Sponsored

Tyres.

Garvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Mustang GT
it won't be his fronts that's the issue it'll be his rears. mps4s's even cold are very nippy on the fronts..
Of course. However, I have the impression that he wants to maximise grip and traction and the process is the same for front and rear. If he wants to just spunk money on some unscientific empirical experiment with different tyres until he finds the best rubber compromise then that is up to him and his deep pockets.

The wider rear tyres will not heat up as quickly or hold heat as well as the narrower tyre. Therefore, in normal driving even for substantial distances they will probably be at a lower temperature than is optimum. When then giving it the beans they will not initially respond as well and grip and traction will be sub optimal and may take some time to get to optimum temperature (if at all). It may be that lowering the tyre pressures on the wider tyres by a few psi may well result in better tyre temperatures and more optimal grip.

If one drives ā€˜like the windā€™ at all times then it might not be a problem but, personally, I find that is not possible on the roads today. In general, I want max grip and traction when cornering and exiting corners having driven at ā€˜normalā€™ speeds on the straighter bits. In which case the optimal grip and traction will just not be there when you want it.

Competition and ā€˜cupā€™ type tyres and semi slicks are really for the track only.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
If looks have anything to do with it, 888rā€™s are just damn hot ... :inlove:

Joking aside, I was reading a thread on here and they seem to be very well thought of by some of the big power boys :like:

WD :like:
Yep, imo the Toyos/Nittos convey an impression of "intent". :crackup:

After having Audii with silly rubber band tyres. I do like the look & feel of a bit of sidewall on a tyre.

I'm still at the research stage, so not decided on which tyre to try next.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
if it helps at all i run my rear at 28psi not 30something

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
What suspension mods do you have?

Sponsored

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
@BlackandBlue
Thanks for the info. Noted.
:thumbsup:

Not much. The car has magneride & the base Steeda IRS kit.

Suspension upgrades will help, magnaride is good but i am unfarmilir with setups that work will with that. You wont eliminate wheelspin on a RWD car, the best you can hope for is to achieve predictable and controllable slip. You just have to be careful with regards to putting the power down. The best advice i can give is to make sure you put the power down when all 4 wheels are pointing in the same direction.

I would always caution it because there are many elements out of your control. i.e. drain covers, oil/diesel spils etc. The key will always be tyre temp and pressure but 305s NA should be more than enough.

I remember having 285s when the car was N/A and my current setup, it was really nice. Boosted is another ball game.

The mods i have are Steeda Ultralite Linear springs, Steeda IRS Alignment kit, Steeda Differential Bushings and BMR CB762 IRS subframe bracing. I need to upgrade vertical links and add adjustable toe links. I have the steeda billet shock mounts to do at the same time.

You could also play with the amount of camber you are running on your rears, i remember i straightened mine up a touch. (kwik fit 2 years, 8 alignment plan works awesome for that if you have a place that know what they are doing)

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Have you come from an Audi or something? The Mustang has 400 odd bhp in RWD so the back will break whatever tyres you have fitted if you give it enough gas

StuStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS
Yeah, I could only find the MPSS when I needed rear tyres.

Ah! I didn't know about the Toyo/Nitto link. The company I got my wheels from suggested Nittos (can't recall which model) but as I hadn't heard of Nitto at that time, I declined.
Watching some YT videos of U.K. modfied/higher powered cars, I see some folk have fitted Toyo R888Rs?? I was wondering if any Mustang owners had experience of either the Toyos or the Cup 2s.

I think at this stage I may go Cup 2, once things in the U.K. move back closer to something "normal".
Unless you track your mustang a lot I wouldn't get the cup 2's, when I had my mk3 focus rs a few others 'upgraded' to the cup 2's and they said that on the road they had less grip than the standard fit MPSS's as they only get grippier when they're hot like on a track day. From that I wouldn't recommend them for the road.

Sponsored

Garvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red Mustang GT
I think the tyre test of the PS4 v PS4S v Cup 2 illustrates the points being made in some posts here, although you have to ā€˜read between the linesā€™ to fully appreciate the results.

The tyres are being tested on a track not under highway conditions so are being well mullered and at temperatures unlikely to be see seen on normal roads witnessed by the PS4 tyre being driven to submission due to overheat in some 4 laps.

The differences on the track are not as pronounced as they would be on normal roads because of this but given a heavy use for, say, 6 laps it is clear the PS4 would probably be starting to disintegrate, the PS4S struggling but the Cup 2 still OK.

At lower tyre temperatures on normal roads then the differences will be more marked. The PS4S will outperform the PS4 due to the outer tyre composition of the 4S being much better in cornering and traction out of corners. The Cup 2 will not be at optimum temperature for its compound and will underperform both the PS4 and PS4S - just look at the Cup 2 unruly rear behaviour in the test when they donā€™t even get up to temperature on a track, let alone a normal road.

The wet weather behaviour is as expected and no surprise.

Beware drawing conclusions of tyre tests performed flat out on tracks!

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
With great power comes great responsibility, this also applies to Mustangs. No matter your tyre, weather conditions or driving style you have to respect your car. It's like petting a lion, it's all fun and games until it rips your face off.
Sponsored