Sponsored

How common is rodent wire damage?

austexstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Race Red and 1965 Coupe 289
Common enough that American Honda has a unique part and part number for special tape to prevent rodent damage.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
One thing at least it was easy to find, can be fixed by owner. And I'd consider parking the car in a different spot. Away from dense underbrush or general garbage/trash.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've heard dryer sheets can be effective at deterring them. They don't like strong scents. I hate them though. Whether or not you'll deal with this seems to depend on where you live. Mouse populations generally revolve around farmland/fields and in the off seasons make their way out to the suburbs.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Push them away:
Peppermint spearmint essential oils
Moth balls in a thin sock
Homemade pepper spray

kill the problem around your house. Get a rodent box but place it away from your vehicle. Cats help.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
The way that rodent and ate your mass airflow wires is pure asshole lol.

Abby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Dryer sheets help, but spraying a bit of diluted peppermint oil around the engine bay works better, and in my opinion smells better than those dryer sheets. Mice chewed up a quarter of the under hood insulation on my Fusion to make their nest in the air filter box.

Crayon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Ecoboost "Maggie"
Dryer sheets help, but spraying a bit of diluted peppermint oil around the engine bay works better, and in my opinion smells better than those dryer sheets. Mice chewed up a quarter of the under hood insulation on my Fusion to make their nest in the air filter box.
Sadly, the peppermint oil and drier sheets didn't help. The HOA for my apartment complex finally put out traps and spray around the complex and it solved the problem (and those neighbors who left trash out got evicted).

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
for a TL/DR skip to the last paragraph.

had this problem once.. i could see new signs of activity and damage on a daily basis. it was only a matter of time before something major was going to happen.

ended up finding nestled underneath the engine cover, between 2 coil packs, in a crevice of the engine block a fairly new nest made of dried pompous grass blades and some white "cotton" like fibers. pompous grass is common and one of the community dumpsters was close by. i figured the rodents scavenged a thrown out pillow or something. but its location kind of concerned me. a hot long car ride and that stuff might go up in flames, next thing i know i got an engine fire, not safe at all. long story short, the cotton fibers were from the in-cabin air filter, the little bastards made their way all the way to the interior and were attempting to chew through the cabin filter in the glove box then carrying it all the way back to the engine bay to build their nest

i tried peppermint, mothballs, hot peppers, ropes to look like snakes, real looking fake snakes, cats, human urine, dog urine, cat urine, fox urine (granules), human hair, dog hair, cat hair, conventional baited mouse traps poison traps (doesnt let mouse leave once they enter), glue traps, water bucket traps, high pitch signal/sound devices, and probably some other things i forgot to mention... nothing really worked.

whatever "scent" you use on your car/engine/whatever to deter the rodent. i hope you like the smell of it because you're the only one thats really going to smell it. it had no affect what so ever on the rodents in my case

predator urine/hair worked for maybe a few days to a week, until they figured out that it was all a bluff.. then back to operations as normal.

some traps work better than others, any trap you bait with food, you're just feeding the mice, and thats encouraging them to stay, not leave. i found the more lethal the trap, the better it worked of course.. until i realized there was an endless supply of rodents, and not an endless supply of my patience.

the high pitch sound generators.. probably snake oil, too many skeptic reviews and sketchy sales ads for me to buy into it

whatever lethal trapping means you use, you'll have to empty daily, that will get old quick. not to mention if this is a public place like an apartment complex you get to deal with neighbors who may or may not object to your extermination services. i was dealing with this outside, in a parking lot. so its not like you'll just get rid of 1 or 2 mice and be done with it. as soon as you remove those 1 or 2, then 1 or 2 more will move right in. if this was an enclosed garage or storage building then you'd want to secure the entry point(s) first then erase their scent (see below)

if you do decide to use poison as means of eradication, please be considerate on the type poison trap. make sure it is a trap and not just bait, if its just bait. it kills the rodent after they have eaten it and left the area. they could climb back into your engine bay (or better yet, your blower motor, or some a/c duct thats harder to access) and die, then you really got a mess trying to get that out from wherever he decided to crawl into and die, rot, and smell. if it doesnt make it back to your vehicle consider other predators could possibly eat the poisoned rodent, thus you poison some wild life, or even your neighbors beloved pet fluffy, or pet rover.

the only way i actually got rid of them, once and for all.. was to stop parking where i was parking and just pick another spot. not like the next spot over either, but i had to move like 30 yards away. but the key thing i believe is you MUST wash the rodent urine/rodent scent out of the engine compartment/off the vehicle. find out every spot they have been and wash away their scent with a brush/rag and some soap/degreaser if they smell the trail back 'home', all your effort is for naught, and the new parking space you picked out is compromised. the way these rodents work is they are constantly pissing all over everything, this is part of the way they navigate. so it is imperative that you remove the scent and then remove the vehicle.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Interesting dissertation. Ha ha. Guess it's much harder to control in an open space indeed. The electronic devices are supposed to be effective in a garage; at least the good ones. Fortunately, I don't have a rodent problem.

And to answer directly to the thread subject, rodent wire damage is definitely more prevalent than before since the switch to soy-based insulation. No question about that. The only question is how much more, which is hard to answer. And depends where you live. The bottom line is those suckers are smarter and more persistent than we think. Ha ha.
Sponsored