04lss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 6mt
Hi all.

My mustang has developed a troubling issue. In first when starting from a stop letting off on the clutch slowly (to do a smooth start) causes the car to shudder. Its especially bad if you give the engine light throttle. Using no throttle still does it but to a lesser extent. Revving the engine to 2k also reduces it significantly.

Ford replaced my clutch recently (unrelated), it seemed to be lightly doing it before that. I am running a lund e85 tune, but it does this on 93, and on the stock tune.

WIth the clutch and slave cylinder having been replaced I am not sure what it could be. Has anyone had this issue before?
Sponsored

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Yup, sounds like hard spots on the flywheel. When they replaced the clutch did they resurface or replace the flywheel? Same goes for the pressure plate. If they just replaced the friction disc and nothing else, that is the issue.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
These oem clutches suck a$$. 19s were suppose to be better being twin disc.

What gear ratio do you have?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm just getting used to my new Bullitt, but could swear I've felt a slight shudder a couple of times, when pulling the car into the garage the last couple of feet, without touching the gas pedal (the ECU raises idle a little, which is enough for that). When taking off normally, no shudder at all. So I know it's not a bad clutch plate, but what could it be? Instances like this is when I question how hard were the 66 miles my car had before I took it for a test drive. Hope it's 'normal', meaning many other cars do that too. But even if it's not, I'm not going to worry unless it gets worse, but what worries me is manufactureres typically give you a super hard time to cover anything clutch related, so the sooner it is, the better chances you have to get it covered under warranty. My car has only 300+ miles, so haven't driven it hard myself at all. Thx.

Sponsored

OP
OP

04lss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 6mt
Yup, sounds like hard spots on the flywheel. When they replaced the clutch did they resurface or replace the flywheel? Same goes for the pressure plate. If they just replaced the friction disc and nothing else, that is the issue.
They replaced the Flywheel and clutch assembly. (the flywheel was ruined) along with the slave cylinder, or so i am told.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Mine only does it very slightly, and just when not touching the throttle (with the minimum amount the ECU applies it when releasing the clutch). So not going to worry about it, since it feels perfectly normal on regular take-offs. Also read the same complaint several times already, so yet another 'normal' trait, I guess. Ha ha. At least that one doesn't bother me that much. The 'thud' when engaging 1st gear (which does NOT happen every time, but often enough) is more annoying, but also not to the point of bothering me, fortunately. Having said that, I'd like to get rid of the 1-2 notchiness and 2-3 'nibble', which I think it's doable with different fluid. And/or with break-in, since many owners have reported it gone eventually, usually below 10K miles. We'll see. Not super annoying either, so that 3rd set of tranny traits I can live with.

Having said that, the more worrysome traits are the engine ones. The 2K rattle is very annoying, but I can mask it in sport exhaust mode and the radio. The other even worse is the stupid tick, which my engine doesn't have yet. But if it gets it, I definitely won't be a happy camper. Excessive oil consumption would bother me a lot too, but at least at 800+ miles, it looks like I dodged that 'bullitt' :D. Even though our cars shouldn't have so many issues, since many date back to 2011, is a bit frustrating, But it's a fantastic drivetrain nonetheless, so I'm being more forgiving than my usual anal self with it. Ha ha. And enjoying it a lot so far. Hope it stays that way :).

dh3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 301a, Auto, Black, Black accent package
Picked up a new, 150 miles, GT yesterday and I also am getting the same shudder. Makes me think some of the test drive miles were either done by someone who doesn’t know how to drive a manual or it was abused.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
What are your exact circumstances? On my car, I can't feel any shudder at all when driving, and I almost always launch very mildly, with maybe 1,500 rpm at best. And zero issues. If you try to launch at those low rpm with more aggressive throttle, then it'd be normal for the clutch to complain IMO.

Having said that, my car also had more miles than I wanted, especially for a manual (66). But if we think about it, it'd be almost impossible to screw up the clutch in so little miles unless somebody really wanted to destroy it. Finally, I think the 'shuddering' in my case is due to the engine pulses with so low rpm (no throttle), and not the clutch itself. I only feel it on the clutch pedal, but the car is not shuddering. Curious to read what is your situation.

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
Mine shudders a bit after driving 5-10min, but not before or after that. I assumed it was just a temperature thing. It hasn't seemed to cause any problems.

Sponsored

dh3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 301a, Auto, Black, Black accent package
Normal leaving from a dead start, mine is not too bad. When easing in or out of my garage ,parking space or other creep situations, the whole care shakes. I have also noticed that while downshifting at low speed, low throttle, it also does it. Also having issues with sync/ car play so going to drive it a while to see if there are any other issues before taking it to a dealer.

Cplennon17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Mine did that until my slave cylinder went and they found I had a warped flywheel. They blamed me at first, it was 6AM and I lost my clutch pedal shifting into 2nd (going 15 mph) pulling into a dunkin donuts. Grabbed the video and showed them, they shut up lol. Replaced all under warranty at about 3500 miles. They stated it was improperly torqued from factory.......

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
It's either the slave cylinder, the flywheel, the crank rear flange, or crap between the flange and the flywheel.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Also having issues with sync/car play
For that, first a master reset, then an APIM reset should fix it. Better than taking it to a dealer :D. If neither of those things do, then you might have to. Good luck.

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
I’ve had this a few times. Might be the fly wheel needs a skim. Might be a bit of moisture on cold/wet mornings. Also, if it’s been warped due to a poor or hard launch.
Sponsored