Sponsored

New Navigation map update June 29th

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I know my VIN what the heck is ESN??
Yep, go to general settings, scroll down all the way, then click on 'about sync'. Then scroll down all the way again, and at the end you'll see the serial number. It should be 2 letters, 4 numbers, and 2 more letters. Hope this helps.

After an hour, it's finally done. I went out at 44 minutes, and my car was almost finishing the countdown to shut off the ignition, so caught it barely on time. Then it took an additional 15 minutes. I thought it started again from scratch, but it finally showed the finished screen, asking to remove the USB. After letting the car sit for about half an hour (while I had dinner), went out to check the version, and lo and behold, the stupid thing is still showing 1.18. WTF? I guess it's never going to change then, right? That's really weird. But since I'm not the only one, I'm not concerned. Just hope it downloaded correctly, and that it actually improved something. Haven't used nav at all, other than just setting my home address, so won't be able to tell what improved, if anything.

As a final comment, with the F-150, I was asked to send back to Ford a confirmation number spit by the update, but I think that was for the Sync update, not the map one. If one of you get an answer from Ford why Sync didn't update to 1.19 under settings, let us know. Maybe we missed a step or something, no? Thank you all for all the help and guidance. It was fun to do it as a group :D.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
well, forgot my USB yesterday at the house, walked out without it and didnt realize until i was already at work, ready to plug in the USB drive :(

this morning made sure to remember to bring it, inserted into USB port, and in about 5 seconds the headunit recognized the USB drive and started the update. followed the directions and went to disable auto engine shutoff but the directions do not tell you the correct spot to look in the options.

evidently missed the auto shutoff prompt and engine shut off during update.. no big deal i thought, the instructions do mention this and i will just have to restart the install from the begining. so i turn on the car, get all kinds of sync messages, tlling me that the update failed, and that the update succeeded at the same time..

knowing that the update failed, i insert the USB drive again, now the car wont recognize the usb drive at all, even pops up an error saying USB drive not recognized. plug in usb cable from my phone, and plug in phone.. USB port works as android auto starts up. unplug phone and plug back in USB drive and nothing.. car wont see the USB drive now. took USB drive into work and plugged into computer, all map update files still on drive in correct order..

will try again later, i guess..

oh and for anyone wanting to turn off "auto engine shutdown", press the options button on the steering wheel > driver assist > auto engine shutdown (the option is not in the location that the instructions say it is)

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I think that I read if the update is interrupted, to leave the USB in and it would pick up from where it off on the next startup. There have been a couple of people that have said they had problems with the vehicle recognizing the same USB again. If it still doesn't recognize it; I would suggest reformatting the USB again and loading the files back on and giving that a try.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Yep, interesting that the screen still shows 1.18. I'll see if mine does the same when the USB arrives. Of course, mine is now showing 1.17 when supposedly it is actually 1.18.

I have no idea what the updates actually do, other than maybe update streets, speed limits, etc.

Yep, go to general settings, scroll down all the way, then click on 'about sync'. Then scroll down all the way again, and at the end you'll see the serial number. It should be 2 letters, 4 numbers, and 2 more letters. Hope this helps.

After an hour, it's finally done. I went out at 44 minutes, and my car was almost finishing the countdown to shut off the ignition, so caught it barely on time. Then it took an additional 15 minutes. I thought it started again from scratch, but it finally showed the finished screen, asking to remove the USB. After letting the car sit for about half an hour (while I had dinner), went out to check the version, and lo and behold, the stupid thing is still showing 1.18. WTF? I guess it's never going to change then, right? That's really weird. But since I'm not the only one, I'm not concerned. Just hope it downloaded correctly, and that it actually improved something. Haven't used nav at all, other than just setting my home address, so won't be able to tell what improved, if anything.

As a final comment, with the F-150, I was asked to send back to Ford a confirmation number spit by the update, but I think that was for the Sync update, not the map one. If one of you get an answer from Ford why Sync didn't update to 1.19 under settings, let us know. Maybe we missed a step or something, no? Thank you all for all the help and guidance. It was fun to do it as a group :D.

Breee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
I need an oil change so I'm having the dealer look at mine at that time. So over this update nonsense.

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
......went out to check the version, and lo and behold, the stupid thing is still showing 1.18. WTF? I guess it's never going to change then, right?...... If one of you get an answer from Ford why Sync didn't update to 1.19 under settings, let us know. Maybe we missed a step or something, no? Thank you all for all the help and guidance. It was fun to do it as a group :D.
Probably the same issue Sync3.3 has displaying ver1.17 when 1.18 is loaded. you can verify the flies loaded by looking at the IVSU under diagnostic menu.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
Who cares. I haven’t used fords maps once. I’ve used CarPlay and google every day for 2 years.

Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
For me I just don't do any updates.ive had bad experiences withnthings that were working,not working after an update.maybe if sync 3 is updated and I can't use my music usb,id do it,.i just drive my car around town and current nav works fine for me.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I use Waze mostly but since I have Navigation on the car, may as well keep it updated...as long as it doesn't cost more than the $40 :)

Funny how we tend to have some kind of maps going all the time, even when we are in an area that we know well. As long as my phone is plugged into the USB, mine defaults to Waze and hey it does alert me to things along the road.

Who cares. I haven’t used fords maps once. I’ve used CarPlay and google every day for 2 years.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
awesome, so i went back out before lunch to try the update again, car wouldnt recognize USB drive, so i came back inside and took m3incorp's advice and formatted the USB drive, copied the data back to the drive and then try again. this time the car throws error 03, tells me i should redownload the update.. of course, you cant download the files again..

very convenient..

why is something that happens to computers and software on a daily basis (updates) so freaking complicated?

edit: click live chat, only to be told to call an 800# for support, as ford chat doesnt support anything over 2015 mustang

so i call the 800#, and press 1 for download support, then get an automated message that says "as described on the website we dont offer support for downloads" then i have to call back.

call back and press option 2, support for installation and troubleshooting. which gives me an automated message to call ford support at another 800 #...

call back a third time, wait for an operator.. who i describe the problem to, thinking she's either going to tell me to call ford, or tell me they dont offer support for download help.. and she says, no problem sir, i can send you a new link to your email.

so.. we're trying again...

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My car almost shut off the ignition (probably the same thing as if engine was running), but caught it before the blue bar reached the end, turned it off and back on quickly, and fortunately, it didn't abort the process. But rather than 48 minutes like with my F-150, it took an hour, so I was worried it started from scratch, or that it was going to abort it. It updated successfully, supposedly... but it still shows version 1.18, just like before the update. I reported that to Ford, and they're going to supposedly look into why the new version doesn't show up on settings. Maybe others should call too, to make sure they do something about it. My guess is they forgot to program that into whichever file was responsible for that. I haven't used nav yet, so wouldn't be able to tell if my system got updated or not. I only know of one thing: A speed limit on a highway was wrong, but unless I go back there, and it's correct now, couldn't be able to tell. Just hope nothing is wrong when I used the car next time. Ha ha. But everything seems to be working correctly, since maps loaded and everything when I checked the version after closing the car, etc.

I'm just waiting for somebody here to load the Ford $40 USB, and see if it also shows version 1.18, or the correct one (1.19).

Fasteddiec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium convertible
Man that sucks. Give them a call. Many other have had this exact same issue. By the way I'm still being told I already have 1.19. Maybe later.
Same with me, frustrating that the contractor for providing Ford map updates is incompetent.
Sponsored