Sponsored

GT350R at MSRP is tempting... but is it worth trading in GT350?

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
My GT350 is paid off. I love Avalanche Gray with black roof. I think it is perfect looking and the color is rare. They stopped making those color in 2018. If I could get a GT350R in the same color scheme, I would. However the 2019 GT350 (shadow black with black stripes) selling at MSRP 100 miles away from me is tempting. I canā€™t afford both cars. If I choose to trade in the GT350, it would mean car payments and Iā€™ll terribly miss my GT350. I have never driven a GT350R. I have resonate delete, R springs, R rear sway bar, and camber plates on my GT350 and already put on PPF. Itā€™s still missing the aero package, CF wheels, rear seats delete, Cup 2 and special maganride tuning. One side of me tells me to do it. The other side tells me donā€™t. :headbang:
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
From what Iā€™ve read here, most won't to be able to take advantage of the differences. In other words, unless you race at a certain level, it would be a waste.
Carbon fiber wheels are great on the track but could be an issue on the street.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Hard to say, the 2019 got a ton of improvements, most helped the standard GT350 come within 1/10th of a second of the "R" model. The big update for the "R" came in 2020 with the GT500 steering bits eliminating a lot of the tramlining complaints. Recaro seats are cool if you drive it 200 miles a year, but they kinda suck if you are larger than average or intend to get in and out of the car several times a day. Backseat delete should be an option on all Shelby cars honestly, I'm over 6'2" and no one is ever sitting behind me in this thing.

"R" has slightly more cachet and will probably sell for a few extra thousand for the next 30 years. It won't be collectible until twenty years after you sell it. You will need to buy another set of tires and wheels if you ever want to drive it or risk a $4500 mistake on every outing. The dealer will probably try to buy your for low $30's, if they offered mid-$40's it would be worth considering.

I'm with you on the difficulty of the choice. Having a perfect car in a rare color or an "R" in a common color, tough choice. I enjoy the comfort of my optional seats and 98.9% of the performance of the "R". I'd probably say no, unless I could afford both.

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
I did this upgrade after owning my GT350 for only 5 months. But I got my GT350R for $5K under MSRP. If you are an experienced driver and plan to HPDE your car a lot it may be worth it. Or if you plan to keep your car forever the GT350R will likely have some residual value long term that the GT350 may not have.

Honestly on the street you'll never push either car to its limits. I got so freaked out about the CF wheels getting damaged that I shelved mine and replaced them with Signature wheels and PS4 tires. Guess what tramlining gone not that I thought it was much of a problem anyway.

If you really want to do it work everything out remotely including photos of your car. Negotiate everything before you step foot in the dealership. Thats what I did and my dealer was only 60 miles away.

Johns_350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Sounds like youā€™re pretty happy with the car you have, and having it paid off is a big plus in my book. Iā€™ve thought about doing the same, but at the end of the day, I just canā€™t justify going in the hole 20k+ for a car that Iā€™d have a very difficult time taking full advantage of. I do understand the allure of the R, though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BoomBoy

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to say, the 2019 got a ton of improvements, most helped the standard GT350 come within 1/10th of a second of the "R" model. The big update for the "R" came in 2020 with the GT500 steering bits eliminating a lot of the tramlining complaints. Recaro seats are cool if you drive it 200 miles a year, but they kinda suck if you are larger than average or intend to get in and out of the car several times a day. Backseat delete should be an option on all Shelby cars honestly, I'm over 6'2" and no one is ever sitting behind me in this thing.

"R" has slightly more cachet and will probably sell for a few extra thousand for the next 30 years. It won't be collectible until twenty years after you sell it. You will need to buy another set of tires and wheels if you ever want to drive it or risk a $4500 mistake on every outing. The dealer will probably try to buy your for low $30's, if they offered mid-$40's it would be worth considering.

I'm with you on the difficulty of the choice. Having a perfect car in a rare color or an "R" in a common color, tough choice. I enjoy the comfort of my optional seats and 98.9% of the performance of the "R". I'd probably say no, unless I could afford both.
I already have a second set of wheels for the GT350. If I choose to trade in, I'd put the stock wheels back on and keep the second set for the GT350R. I'd also take out the oil seperators and Antigravity battery to put them on the GT350R. I won't bother with springs, sway bar and camber plates though. Not sure if the 2019 already comes with camber plates installed.

I do occasionally drive my GT350 on a track. I've done it 3 times since the ownership and plan to do it again this year. I'm curious what R feels like on a track.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I think the Andy Pilgrim video covers the "R" and non-"R" on the track. The "R" tires are super sticky and the suspension is incrementally better and it is worth a couple of mph in the corners and 1 to 2 seconds a lap if you are good. The "R" is supposed to come with camber plates installed. The 30 series tires gave the "R" a slightly different gear ratio but it didn't go 2mph faster in a straights. You already have the wheels and tires, oil separators and battery. In the end, it is still an "R". There are never a ton of them made and carbon fiber wheels are exotic these days.

Send the dealer an email with pictures and information on your car, your idea of a trade-in value and see if they are interested. The only way to know is to ask. If they are willing to deal, then maybe a car payment is in your future.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Did you get a trade in price for your car? It may help make the decision one way or the other.

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
The "R" is supposed to come with camber plates installed.
Nope dealer installed accessory they get paid by FP as part of dealer prep. If you do buy the car since they are 100 miles away ask them to install these before you pick it up. Getting it done afterwards will be a real PITA. Search for threads started by me...

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
What is the MSRP on the 2020 R and what do you expect to get for your 2017? I'm guessing you're looking at least at a $30k+ hit after you ppf the R. Only you can say if it's worth it. Believe I was at track attack with you and you drive very well. If you are going to track more might play into decision.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BoomBoy

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What is the MSRP on the 2020 R and what do you expect to get for your 2017? I'm guessing you're looking at least at a $30k+ hit after you ppf the R. Only you can say if it's worth it. Believe I was at track attack with you and you drive very well. If you are going to track more might play into decision.
The MSRP for the 2019 is $72,900. According to the Kelley blue book the trade in I'd get is around $42,000. At least $30k hit sounds about right. How did you know it was me with you at track attack?

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
The MSRP for the 2019 is $72,900. According to the Kelley blue book the trade in I'd get is around $42,000. At least $30k hit sounds about right. How did you know it was me with you at track attack?
I donā€™t know youā€™re market but Iā€™d almost put money down youā€™re not getting $42k for your car. Honestly, youā€™d probably be lucky to sell it for $45k, possibly less because of mods. I would keep your car because I love avalanche grey.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
OP it sounds like you have a great car that you're very happy with, in a colour no longer available. Lots of good advice here about things to consider and different perspectives.

But what is it about the R that tempts you to consider dropping 30+on it ie what are you expecting to get out of ownership such that when you bring it home you'll think it was worth every cent?