This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Sure it is the Mach 1 is replacing the GT350 in the Mustang lineup for 2021.

Just like the 2021 Mustang GT is replacing the 2020 GT
That's not quite right. It may be replacing an empty slot on the model org chart but it is not actually replacing the car itself. Specialty models come and go. They do not replace each other. The GT350 had a 5 year run, the Bullitt a 2 year run. Now that's done. For 2021 we get a Mach 1. For 2022/23, Maybe a Boss302. We can only hope.
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
The Mach 1 makes sense for markets that didn't get the GT350 e.g. the UK.

If Ford are not brining the Mach 1 to those markets then Ford may as well kept the GT350 going.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Hope not, as Millenials are the future!

Smaller wheel sizes are always going to give a better ride.

What track testing have you done to detemine this?

That's why Ford need to appeal to a younger audience as othwerwise we'll all end up with the boring/annoying A10.
My 18 has larger wheels than the Bullitt: 265/35-20. I have driven all three cars over the same roads at similar temps. I have also done extensive modifications to the suspension on the '15 A6 I had. I, for one, like the A10.

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
Sure it is the Mach 1 is replacing the GT350 in the Mustang lineup for 2021.

Just like the 2021 Mustang GT is replacing the 2020 GT
It’s not even close to the same thing. A GT replacing a GT is just an updated version of the same car and should get better with newer models.

The GT350 is a specialty car, and one that carry’s the Shelby name. The Mach 1 is a completely different car and not a Shelby. If anything it’s a beefed up GT. It replaces an empty slot in the mustang lineup overall, but it is not a direct replacement to the gt350 and will be cheaper so as originally said if the Mach 1 was close to or better than a 350 it would piss off a lot of gt350 owners...And it should

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Smaller wheel sizes are always going to give a better ride.
My 18 has larger wheels than the Bullitt: 265/35-20. I have driven all three cars over the same roads at similar temps
It's not really the wheel size, it's the tire profile - wheel size indirectly affects that since it's not uncommon to use a higher profile tire, on a smaller diameter wheel. The Bullet uses the PP size, so it's:

255/40R19 front / 275/40R19 rear, that's a 102mm front sidewall and a 110mm rear, vs. the 265/35 which is a ~92mm rear, so the latter actually has less sidewall (which would normally mean a slightly reduced ride quality ...)

However, it's also the suspension, the Bullit has the Perf Pack, stiffer springs, shocks, bigger swaybars vs. @GreenS550s 18 if it's not a non-PP car.

Side note: PP + Magneride is glorious, more comfy, especially over bad roads than a base car, higher performance as needed :)

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My eyes were opened when I drove the '18 Premium, 20" wheels vs my Bullitt with MagneRide. The '18 simply had a better ride. Especially on Michigan's bumpy roads.
You're the first I hear saying that. During my extensive research, the consensus was that a PP1/MR car had basically the same ride as a base (let alone with 20" wheels). Maybe a hair more firm, but more compliant. I never drove a base, but the ride of my Bullitt was spot on as described. But in sport, there's probably no comparison at all, with all the performance goodies. Yeah, it's no track car, but has the best compromise of both to me. A little firm in normal, but very capable in sport. My wife finds it a bit on the stiff side, but fortunately, it's within her limits, at least so far :). Haven't gone on a long trip on it yet; that will be the test.

When I test drove a Bullitt press car, I felt almost like I was driving my SRX. Too tall for my taste and too much lateral movement. When I test drove a GT350 press car the next week it felt a lot closer to my seating position in my Camaro. Low and snugged in.
It's the same exact car inside man. Unless one had the regular seats and the other the Recaros... but BOTH can be had with either option. A neighbor has a GT350 with the regular seats (just like my Bullitt), and both are identical inside, with the only difference that his car has perforatead 'Alcantara' in the middle, rather than perforated leather, like mine (which I much prefer). But yes, I wish it was a bit lower (I have the seat all the way down), but I was expecting it to be higher, so I wasn't disappointed at the driving position at all.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Just giving my feedback on ride quality. I am fairly anal and pay close attention to how the car drives, handles, etc on same vs same. Since the overall height of the tires are basically the same, larger wheels translates into smaller sidewall. My '15 had the 20" foundry wheels with 265/35-20 as well. The ride of that car was significantly harsher than the '18 with the same sizing.
The Michelins on the PP1 Bullitt are a very quiet tire, for sure. However the ride in "normal" with MagneRide is firmer as your wife stated.

I bought a set of the 5 spoke 235/50-18 stock tires in pirelli for the winter and they did NOT handle well at all. Even the ride seemed noiser and bumpier. But, then again, I have the Falken 510 on the '18 and they are a tire that could compete with the Michelin 4s for sure. A bit louder, though.

No matter, I will likely buy the Mach 1. It is just too cool to pass up. :)

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
You're the first I hear saying that. During my extensive research, the consensus was that a PP1/MR car had basically the same ride as a base (let alone with 20" wheels). Maybe a hair more firm, but more compliant. I never drove a base, but the ride of my Bullitt was spot on as described. But in sport, there's probably no comparison at all, with all the performance goodies. Yeah, it's no track car, but has the best compromise of both to me. A little firm in normal, but very capable in sport. My wife finds it a bit on the stiff side, but fortunately, it's within her limits, at least so far :). Haven't gone on a long trip on it yet; that will be the test.

It's the same exact car inside man. Unless one had the regular seats and the other the Recaros... but BOTH can be had with either option. A neighbor has a GT350 with the regular seats (just like my Bullitt), and both are identical inside, with the only difference that his car has perforatead 'Alcantara' in the middle, rather than perforated leather, like mine (which I much prefer). But yes, I wish it was a bit lower (I have the seat all the way down), but I was expecting it to be higher, so I wasn't disappointed at the driving position at all.
Seats were different, but I also think the suspension setup and the tire differences make a big difference in stance and, by derivation, actual seating position between the two.

Sponsored

FlatRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N0404
If it has been discussed or posted earlier I apologize, but do we know if the Mach 1 (and all 2021 Mustangs for that matter) will include Sync 4 or not? New F-150 reveal got me thinking about this.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
If it has been discussed or posted earlier I apologize, but do we know if the Mach 1 (and all 2021 Mustangs for that matter) will include Sync 4 or not? New F-150 reveal got me thinking about this.
No, nothing confirmed yet. Personally, I'd be disappointed if the '21MY Mustang doesn't have it. I assume we'll know once the order guides arrive, but that could be another 3 or 4 months away, what with the '21MY not starting until January.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
well, haven't seen confirmation, but the Mach E, F-150, Bronco, and baby Bronco will all have it it seems, so I would think it would make it into the mustang as well.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
Mach1= Part bin GT PP1/PP2. In auto it makes absolutely no sense. It’s basically a sticker package with trans and rear diff cooler. 2 parts worth less than $1k. It’s only and It’s debatable, worth it in manual with the Tremec trans and the handling package. The 10R80 trans is the exact same car. Lastly pretty sure the new bumper minus the grille and rear diffuser and fake exhaust tips will be the exact bumper on the 2021 GT Same as the bullit has the same bumper with a different grille and rear diffuser. This Mustang is the least impressive car ford has released.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The auto has had updates:

"10-speed SelectShift™ automatic transmission with an upgraded torque converter and unique calibration that enables optimizing torque capability, shift character and overall enhanced performance"

And the exhaust tips are not fake.

And we don't know if that bumper will be shared with the rest of the '21MY range. I have my doubts on that one.
Sponsored