you/need want to change. You can drive it from the showroom to the track and have a great weekend. No changes needed.

Also, brakes only slow you down :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
GT350HE

GT350HE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reggie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I’d just upgrade the brake fluid and run the car as is. It’s going to be fine and then make adjustments / upgrades as you feel necessary. You won’t need brake cooling, but you might want to install springs and CC kit if you car doesn’t already have it.
Forgot to mention I do have the handling pack so I will max out the camber on the front. Seen others not run camber plates and rip the outside of their tires off in a couple sessions. Hopefully the stock ones give me enough adjustment.

fpGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Dodge Viper RT10, 09 Mercedes AMG C63, 18 Shelby GT350
I agree with Honeybadger. Take it to the track completely stock. Bring a quality air gauge and pyrometer. Take copious notes on tire pressures before and after each run session. Take your temperatures on inside, middle, and outside of each tire tread immediately after the run session, preferably without a cool down lap and preferably without lollygagging around in the paddock. The pyrometer will tell you if you have too much or too little camber.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I went with the Gloc R12 front/R10 Rear combo for HPDE day and Gloc GS1 pads for everyday. The stock pads are just fine but are much higher dust than GS1’s. I highly doubt you’d need to go more aggressive than R12/10’s.

If you’re going to be swapping pads semi-regularly, I can’t say enough good things about the caliperfextion studs and extension sleeves for the front brakes. These things are gold and I think they’re a must have!
https://caliperfexion.net/

I maxed out my camber on the handling pack plates and I still have poor outer wear on the tires..... inevitable unfortunately.

You’re going to love the car!!

Venom52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500 CFTP, 23 Durango SRT 392
As stated above drive it first and see what needs to be changed. Minimum start with a track alignment
Sponsored