Sponsored

20,000 miles and no PPF??

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Fair statement about riding today.
I take no pleasure riding in a big cities. Give me twisty mountain roads and I’m happy.
Chances are I’m giving up riding pretty soon. The Mrs has had two knee replacements and neither one of us folds up like we used to. Looks like the bike is going to my son ;-)
I quit riding about a year ago. I have a 35 mile one way commute and was sick of almost being taken out by distracted and careless drivers every day. It was too stressful for me. I miss it :(
Sponsored

Coolhand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Keep this in mind please. I’ve never used PPF on any car and I’ve hung onto cars and trucks for up to 13 years (current work truck). Sure I’ve had chips, dings etc. You know the stuff that just happens.
Although my new GT350 is a special car, I’m going to be driving it, not preserving it.
Do we need PPF if we aren’t tracking the car? Our roads are pretty clean here. My wife’s five year old SUV has hardly any marks on it at all after 45,000miles.
I guess it really depends on where you live or follow to close ;-)
Anybody have 20K on their GT350 without PPF?
I did it on my 2020 after my 2013 GT took a major beating from bugs and small rocks. Front end clip and over strips, doors, side mirrors, and front of rear quarters. Daily driver because it is an awesome car. I like it to look nice and it cleans easy. If I didn’t need it here I would not have spent the money. Took the paranoia out of driving it.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I am so jealous of anyone that gets to drive on that track!

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
20k track miles and no PPF. Looks great.
2019-12-14_EA_COTA_RP_9947.jpg
2019-12-14_EA_COTA_RP_1243.jpg
#1- it's probably because you are never following anyone, but leading the pack!
#2- do you think the Ruby Red Tri-coat paint has anything to do with that? Seems like most of the Ford paint jobs on other colors are very thin with lost of complaints regarding rock chips, etc...
#3- do you have ceramic or anything on the paint to protect it?

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
#1- it's probably because you are never following anyone, but leading the pack!
#2- do you think the Ruby Red Tri-coat paint has anything to do with that? Seems like most of the Ford paint jobs on other colors are very thin with lost of complaints regarding rock chips, etc...
#3- do you have ceramic or anything on the paint to protect it?
Hehe, if only. It's definitely got chips galore. You just can't see them in pics from more than 5-8 feet. I keep the car shiny, so they're not noticeable unless up really close.

Ruby is a HUGE pain. Requires full re-coats (that are super expensive) to fix anything since you can't do chip repair on a tri-coat. It's really a terrible color for a dedicated track car - sure does look good, though. I keep it ceramic coated, but only to make cleaning it easier. Ceramic won't help protected against chips at all.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I am so jealous of anyone that gets to drive on that track!
The more time that goes by, the more I realize how lucky I am to drive on it so frequently. It's not necessarily the most fun (that goes to VIR for me) or my "it" track (Road Atlanta), but it doesn't get tiring and it's always a challenge. After probably a 1000+ laps on it, I'm not bored and don't feel like I am even remotely near the car's limit (not for lack of trying). It really is one of the hardest tracks in the U.S. that's got a relatively good surface. 20 Turns is a crap ton and many don't realize how hard it is to have perfect laps when the lap time is 2:30 give or take in fast street car.

Car runs lows 2:20s now on a good day - hopefully some day I can break 2:10. That's going to take another several thousands laps, less weight, 345 tires, more aero, a sequential, and probably a some nitrous on the straights

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
That's going to take another several thousands laps, less weight, 345 tires, more aero, a sequential, and probably a some nitrous on the straights
Just 6 more mods away for the 'honeybadger 12 Step Program'.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Just 6 more mods away for the 'honeybadger 12 Step Program'.

Oh, I like this. I think the 6 steps is a much easier way to sell it to the wife than focusing on the $$$. :)

I REALLY want to throw a transaxle gearbox in HB. Can you imagine HB with the engine moved back 6in, a transaxle, and about 100 more horsepower. Sweet honey bbq. Oh and side pipes because #racecar

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Oh, I like this. I think the 6 steps is a much easier way to sell it to the wife than focusing on the $$$. :)

I REALLY want to throw a transaxle in HB. Can you imagine HB with the engine moved back 6in, a transaxle, and about 100 horsepower. Sweet honey bbq. Oh and side pipes because #racecar
One more step and you get a Shelby coin. Thanks for sharing.

upload_2020-6-30_19-46-27.png

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hehe, if only. It's definitely got chips galore. You just can't see them in pics from more than 5-8 feet. I keep the car shiny, so they're not noticeable unless up really close.

Ruby is a HUGE pain. Requires full re-coats (that are super expensive) to fix anything since you can't do chip repair on a tri-coat. It's really a terrible color for a dedicated track car - sure does look good, though. I keep it ceramic coated, but only to make cleaning it easier. Ceramic won't help protected against chips at all.
That is just such a great assessment of Ruby Red. My first GT was almost that color. It is spectacular looking, but the Tri-coat does complicate things. I have a mazda cx-5 in a ruby red type tri-coat color. Had a parking lot scrape (park and run) on the right side, looks minor, but quote was for $2200.00.
I really appreciate how much you drive and enjoy your car. I am hoping to have as much fun with mine and not obsess over every scratch or rock chip that might come my way.
I am planning on signing up for a beginners track day at Road America now that things are clearing up. A bit nervous as I have never been on a track before and a bit intimidated by the whole idea.. excited, but intimidated all at the same time.... I can sense this car wants to "run" every time I take it out. Trips to work, around town, and cruising country roads are fun, but it's not all this car was meant for.

QCGoose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (Velocity Blue)
I am planning on signing up for a beginners track day at Road America now that things are clearing up.
Right on! RA is definitely on my list. I've been there for events as a spectator and passenger, but it's definitely a mission of mine to track the car there one of these days. I love that place!

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
That is just such a great assessment of Ruby Red. My first GT was almost that color. It is spectacular looking, but the Tri-coat does complicate things. I have a mazda cx-5 in a ruby red type tri-coat color. Had a parking lot scrape (park and run) on the right side, looks minor, but quote was for $2200.00.
I really appreciate how much you drive and enjoy your car. I am hoping to have as much fun with mine and not obsess over every scratch or rock chip that might come my way.
I am planning on signing up for a beginners track day at Road America now that things are clearing up. A bit nervous as I have never been on a track before and a bit intimidated by the whole idea.. excited, but intimidated all at the same time.... I can sense this car wants to "run" every time I take it out. Trips to work, around town, and cruising country roads are fun, but it's not all this car was meant for.
The second half of this post I thought I wrote.
I’ve got a few friends that race. Some currently, some in the recent past. I’m trying to get them together and have some fun with this amazing GT350. The great part is, the three of them are master mechanics. Me, not even close.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It's such a forgiving car and yet not "numb" at the same time. My wife and I took it for a drive out by Manitowoc along Lake Winnebago and Lake Michigan... It can be a loud, roudy, nasty car at times, and then on the way back when the sun was setting we put it in 6th on cruise control...turned on some music.. it was such a quiet and smooth ride.. thought I was in a caddy.. LOL...
At this point I just want to have fun on the track, stay within myself and let the car do the work..
I'm 1 hour away from RA and 2-3 hours from Chicago Autobahn... and Black Hawk Farms. It's quite a luxury to have these facilities this close.. .Makes up for all of the snow and cold during the winter... well... maybe a little... LOL

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The lower front fenders and lower leading edge of the rear quarters were in pretty rough shape on my '15 GT in short order. At 36k miles, that area was really rough. With the front guards, I wouldnt worry about the front but the rear will take a beating still.
Sponsored