Sponsored

GT350R at MSRP is tempting... but is it worth trading in GT350?

OP
OP
BoomBoy

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Back in the day, a $10k mark up for a regular GT350 was the norm around here. A GT350R could be had for $30k mark up or more. I got mine for almost $70k. I love the car so much. GT500 doesn’t interest me. The GT350 is just that good I’m considering a GT350R but it’s probably not enough to give mine away. I’d love to own both but I’m not in that situation right now.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't think a GT350R is worth the difference in price unless you are wealthy enough to pay cash for the R and not feel a sting. For example, many people buy the R and then are afraid to use the factory rims (because they are too expensive to replace). Many people don't use the Cup 2 tires because they wear out too quickly and are too expensive to replace.

If you have enough money to run the factory equipment and replace components as necessary when they wear out or are damaged, then I would say the R is a great way to go. There's no question that the carbon fiber wheels are amazing.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I don't think a GT350R is worth the difference in price unless you are wealthy enough to pay cash for the R and not feel a sting. For example, many people buy the R and then are afraid to use the factory rims (because they are too expensive to replace). Many people don't use the Cup 2 tires because they wear out too quickly and are too expensive to replace.

If you have enough money to run the factory equipment and replace components as necessary when they wear out or are damaged, then I would say the R is a great way to go. There's no question that the carbon fiber wheels are amazing.
Yeah I started to rationalize owning an R and for me it didn’t make sense. I actually use the backseats so I would need purchase rear seats. I would be paranoid using the carbon fiber wheels on our roads here. So that means I would likely have to buy aftermarket wheels, at least for most of the year. I also would not want to daily drive Cup2’s. So it really defeats a big part of owning the R vs the 350. Now I do some occasional track days, but I’m a novice driver and I can always modify my GT350 suspension anyway to make up most of the difference.

I get why people buy an R, but for me it didn’t make sense.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
For me getting R wasn't worth. I can barely make out of my driveway without scratching bottom of front lip, never mind R. Also, the most difference in price between two are CF wheels which I wouldn't use in normal driving anyway. So, no justification for me.

Sponsored

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
If you are not tracking the car, it isn't worth the extra.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah I started to rationalize owning an R and for me it didn’t make sense. I actually use the backseats so I would need purchase rear seats. I would be paranoid using the carbon fiber wheels on our roads here. So that means I would likely have to buy aftermarket wheels, at least for most of the year. I also would not want to daily drive Cup2’s. So it really defeats a big part of owning the R vs the 350. Now I do some occasional track days, but I’m a novice driver and I can always modify my GT350 suspension anyway to make up most of the difference.

I get why people buy an R, but for me it didn’t make sense.
It makes sense to buy different tires for commuting in. And I do understand having 2 sets of rims for different tires. I had a winter and a summer set previously. I agree with what you are saying that the R isn't right for your use case.

I think even if you spend a bunch of time at the track it doesn't automatically mean that the R is better for you. It just depends on if you can afford all the consumables that go with it. Some people don't use the carbon fiber wheels on track and to me that is a sin.

OP
OP
BoomBoy

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
If you are not tracking the car, it isn't worth the extra.
Each to their own and totally disagree with your comments.

I have extensively driven both Tech Pack, Track Pack and R models and still own a Track Pack and Base R model.

Certainly with no disrespect to my Track Pack car but the R model driving experience is certainly much more engaging and exhilarating on both the street on the track and suggest that the extra cost associated with an R model is vastly outweighed by the increased and much enhanced driving experience of an R model.

To suggest for any of us to fully enjoy an R model and appreciate what that car does in its entirety that these models should only be driven on the track certainly does not apply to me nor to pretty much most of the R model owners that I know and communicate with.

Of the ~3,500 R models that will be built over the 6 models years there is a very small percentage of that number who will/have actually tracked their R model with the vast majority of R model owners electing to keep their cars for street use just as myself and many of my car buddies do.

To the OP it sounds like to me that you have put a lot of heart and soul into your car which includes some nice upgrades therefore I can certainly understand why you are having a difficult decision on which way to go.

If finances are going to be tight then I suggest that you stay with what you already have as your car sounds like a very nice set up as is but if finances are not going to be a major concern then I suggest that you take a strong look at moving over to an R model and suggest that you will be happy that you did.:wink:

Good luck and keep us posted on your final decision!

:)

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
FWIW, my "regular" GT350 wipes the floor with my buddies who have Rs. Lightly modded :)
2019-12-14_EA_COTA_RP_8184.jpg

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
FWIW, my "regular" GT350 wipes the floor with my buddies who have Rs. Lightly modded :)
2019-12-14_EA_COTA_RP_8184.jpg
Too funny as I like the "Lightly modded" part of your post!!:wink::wink:

In addition to your "lightly modded Regular GT350" I would like to know how much seat time that your buddies have in their R models compared to your extensive seat time?

Back in 1987 I was auto crossing a 1987 Mustang 5.0 LX Notchback (and also a 1986 GLH) as that model had the most rigid Mustang body at the time and thought that I was a pretty decent driver until I let the President of the VCMC (Vancouver Chinese Motorsport Club) drive my car with myself in the jump seat.

I originally ran a couple of practice laps and then a hot lap on the course and thought that I had posted a pretty good time after which time this individual who had never driven my car before got in and just destroyed my best time and he had never even driven a Mustang up that point as he was a Porsche guy and as we all know those Mustangs had a great deal of understeer but that did not deter him one bit.

Kevin, I get what you are saying but you and I both know that it is all relatively speaking when it comes to slightly modded vehicles but most importantly seat time and experienced drivers such as yourself!!

Thanks for your many posts over the years as I enjoy them a great deal.

:like::like:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Too funny as I like the "Lightly modded" part of your post!!:wink::wink:

In addition to your "lightly modded Regular GT350" I would like to know how much seat time that your buddies have in their R models compared to your extensive seat time?

Back in 1987 I was auto crossing a 1987 Mustang 5.0 LX Notchback (and also a 1986 GLH) as that model had the most rigid Mustang body at the time and thought that I was a pretty decent driver until I let the President of the VCMC (Vancouver Chinese Motorsport Club) drive my car with myself in the jump seat.

I originally ran a couple of practice laps and then a hot lap on the course and thought that I had posted a pretty good time after which time this individual who had never driven my car before got in and just destroyed my best time and he had never even driven a Mustang up that point as he was a Porsche guy and as we all know those Mustangs had a great deal of understeer but that did not deter him one bit.

Kevin, I get what you are saying but you and I both know that it is all relatively speaking when it comes to slightly modded vehicles but most importantly seat time and experienced drivers such as yourself!!

Thanks for your many posts over the years as I enjoy them a great deal.

:like::like:
I'm mostly just trollin' while procrastinating at work. Honestly, the Non-R vs. R really comes down to collectiblility. A non-R can outperform the R easily with fewer $$. It was close at the original cost, but with the increase in MSRP it's not really close anymore. The CF bits are badass and the suspension tuning is a bit better. But the performance isn't enough to warrant the price purely based on performance. Give me a stock GT350 and some slicks and I'll wax my own time in an R. Put some lightweight wheels, R aero, and Cup2s on a non-R and it's down to who has the cleaner lap IME.

The CF bits are what make the R cool. They'll be cool forever. If you plan to keep it, they're worth the $$$, IMHO.

Regarding my car, I was actually just talking some gents about that. My car runs low 2:20s at COTA consistently on good tires. With coilovers, I'd expect to drop 3-4 seconds at COTA. I lose a ton in a couple of key corners due to understeer/oversteer from weight transfer.

A stock R will have to work VERY hard to get below 2:30. I ran a 2:32 on stock R aero and sticker cup2s as my best. Given my laps there now, I could probably squeeze into the high 20s on a 10/10ths lap. But it would take some luck on traffic and grip. I'd love to know what Billy Johnson or Jade Buford could turn at COTA in a stock R. I'm sure I'd just pack up and go home in shame.

I found this video of me chasing down another member here on 6G and when we spoke after the session, he said he was not lifting for me, so you can see HB pulls decent on the straights (even with light lifts waiting for point-bys) and REALLY carries speed in high speed corners because of the aero.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It’s still missing the aero package
FP catalog, around $1300? Or $300 knock offs from Ebay. Anderson has theirs for around a grand, too I think.

CF wheels
$13,000(?) on a new set currently being advertised on this forum. They come up a few times a year.
rear seats delete
$250?
$1500 to tire rack or numerous $1000 deals on this forum
special maganride tuning
Spend $1600 and get the aftermarket tuner that just drops in and tune till you're sick of it.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Spend $1600 and get the aftermarket tuner that just drops in and tune till you're sick of it.
That thing is garbage. I wouldn't recommend touching that. FP lower springs and bars are plenty, tho.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
How many owners swap out the CF wheels and Cup 2s almost immediately thus really ruining what makes the R special so it can be more liveable on the street.

Be honest with yourself and how you will use the car then make the decision. For me my 19 standard is plenty if I want more car I'd rather spend additional dollars on a 500.
Sponsored