Sponsored

700+ hp 5.2L flatplane voodoo

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Obviously it's billet. Accepts the stock TB. Has it's own fuel rails. Has an SFI-certified burst pannel. You can get them in the polished version like mine or black anodized.

Supposed to better than any current intake manifold on the market, ported or not. We'll see.

FED is only like an hour from my place here in Dallas so I'm extremely lucky to be that close to them and have them as a partner/resource on my build. They are just as anxious as I am to see how this H/C/I setup works and what kind of power it makes.
Can't wait to see the results of these mods. The intake manifold will be interesting. So many questions, this is exciting.

Stock compression?
What valves are you installing?
Were the heads milled down at all or is it going to be stock compression?
Did you consider trying to increase the TB size at all?
What size headers are you going to run?

I'd like to do a similar thing but using the Plazmaman intake as I'm not far from them :)
Sponsored

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Can't wait to see the results of these mods. The intake manifold will be interesting. So many questions, this is exciting.

Stock compression?
What valves are you installing?
Were the heads milled down at all or is it going to be stock compression?
Did you consider trying to increase the TB size at all?
What size headers are you going to run?

I'd like to do a similar thing but using the Plazmaman intake as I'm not far from them :)
Stock short-block/compression from that standpoint. Wanting to see what the limit of the stock internals are N/A. Eventually will go with forged internals/sleeved block.

Valves are stock, but FED did do a valve job. Valve seals are MMR Extreme Duty Street/Race Valve Seals. Springs are Peterson/PAC GT350 spec per L&M engines. Retainers are titanium units from Manley.

FED does mill/clean the heads and they do take off a tenth so that will slightly increase the compression ratio of the motor. I will be using a stock thickness head-gasket from Cometic along with ARP head-studs.

There currently is no aftermarket TB option that I'm aware of. The only current option is to send the stock one to AFS for their porting service. I have heard mixed things about it so I'm on the fence in regards to that. I have been informed that there will potentially be a billet TB released that's larger than stock, but that is still in the R&D/testing phase from what I've been told by the company that will be doing those. The FED intake manifold will accept up to a 90mm TB.

This car is eventually going to be a twin-turbo setup so doing full L/T's is kind of a waste of money for me because they'd be coming off of the car after a few months of me running around N/A. If American Racing Headers wanted to hook me up with a 2" L/T system, I'd be more than happy to run it. Otherwise, it will be stock headers, Shifteck O/R Cat-Delete pipes, and Magnaflow Competition Cat-Back with Carbon-Fiber tips. I definitely wanted to maintain the ability to have active exhaust, but also wanted a better option than stock so that's why I went with that system. Most that are out there delete that functionality and that's just a non-starter for me.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Obviously it's billet. Accepts the stock TB. Has it's own fuel rails. Has an SFI-certified burst pannel. You can get them in the polished version like mine or black anodized.

Supposed to better than any current intake manifold on the market, ported or not. We'll see.

FED is only like an hour from my place here in Dallas so I'm extremely lucky to be that close to them and have them as a partner/resource on my build. They are just as anxious as I am to see how this H/C/I setup works and what kind of power it makes.
Appreciate it. Do you lose the strut tower brace and/or have to lower the engine? Can you provide a ballpark figure for cost? My apologies for all of the basic questions.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
Why arent you using the ford racing titanium valve kit certified up to 9000rpm

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Appreciate it. Do you lose the strut tower brace and/or have to lower the engine? Can you provide a ballpark figure for cost? My apologies for all of the basic questions.
I'm not sure on the strut tower brace and whether it will fit under that or not. We haven't been able to mock it up yet as I was waiting for the heads to get back.

In regards to cost, I believe their base price for the non-intercooled version (what I have) is like $4k. You can reach Martin Martinez at [email protected] by E-Mail or (817)-556-2434 and he can answer any questions you might have or if you want to order one.

Why arent you using the ford racing titanium valve kit certified up to 9000rpm
That is more for guys who are going to be running extremely high sustained RPM's. This is a street driven car for roll-racing. If I was going to upgrade the valves, I would have gone with Ferrea. The stock units with the valve job will be just fine if the car gets up in that range.

Sponsored

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Making some light progress here. Got the MMR billet head dowels in the block, put on Cometic head gaskets, installed ARP head studs, and got the heads on and torqued down today.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Can I ask why you didn’t go forged internals since you’re planing on a TT kit?

Can’t wait for results. Definitely excited!

Sponsored

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Can I ask why you didn’t go forged internals since you’re planing on a TT kit?

Can’t wait for results. Definitely excited!
I want to see what effects doing these modifications will do in regards to how much power can be made safely on the stock internals. Obviously, the stock rods in this motor are the major weak-link due to high cylinder pressures created by the 12:1 compression ratio of the motor and then adding boost on top of that. Fathouse has been making around 900rwhp SAE on 10# and E85 pretty easily. This car "SHOULD" in-theory make more than that with less boost.

My car is a 2017 so I do not have the revised Gen 2 block. There would be no point in putting money into this block in terms of putting forged internals/sleeves in it. I'll probably grab a Gen 2 block at some point and begin working towards building that motor up as a new/spare replacement for what I have now.

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Update:

Been waiting on ARH 2" L/T Headers to set this thing off. Got tracking today so hopefully will have this thing sealed up and back together here in the coming weeks.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks for sharing your build. I’m very interested in these parts and seeing the results. I would like to build a 9000 rpm N/A road course voodoo one day out of my 2017 GT350 that I track regularly now. Definitely would be looking at the head porting + FED manifold + cams + valve train as a start. Best of luck with your build, look forward to seeing more posts.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Take a look at what Brabham are claiming about their new supercar.

700bhp

It uses a NA ford V8 at 5.4 L with a flat plane crank, so I’m assuming it’s based loosely on a voodoo

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Take a look at what Brabham are claiming about their new supercar.

700bhp

It uses a NA ford V8 at 5.4 L with a flat-plane crank, so I’m assuming it’s based loosely on a voodoo
I'm reasonably certain the only relation it might have to the Voodoo motor is that it has a flat-plane crank. I doubt it's the same firing order as that seems to be unique to this engine vs. other flat-plane crank motors from other manufacturers.

It probably doesn't hurt that it has an additional 15 cubic inches over what we have in our cars. It doesn't seem like much, but every little bit helps when you're trying to ingest air naturally instead of having it forced in.
Sponsored