Sponsored

Ford Performance Tune vs going Cobb and custom tune

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
I can’t decide if the Cobb AP with a custom tune is worth the cost over going with the Ford Performance tune for my situation.

I’ve had the car for 3 years and I’m looking for some more oomph. I’m at 40k miles and it’s a daily driver so reliability is a concern. It’s an Automatic.

I’ve done a few mods in prep for the tune over the past year:
CPE Front mount Intercooler
Airraid MIT with a drop in filter

I will be purchasing pre gapped colder plugs and a replacement LSP sensor since I just checked and saw mine is the old version.

If I’m being honest I probably won’t do any more engine upgrades other than what I’ve done. I may do an exhaust in the future but not a down pipe.

FP tune comes with a tranny tune which I’d like. I think it would fit the bill. But I hate that I have no capability to see what the car is doing like the Cobb AP would do. Plus I’m going to have to get a laptop from someone so I can upload the FP tune as well so a bit of hassle there where the Cobb is more convenient.

What are everyone’s thoughts?
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Go with a protune. Yes it's more expensive but it's worth it. I would imagine that the Ford tune is similar to the Cobb tune. Good, better than stock but not great. When I went from a Cobb tune to a PD Tuning protune the results were bonkers. Better in every way. My car feels very dialed in.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Protune is always the best bet. Always.

But if, as you say, you NEVER plan on swapping out the down pipe, you could live happily with the Ford or Cobb tune...but much like an indoor cat whose never experienced anything else.

Eco206

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erick
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
I have never tried ford performance tune, but have worked with both purple drank and tune plus. Both custom tuners are great options purple drank much easier to work with in my opinion.

OP
OP

BigChief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Coupe, 19 GT350
I have never tried ford performance tune, but have worked with both purple drank and tune plus. Both custom tuners are great options purple drank much easier to work with in my opinion.
Thanks all for the help. Does anyone know the hp/tq numbers between Cobb OTS stage 1 and 2 vs Ford tune?

Sponsored

Eco206

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erick
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost
Thanks all for the help. Does anyone know the hp/tq numbers between Cobb OTS stage 1 and 2 vs Ford tune?
My accessport read 330hp/ tq? At stage 1 and 377hp/tq? At stage 2. I never gained much from stage 2 to stage 3. All mine were at 93 octane. Just from what ive read and been told the accessport is crank numbers and is not very accurate, with all my mods it says I only make like 360 hp now and about 420 tq.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
My best guess as I don't have Dyno numbers is that I am making about 310 to 330 hp to the wheels and 370 to 400 tq. This is based on others that use 91 and have my mods or similar mods. To me this is the sweet spot with this car. Sure more power would be nice but safety is a better piece of mind. I'd rather leave power on the table and have a safe and reliable tune than squeeze every last drop of power out of the motor.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
I had a cobb stage 3 dyno'd on a mustang 150 dyno at 262hp 348lbs. Pro tune went to 335hp 401lbs

both the cobb tune tq's peak at 2800rpm and drop after that. Pro tune peak is 3300 and is a flat line until the stock turbo starts to run out(at 26psi) at 4500 and falls off a little but not much(22 psi)

cobb tune like any canned tune is "safe" to suit 99% of the cars out there

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Get a Cobb Accessport and a tune from a tuner like Adam Brunson @Tune Plus, or Alex @Stratified. While a off the shelf tune is ok, a custom tune will get you a bit more and is tailored to your car. Plus if you decide to go with a ethanol tune to get more HP, a custom tune is the way to go.

16MustangEco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I have a Cobb tune. I installed a cold air intake and tuned it for 93 octane. I noticed that when I was cruising around 40 MPH in traffic, if I wanted to pass somebody, I would usually down shift to 3rd. After I did the tune, it added so much lower end torque that was I able to just leave it in 4th gear and step on it. It had plenty of torque without the need to downshift any longer. The only thing that sucks is having to put premium 93 all the time. 87 is so much cheaper. If you own an Ecoboost, you're kidding yourself to put cheap gas anyway. You should always us at least 91 at all times if you want to enjoy it.
Sponsored