Sponsored

GT350R at MSRP is tempting... but is it worth trading in GT350?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
How many owners swap out the CF wheels and Cup 2s almost immediately thus really ruining what makes the R special so it can be more liveable on the street.

Be honest with yourself and how you will use the car then make the decision. For me my 19 standard is plenty if I want more car I'd rather spend additional dollars on a 500.
Totally agreed on the CF wheels and the Cup 2 tires certainly help make the R special and along with the rear seat delete and rear CF wing.

I realize that many R model owners swap the above CF wheels and Cup 2 tires but can honestly can say that the group of car buddies that I hang with in different parts of this great country I can honestly say that there is not one of them that have gone that direction.

Kind of reminds me of my former brother in law who would always order a deluxe burger but would always ask them to hold the cheese, bacon, lettuce and mustard.:facepalm:
Sponsored

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
How many owners swap out the CF wheels and Cup 2s almost immediately thus really ruining what makes the R special so it can be more liveable on the street.

Be honest with yourself and how you will use the car then make the decision. For me my 19 standard is plenty if I want more car I'd rather spend additional dollars on a 500.
I didn’t buy an R to preserve the wheels for the next owner. Never understood the people that do this. If something happens it happens. I have wheel insurance

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
I think most with the base model will always lust after the R, in some ways justifiable if they are track rats. But for others, could it be, in a way, just "keeping up with the Jones's", and I want everyone to love my car. Most people that will compliment your car will also be educated about Mustangs already, and.... know about the R...which your's ain't. I sometimes wonder if the R was less money and more common, and the base was considered an upgrade luxury version, if some lust would go the other way. Omega vs Rolex.

As others stated....cooled seats, a back seat (used or not) that can be folded flat (more motor sounds and lots of room), sits low but not hitting EVERY curb with the front splitter, etc are some of the reasons that day to day, street owners should be more happy with base

I have seen a lot of comments about pre-2019 GT350 owners going to the R and saying it is definitely better with the R. I'd be interested when a newer 2019 owners goes from base to R. Or drives their buddies but after they REALLY knows theirs and take the same roads, etc

When I first started looking for a GT350, I saw a avalanche grey 2017 R with the new replaced 2019 motor, and it was in my area, and a great price. But I was still trying to learn about the cars so I was in the research phase and didn't know much about them yet. If I knew then what I know now, I would have that R in my garage. At the time the changed motors were seen as bad, knocked the price down, and could change future collectors status. F that. It's my car, and I'd be more then happy with a new motor!

In the end, it's your money and your happiness. In my case, if I got a new R, I think my wife would not like the seats and therefore want to take her car on family visits, etc. I'd be scraping curbs (I already do time to time now), not have room to pack as much, etc etc. These are things I love about base. But the biggest thing is the price, I am not sure I myself could enjoy the car knowing it was yet another 20k or what have you. I still have kids and think about retirement, which you may not in my pickle, but I think if I personally spent that difference it would be a buzz kill and take away from me being able to enjoy it to the fullest (background guilt). It would have to be "Gods Gift" fantastic for the money difference for me...but your mileage may vary

But deep down do I think the R must be the superior car? It probably is.... I think Ford would of made damm sure of it.

The Avalanche is just a fantastic color, agreed. I love it. But some of the new colors ain't so bad either.

Last edited:

Chumley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350, '18 GOLF R, '09 BMW 335
For me it would come down to what the actual "all in" cost would be. NOT simply if I can afford it. I'm guessing after all the dust settles, taxes, etc. $30K is unlikely and $35K is probably closer the the real number. All things being equal the R is more collectible for sure but the real crazy $$ on sites like BAT is almost always for a 15 year old car in mint condition with 3,000 miles that looks like it's never been driven. As sharp and unique as your current ride is (I honestly have never seen Avalanche in the wild), I'd much rather have your car AND a mint S2000, project S550, or ?? for the same $30-$35K.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly have never seen Avalanche in the wild
you definitely should. I've seen 3 so far this year. One with torquise pinstripe was just lovely.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
To the OP, like others have posted it is worthwhile to see what they offer and where the financial difference ends up. It will probably be around $35k to $40k difference, and then you can make a decision based on your own budget. Either way that you decide you are a winner. :like:

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
AG is such a beautiful color. reminds me a little of porsche's nardo gray (which is a bit stronger gray, i think). anyway, tough choice but i agree with others that total net difference is probably going to be $35k'ish. i think that's a lot to "upgrade" to an R. i've got a few buddies locally that have non-R AG gt350s and they are so nice. i say stick with your non-R.

fullsizeoutput_534_83f8c63c67c42a7003c8c0806c6ed830769879e5.jpg

User5.2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS3
Last fall, I traded in my 2016 Tech AG with black roof, no stripe, for a 2019 R in PB with a white stripe. I had added a DIY transmission cooler, subwoofer and replaced the resonator with a Corsa X-pipe. I really like AG but the blue with white stripe looks good too. I am happy with the B&O stereo - it's subwoofer is good enough. And the R exhaust sounds better than my old car. Also, the R seems to ride more solid. Looks like August will be my first time on the track with the R - I can't wait! I just swapped the all season tires/wheels with the carbon/cup2 and plan to leave them on for the remainder of the summer.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Wow this is a great thinktank “ of great ideas; one that hasn’t been brought up though.as history repeats itself “ You have a 2017 GT350? And you have been modifying it for better performance. At much cost;I know many that bought 1966 Mustang fastback’s Or coupes that wanted to make their cars like a Shelby so they started adding on parts like a Shelby . Some exceeding the cost of a low mile used real “ Shelby. So now I’m Convinced that for smart money; find a low mile “R” that someone else has taken the depreciation on like you did yours and it would be a parity and you would be a win-win as your depreciation would now become very low in the future if any at all. And so many have brought up the concern about running carbon fiber wheels? I believe because of the low profile tires on either the alloy wheels on the regular 350 or the carbon fiber wheels on the R they would be damaged on that pothole, and the carbon fiber wheels are repairable through a company in California called Spyder Composites mine is going in for a six to $800 repair and does not have to have the wheel replaced. So To conclude my thoughts , sell your car out right for the best you can get out of it make your best purchase of a 2016 or 17 low mile GT350R; and it will not be that much of a difference and you will be happy that you have a genuine low build number collectible “R” with all that level performance : just alone the carbon fiber bits that are on the car are worth close to $28,000 ( wheels and wing) go get your dream

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Paid off is nice. If I were to swing around on payments again it sure wouldn’t be on almost the same car. I’d go GT500
Nothing is better than to have a badass car and have it paid off. For the price of the GT500, I'd rather go with classic muscle car, like the '71 Plymouth Cuda :sunglasses:

I do agree with what others are saying here, I would say keep the GT350, you loose alot of practicality with the GT350R. Thats why I went with the GT350 instead of the R and unless you religiously go to the track, you'll have to spend more money swapping out the tires and wheels to make it practical. Even though the stock GT350R is 'faster' than the GT350, you can easily make the GT350 faster with the price difference you'll pay. Aftermarket tuning always beats OEM in terms of raw performance. If I had the money I would take both, but I would use the GT350R rarely.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but I don't think it even matters if its 'slower', at the end of the day lap times are just numbers, there will always be faster cars and someone faster than you. Unless you are Lewis Hamilton its really doesn't matter. At the end of the day you are just there to have fun I know too many people that get sucked into the hole of lap times, 0-60 times, and 1/4 times, unless you are a professional driver and getting paid by sponsors to race I don't really see the point.

Last edited:

Sponsored

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Why does everyone keep saying that a "rear seat delete" is a selling point on an "R"?

Keep your paid off gt350, or sell it to me for $25k.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing is better than to have a badass car and have it paid off. For the price of the GT500, I'd rather go with classic muscle car, like the '71 Plymouth Cuda :sunglasses:

I do agree with what others are saying here, I would say keep the GT350, you loose alot of practicality with the GT350R. Thats why I went with the GT350 instead of the R and unless you religiously go to the track, you'll have to spend more money swapping out the tires and wheels to make it practical. Even though the stock GT350R is 'faster' than the GT350, you can easily make the GT350 faster with the price difference you'll pay. Aftermarket tuning always beats OEM in terms of raw performance. If I had the money I would take both, but I would use the GT350R rarely.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but I don't think it even matters if its 'slower', at the end of the day lap times are just numbers, there will always be faster cars and someone faster than you. Unless you are Lewis Hamilton its really doesn't matter. At the end of the day you are just there to have fun I know too many people that get sucked into the hole of lap times, 0-60 times, and 1/4 times, unless you are a professional driver and getting paid by sponsors to race I don't really see the point.
Both your dog and I agree with you.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Personally I think you should stick with what you have and that it would be a waste of money.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

I agree totally with your last sentence as at the end of the day all of us automotive and Blue Oval enthusiasts are just here to have some great fun with our Mustangs whether they be a GT350 or a GT350R as they are both outstanding Mustang automobiles.:clap:

Having said that it all comes down to a personal choice as to what type of driving experience that we all want to be engaged in and whether a 4 seat GT350 is more practical and more suited to someone's present driving needs or whether a 2 seat GT350R might be the car of choice I suggest that we are very fortunate to have a choice in models to choose from.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Of course this is all subject to the economic factor that comes into play and I certainly get that important part of the equation as well.

One comment that I would like to pass along based on having owned a number of R models is that I have never felt that I have had to give up any practicality of driving an R model on the street and personally have never given a second thought about swapping out the OEM CF wheels and Cup 2 tires for some after market units as I consider both the OEM CF wheels and tires a big part of why I chose to purchase and drive this vehicle in the first place regardless if it was on the street or track.

Bottom line is that the GT350 and the GT350R are both outstanding Shelby Mustang automobiles and whatever model is chosen I know that we are all winners with the outstanding 5.2L FPC engine being the heart and soul for both Shelby models and the common denominator that allows us all to have a great deal of fun with these very cool Mustangs!

:like::like:

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I agree totally with your last sentence as at the end of the day all of us automotive and Blue Oval enthusiasts are just here to have some great fun with our Mustangs whether they be a GT350 or a GT350R as they are both outstanding Mustang automobiles.:clap:

Having said that it all comes down to a personal choice as to what type of driving experience that we all want to be engaged in and whether a 4 seat GT350 is more practical and more suited to someone's present driving needs or whether a 2 seat GT350R might be the car of choice I suggest that we are very fortunate to have a choice in models to choose from.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Of course this is all subject to the economic factor that comes into play and I certainly get that important part of the equation as well.

One comment that I would like to pass along based on having owned a number of R models is that I have never felt that I have had to give up any practicality of driving an R model on the street and personally have never given a second thought about swapping out the OEM CF wheels and Cup 2 tires for some after market units as I consider both the OEM CF wheels and tires a big part of why I chose to purchase and drive this vehicle in the first place regardless if it was on the street or track.

Bottom line is that the GT350 and the GT350R are both outstanding Shelby Mustang automobiles and whatever model is chosen I know that we are all winners with the outstanding 5.2L FPC engine being the heart and soul for both Shelby models and the common denominator that allows us all to have a great deal of fun with these very cool Mustangs!

:like::like:
You do make a good point, I am glad that we are in a situation that we can make the choice if we want something a bit more hardcore if we please rather than only being stuck with the non R or the R as the only choice. As much as I drool over the original '65 GT350 if I were to go back in time to 1965, I hate to admit it but I probably would have passed up on it because it was pretty hardcore.

Now we both can engine that 5.2L FPC. It appeals to different people and gives them the option to choose what they want and Im glad Ford realized that. Just like the Recaro seats, I'd rather have the leather seats instead just because I like my bum to be warm when I drive. The GT350R is just too hardcore for me right now, as it would be my first sports car, if I had another one than I would be all over it. I do love the spoiler, I wish it could have been an option for the regular GT350, but the GT500 wing with the flap looks pretty good still. If there only was the GT350R I would have gone with the Hellcat Challenger :giggle: (I am a Mopar fanboy, but Shelby Cobras are on a different level). Either way, you are right we both are winners because we get to choose how we get enjoy the engine. Some will look at my car and grimace at my seats or the carbon fiber dashboard or thats its not an GT350R but thats okay, they won't be the one sitting behind the wheel:)

In future I will consider getting a GT350R, but that will depend on if I like the next generation of the GT350. That is great that you are one of the people who don't take off the immediately take off the wheels :clap: I feel like it completely defeats the purpose of having carbon fiber wheels. I understand they are expensive but that is what makes the GT350R unique.

I could be wrong but I feel like Ford thought about this dilemma with the GT500 and offered the 'R' version as an option (carbon fiber track pack) instead of building and having having two different car models, like the GT350/GT350R. I feel like they save money that way as they can keep the car production volume lower to ensure more sales.
Sponsored

Last edited: