Sponsored

Who has a reverse LED bulb? Need your input, please.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey guys, sorry for the bother, but need your help with a reverse LED bulb issue I had. And you'll also learn something I'm sure you didn't know in the process. I posted this here because I suspect only cars with the new digital dash might have my issue.

So here it goes. But first, something you should know already: When R is selected, power to the rear-view mirror is cut out completely, so the mirror gets clear (it's in the manual). Now, this is my issue, which took me a while to figure out, so happy to help other owners: Our reverse bulb is monitored, meaning if it burns out, there's no power to the rear-view mirror until replaced. I initially thought it was a glitch in Ford's programming, since this probably rarely happens, but maybe it's the intended way to signal us that it's burned (similar to the turn-signals hyper-flashing), since there's no dash warning. Therefore, when you install a non-CANbus LED bulb, like I inadvertently did, 2 things happen. First, it's like if we had a burned out bulb. And second, the damn thing is lit all the time, although at a reduced intensity. After I found that out, that's when I suspected why my V1 wasn't working anymore (it's connected to the mirror, via a MirrorTap cable). I was about to order a new $40 cable, when I discovered the 'issue'.

So yes, after removing the lit LED (tranny in N), the stock one didn't light up anymore. But after selecting R, it did. And so did my V1, so all was back to normal.

Finally, James from Diode Dynamics couldn't tell me if his bulbs had resistors (CANbus compatible), so I'm not going to order them blindly, and throw away even more money. What I want is that another Bullitt owner who installed an LED reverse bulb to check that it's not lit in N, AND that the rear-view mirror is working (only way to tell is if it gets dark. Or measure voltage with a multi-meter at the leftmost 2 leads after removing the plug). And then, post which LED bulb you have, so we can buy it knowing it'd work. If you don't have a radar connected to the mirror, and never see the reverse light, you might not even be aware of that issue, but still have it, like I did :). Thank you gang. Otherwise, I'd probably order this pair I found on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-White...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649), but they're probably Chinese crap, due to spelling errors, made in China, and are quite cheap). But nothing else that I want, since they'd look really bad from behind when off, which would be most of the time. But hope somebody can vouch for one of the DD ones, since I already have their excellent rear LED reflectors. Thanks gang.
JC
Sponsored

traktrbeam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford GT Premium PP1
I don't know if having the digital dash matters (I don't have one), but I just got a LED bulb from Autozone, plug and play, no issues.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
I have the DD HP11 installed and it works as advertised. No issues.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Running this on my Bullitt with no issues.
Hmmm. That's weird. It's NOT a CANbus bulb (no built-in resistors). Did you check that your rear-view mirror has power? And that the bulb doesn't lit when not in reverse? The problem is it doesn't do both things all the time, so unless you pay attention, or have a detector powered from the mirror (like I do), you wouldn't notice. I'm just going to buy a CANbus one, to avoid any further issues :).

I wanted the HP11 from DD, but don't think it's CANbus either. And it's been back-ordered forever. Will order the Chinese ones from eBay, and see what happens when they arrive in 2 weeks. Thanks gang.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I checked my car yesterday when I left work. I have a non CANbus LED reverse light and my mirror works as it should; tinting in any gear other than reverse and going completely clear in reverse.
Not a Bullitt, not a digital dash if that matters.

That ebay one has a built in chip supposedly to prevent CANbus errors. Let us know how it works out.
The one I have has no CANbus resistor that I can see unless it's built into the base.
3156-led-bulb-28-smd-led-tower-wedge-retrofit.jpg

At 550 lumens it's incredibly bright white light. Half as much as the ebay link in the OP which is 1200 lumens. :sun::sunglasses:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I checked my car yesterday when I left work. I have a non CANbus LED reverse light and my mirror works as it should; tinting in any gear other than reverse and going completely clear in reverse.
Not a Bullitt, not a digital dash if that matters.

That ebay one has a built in chip supposedly to prevent CANbus errors. Let us know how it works out.
The one I have has no CANbus resistor that I can see unless it's built into the base.
3156-led-bulb-28-smd-led-tower-wedge-retrofit.jpg

At 550 lumens it's incredibly bright white light. Half as much as the ebay link in the OP which is 1200 lumens. :sun::sunglasses:
Owners were reporting issues before the digital dash came out. Some folks had them, some didn't. That's when DD came out with the anti-flicker modules. DD has been around for awhile. I fairly certain they would know about issues with the digital dash.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
At 550 lumens, it's incredibly bright white light. Half as much as the ebay link in the OP which is 1200 lumens. :sun::sunglasses:
I ordered those eBay bulbs yesterday. But no way they're 1,200 lumens. Or even 550. Ha ha. But should be brighter than stock. Will report if they worked, which they should. But the better question is how long they'll last. Ha ha. At least I'm getting 2 :).

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I ordered those eBay bulbs yesterday. But no way they're 1,200 lumens. Or even 550. Ha ha. But should be brighter than stock. Will report if they worked, which they should. But the better question is how long they'll last. Ha ha. At least I'm getting 2 :).
For sure they will be brighter than stock. Good thing is we drive forward most of the time. :giggle: So they should last a good while.

Just checked the datasheet for the SMD LED's used in that bulb. Based on the number of LED's that bulb should provide close to the advertised lumen output. I calculated approximately 1125lumens. Likely they have a driver chip and pulse the LED's to get the lumen output.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Really? An accurate description on eBay? Ha ha. One of the pictures say 'IC drivers' and built-in resistors. Maybe that's what you meant. My only worry is they sell an identical bulb but without CANbus compatibility, so hope to get the right one. We'll see.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Really? An accurate description on eBay? Ha ha. One of the pictures say 'IC drivers' and built-in resistors. Maybe that's what you meant. My only worry is they sell an identical bulb but without CANbus compatibility, so hope to get the right one. We'll see.
I know crazy as it sounds... they might actually be telling the truth.