Sponsored

Getting the new rev match feature on our 350s

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I always pass thru neutral FIRST (I think), and I am not sure if I actually did that...it may of been from 4th the 2nd ....then again, it may of been 3rd to 1st....

But ....did they say why? And maybe whatever the reason is not to, if I DID do that, that's why it gets the car to buck a little?

Anyone else has some minor jerking/bucking?

I may of done it twice....ever.... but getting un understanding of this really helps. I will know not to do it ever again, if I had!!!!
The reason your car bucked when you downshifted into 1st is that you probably did not rev-match correctly. I've chirped the tires when downshifting into 3rd at the track because I did not rev-match correctly; messed up the heel toe and revs dropped too much before releasing the clutch.

You run the risk of over-revving the engine if you shift into 1st at too high a speed.

Another reason is that you risk mechanically damaging the transmission. I am not sure about the GT350, but on my 2012 GT with the MT-82, the manual had specific instructions that shifting into 1st above a certain speed (something like 10 mph) will damage the transmission.
Sponsored

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
The reason your car bucked when you downshifted into 1st is that you probably did not rev-match correctly. I've chirped the tires when downshifting into 3rd at the track because I did not rev-match correctly; messed up the heel toe and revs dropped too much before releasing the clutch.

You run the risk of over-revving the engine if you shift into 1st at too high a speed.

Another reason is that you risk mechanically damaging the transmission. I am not sure about the GT350, but on my 2012 GT with the MT-82, the manual had specific instructions that shifting into 1st above a certain speed (something like 10 mph) will damage the transmission.
Is the sign that you rev matched correctly is that the speed your engine was at when you had the clutch pushed in / disengaged, is about the same speed when you let the clutch back in/ re-engaged?

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Is the sign that you rev matched correctly is that the speed your engine was at when you had the clutch pushed in / disengaged, is about the same speed when you let the clutch back in/ re-engaged?
Yup that is when things are smooth as butter.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
The premature shift into first is problematic for tranny longevity.first is just there to get you rolling... itā€™s not a commute gear.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Can we start a door to door petition and send it to Ford performance? (ha ha)

Unrelated shifting "newbie" question: sometimes when I down shift (say I am at 2K RPM and I am trying to do a spirited downshift/ pass) I may jump down a few gears to land at 4 or 5k, and get the sleepy horse moving. But sometimes in a low gear like 3rd to 1st, I get jerking. Anyone else? Is that the clutch trying to grab, motor freaking, or ??? I don't think I am rev matching. If it doesn't want to go into that gear, I won't do it, but it the shifter takes it, so do I

Maybe I am beating the wife too much and she don't wanna play along anymore? (actually, I mostly baby her. I mean the car of course....)
I experienced the same thing a couple of times and figured out you need to release the clutch slowly and give it more gas than you would think. As others have stated, if youā€™re rolling over a couple mph, drop into 2nd and gas it.

Sponsored

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I was never a fan of rev-match until I bought a car with it recently. Last weekend I got out of my new Porsche GTS 4.0 and into my GT350 and kept letting the clutch out upon downshift without rev matching, expecting the car to do it for me, and was surprised every time by the forward lurch. "Hey, what's going on here?" Yes, it's nice. And I can see how good it will be on the track. Smooth as silk! I can heel/toe, but not nearly as good as rev-match. It's nice.

Ford, please offer the upgrade!

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I wish they would also offer, would be happy to pay for it. Just do not want aftermarket.

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
72 Mach 1, 72 F250 2wd, 18 GT350, 22 Bronco 2 Door

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I wish they would also offer, would be happy to pay for it. Just do not want aftermarket.
This has come up before. I do not remember the reason but itā€™s a hardware issue inside the transmission, not just a program.
Believe thisā€¦.someone would have already figured this out if it was just software.
Only thing available is an aftermarket alternative.
That said, Iā€™ve not done it because I donā€™t want Ford to use it to deny a warranty claim, but thatā€™s just me. I also have access to top notch mechanics and still wonā€™t do it.

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
This has come up before. I do not remember the reason but itā€™s a hardware issue inside the transmission, not just a program.
Believe thisā€¦.someone would have already figured this out if it was just software.
Only thing available is an aftermarket alternative.
That said, Iā€™ve not done it because I donā€™t want Ford to use it to deny a warranty claim, but thatā€™s just me. I also have access to top notch mechanics and still wonā€™t do it.
It can be removed easily if I need to take it into Ford for any warranty work.

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
I purchased a used xineering unit from another member.
Discussion thread here:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-downshift-blip-module-install-review.143224/

I only track about 4-6 per year and this just takes one more thing off my driving plate. It works great and the quality is very good. I have an on/off switch installed so I only use it on the track.
Isn't that just a light or sound guiding you when to drop the clutch, rather than actually changing the motor speed for you automatically?

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Nope, it blips the throttle after you clutch it.

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Nope, it blips the throttle after you clutch it.
Is that more or less what the Ford one does on the Mach 1/ GT?
Sponsored