Sponsored

All this time and still no one offers fuel rails for the whipple?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Seriously? Seems like an awful waste to go 8 AN feed all the way and choke it down to 6 AN (yes I know 2 6 AN's flow more than a single 8 AN).

I've found flow data that suggests for a particular pressure (unmentioned) an 8 AN of an unspecified length will flow approximately 1.77x the "Q" or flow for a 6AN line. (if you're an engineer, calm down, I don't have all the hydraulic information like material type, etc).

While the ratio would change given inputs (like pressure and pipe material and fluid type and length of piping) it serves it's purposes as a general concept of just how much flow restriction changes with diameter of tube/pipe (just as a general concept for some of you guys, if you double the diameter size of a water line you end up with 8 times the amount of flow in gpm at typical domestic water pressures).

Anyway, from what I've read Whipple claims that they're 6 AN rails will support up to 1300 hp easily, but it misses the point. At what fuel pressure and load from the pump? I suppose you could run 2000 hp off a coffee straw if you jammed enough pressure behind the pump end of the feed.

It just seems silly to plumb 8 AN feeds all the way to the rails only to choke them down to 6AN. And unless the vast majority of people are getting duped into spending extra money, there has to be some reason (i.e. market feedback) that 8 AN rails are useful or necessary for everyone else.

Does no one offer a rail that will work with the whipple without burning off mounting tabs and rewelding them?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Seriously? Seems like an awful waste to go 8 AN feed all the way and choke it down to 6 AN (yes I know 2 6 AN's flow more than a single 8 AN).

I've found flow data that suggests for a particular pressure (unmentioned) an 8 AN of an unspecified length will flow approximately 1.77x the "Q" or flow for a 6AN line. (if you're an engineer, calm down, I don't have all the hydraulic information like material type, etc).

While the ratio would change given inputs (like pressure and pipe material and fluid type and length of piping) it serves it's purposes as a general concept of just how much flow restriction changes with diameter of tube/pipe (just as a general concept for some of you guys, if you double the diameter size of a water line you end up with 8 times the amount of flow in gpm at typical domestic water pressures).

Anyway, from what I've read Whipple claims that they're 6 AN rails will support up to 1300 hp easily, but it misses the point. At what fuel pressure and load from the pump? I suppose you could run 2000 hp off a coffee straw if you jammed enough pressure behind the pump end of the feed.

It just seems silly to plumb 8 AN feeds all the way to the rails only to choke them down to 6AN. And unless the vast majority of people are getting duped into spending extra money, there has to be some reason (i.e. market feedback) that 8 AN rails are useful or necessary for everyone else.

Does no one offer a rail that will work with the whipple without burning off mounting tabs and rewelding them?

I just installed my Whipple and I noticed that there are 2 -6 AN orb fittings on each rail, one at each end. I found that out because I was missing the blank off plugs that were supposed to be installed in those locations. To achieve what you are thinking about, couldn't you just add two more supply lines? I was just thinking out loud here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I just installed my Whipple and I noticed that there are 2 -6 AN orb fittings on each rail, one at each end. I found that out because I was missing the blank off plugs that were supposed to be installed in those locations. To achieve what you are thinking about, couldn't you just add two more supply lines? I was just thinking out loud here.
The Whipple kits are 6 AN. Most aftermarket rails are 8 AN for "high flow." There's very little advantage to running a bigger high flowing fuel system if you're just going to choke it down to 6 AN rails. The whipple cars make plenty, and it's not a matter of HP or engine productivity, it's how much the fuel system has to labor in order to maintain appropriate pressure at the rails going through a smaller fitting.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'm going to run the rails in parallel with a return. I'd have to buy 4 ORB fittings no matter what rails I run.

It's just curious that Whipple says "we've made xxxx" and not to worry about it, and everyone else says don't worry about it, but everyone is selling and buying 8 AN fuel rails.

The system will be fine and honestly support way more than I'll need.

It's kinda like installing a 3" water line into your home but then choking it down to a 1" line for distribution. Bringing it in via a larger line does help to reduce fluid friction losses up to that point, but it's marginal once you have to reduce it down to a smaller diameter line.

Fuelab's testing suggests they lose approximately 1 psi of pressure on 14' of 6 AN vs. 14' of 8 AN, so it's not a huge deal. The pumps just have to work a tiny bit harder as all.

It just begs the question if 8 AN "high flow" fuel rails are really necessary or are they a gimmick if the answer is "6 AN rails are more than enough to support XXXX horsepower."

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Whipple does offer -8an fuel rails for the 11-17 G5 3.0L cars. They actually come standard on all of their Cobra Jet kits. They retail at $300.00

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
@LethalPerformance How much is it to upgrade an existing Gen-5 (15-17) to the CJ lid and stuff? I haven't seen the upgrade kit, just the full setup.

I haven't even gotten my Gen5 delivered yet, I'm just curious. At what Boost level is the CJ upgrade really worth it? Which would be the better Baby step, the CJ lid or a Trunk mounted tank?

Sorry to be an askhole.

Sponsored

Logan@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 3.0L Whipple
@LethalPerformance How much is it to upgrade an existing Gen-5 (15-17) to the CJ lid and stuff? I haven't seen the upgrade kit, just the full setup.

I haven't even gotten my Gen5 delivered yet, I'm just curious. At what Boost level is the CJ upgrade really worth it? Which would be the better Baby step, the CJ lid or a Trunk mounted tank?

Sorry to be an askhole.
The CJ is overkill for most people.

Our '18 has the standard lid with a PNR tank and runs 8.6x ice cold (pun intended).

The oversized HE helps a lot.

I would say go CJ if you intend to port the blower and go max effort. We can run through pricing, if you'd like, but keep in mind you lose the lines as well so you'll need to replace them (I can assist with that).

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150

Sorry to be an askhole.
Here's the CJ lid upgrade kit. Give @Logan@Lethal a shout if you need some pricing. He'll take great care of you.
https://www.lethalperformance.com/w...t-2011-2020-mustang-gt-with-g5-3-0l-only.html

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Thanks for the link and the info.
Sponsored