Rented a Camaro

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Looking on the bright side, the rod will never wear out, will never break, will never cause the hood to bend and will always hold the hood open safely and securely. Whereas most hood struts are only good for a few years, some of them don't work well in the cold, some will cause the hood to flex, and some are even known to fail while they're open, dropping the hood onto the unfortunate owner's head. I've yet to hear about a good old rod failing to hold the bonnet open, while hood strut failure isn't something unheard of.
Sponsored

Last edited:

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
As a small example, why allow a driver to select the transmission mode they want but have it revert back to a default at every restart. That is just inane.
The likely explanation for this is firstly, EPA mileage ratings will be consistent if the modes start in normal all of the time. The next thing that comes to mind, is that if your teenager or wife or MIL gets in the car to drive it or just move it, and you left it in track mode, it is potentially unsafe if that new driver isn't expecting the souped up throttle response. "I was just letting Uncle Ira out and the car just jumped and took off!"

Reactions: R5L
OP
OP
ORRadtech

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
The likely explanation for this is firstly, EPA mileage ratings will be consistent if the modes start in normal all of the time. The next thing that comes to mind, is that if your teenager or wife or MIL gets in the car to drive it or just move it, and you left it in track mode, it is potentially unsafe if that new driver isn't expecting the souped up throttle response. "I was just letting Uncle Ira out and the car just jumped and took off!"
Possibly. But how do you explain other manufacturers letting the car start in the last mode driven?

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
Never understood why Mustang still has prop rod.
Weight savings, more than $ savings. View "A Faster Horse" (about the 2015 re-design, and it's a great story about the Mustang and how it is loved around the world) and you'll see how much they obsessed about keeping the weight down. Also explains why the seat back adjust is still manual even on the GT Premium.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
To the OP
For Mustamg there is a fix module for convertibles, offering option for opening/closing the top while driving as well as remembering last mode of driving
You mean like was mentioned in post #10 and responded to by the OP in post #11 :D

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Believe it or not mine came while I was away. It's sitting on the workbench waiting for me to install it.
Hood struts are on the way too.

It's just a bit aggravating to have to purchase things for my Premium Ford that come on a base Camaro.
FYI, I left a USB cable in easy reach, but honestly, doing it through the top button plus the stereo/AC UI is so easy and convenient, it's not needed.

It doesn't bother me, there's always __something__. It's not even a matter of price, premium vs. base, it's those little design elements that fall through the cracks, or get blocked by legal, or engineering gets nervous.

gpierce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
On my 20 GT, if I set up my mode to what I want and leave it there the car changes to those settings automatically after I start it.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Good perspective and info here.

Last summer, my wife and I rented a '19 Camaro SS convertible. I loved it almost as much as she did! All of complaints about the interior, etc are right on but that motor made me forget all about it.

Don't get me wrong, I went out and bought a Mustang GT after that experience but the Camaro and that awesome LT-1 definitely won me over.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I don't even understand buying a non v8 "muscle car". So many better cars for the money

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
No sorry, it's just Ford going cheap. Just like they only paint the upper grille on GT. Most people I know who own a Mustang installed hood struts right away and have no problem, then even fix a good amount of the hood shaking problem at high speeds.
Huh? My upper/lower are the same. I also had my car well north of 160 mph and never noticed the hood shaking. I also prefer the prop rod to struts haha.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
People like the things they like. My wife prefers the Camaro over the Mustang, I prefer the Mustang. Choice is a good thing. Competition is a good thing as it keeps the cars moving forward and makes manufacturers innovate, rather than stagnate. It's good that the Challenger and Camaro exist to challenge the Mustang.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
People like the things they like. My wife prefers the Camaro over the Mustang, I prefer the Mustang. Choice is a good thing. Competition is a good thing as it keeps the cars moving forward and makes manufacturers innovate, rather than stagnate. It's good that the Challenger and Camaro exist to challenge the Mustang.
Overall Americans really seem to hate the Camaro since it's always dead last in sales.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Huh? My upper/lower are the same. I also had my car well north of 160 mph and never noticed the hood shaking. I also prefer the prop rod to struts haha.
You have a 17 GT, where all grilles are matte plastic. On 18+ GT they decided to painted the upper grille gloss black. On the Bullitt they painted the lower grille too which looked much better. On Mach 1 they are back to only paint upper grille.
Some cars don't have it as much as other, but I can garantuee you that here in germany hood shaking at high speeds were a pretty big discussion, even though it is just a visual thing.

R5L

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I don't even understand buying a non v8 "muscle car". So many better cars for the money
Eh, this topic has been discussed millions of times and it all comes down to people like what they like. I got my ‘16 eco premium mostly because the s550 body style is one of the best looking cars I’ve ever seen and allowed me to add tons of exterior mods just like I did as a kid playing midnight club and need for speed. My eco was my first car purchase and is a hell of a lot faster than my high school car, 2005 accord . I debated selling and getting into a GT, but it’s paid off, looks aggressive af and i love it. All that gt power and sound is great for sure, but I got a pretty hefty ticket and lawyer fee in my eco lol all that power is tough to use on the street without the DL points adding up. Plus that low end eco torque in sport+ mode is plenty of fun.
Sponsored