Sponsored

Whipple car runs bad - tune issues

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I have a 2017 Mustang Gt Auto with a stage 2 kit with the Whipple Tune and my car drives just like factory stock. I have been to the track and went 10.80ET 132MPH with pump gas with a little Boostane.My only contact with Whipple is to ask a question on how to retrieve my Ford Stocks Tune if I ever want to download a Lund After Market Tune and they called me back the following day after leaving a message and explained to me how to do it.They were great and patient with me.
Sent PM to Whipple Supercharger
Sponsored

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Whipple is one of the best vendors I have ever dealt with and my 2017 mustang gt with the Whipple Stage 2 Kit and the Whipple Tune is 100% perfect.I have been told that a after market tune would pick up a few extra HP but I want my mustang to drive like factory stock.My wife has even driven my car to work a few times on dry days here in Oregon.LOL
So, you didn't actually have a problem. But, would you still be as happy if you paid $6,000-$7,000 for your kit, it had a drivability issue like some of us are encountering, and Whipple was unable/unwilling to help you? Would you complain then? Would you complain if you bought your kit for the features listed on their website, and ended up needing to pay another grand for a 3rd party tune, giving up the functionality of the Flight Control that you paid for when you went with Whipple? It's like you're saying we don't have anything to complain about because your car is fine. This thread is about people who did NOT get their actual problem taken care of, and it started almost 3 years ago!

Last edited:

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had the same problem after a motor replacement and all it needed was the 2 connectors in the back of the whipple to
be swapped...this could be the issue for anyone who has just installed a whipple or had it take it off temporary for some reason.
All hoses and wires are installed per instructions provided with kit.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
All hoses and wires are installed per instructions provided with kit.
I would not be happy either and all I was posting is my experience with Whipple.
Mr. Tiller with Whipple spent about 30 minutes with me on the phone to explain to me and help me retrieve my stock factory tune
Did a after market tune fix your car or you still having problems with the Whipple Tune.

Last edited:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Invo, if you are ever in Austin, pull the car in the garage here. Ill aim to have a known good throttle assembly, O2 sensors, MAF sensors from a known good setup all ready to swap in to your setup. can do smoke test as well for intake/vac leaks, check for leaks in rubber diagrams on vac sys like brake booster or evap etc.
There has got to be something in your current setup confusing the ECU. The code can only work based off the signals provided, so there is going to be ā€˜somethingā€™ causing an issue.
If the tune was bunk, every user would be screwed: more than likely its variability in OEM sensors not intended to provide necessary resolution for metering signals at twice as much hp over spec.

Sponsored

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Invo, if you are ever in Austin, pull the car in the garage here. Ill aim to have a known good throttle assembly, O2 sensors, MAF sensors from a known good setup all ready to swap in to your setup. can do smoke test as well for intake/vac leaks, check for leaks in rubber diagrams on vac sys like brake booster or evap etc.
There has got to be something in your current setup confusing the ECU. The code can only work based off the signals provided, so there is going to be ā€˜somethingā€™ causing an issue.
If the tune was bunk, every user would be screwed: more than likely its variability in OEM sensors not intended to provide necessary resolution for metering signals at twice as much hp over spec.
That's very kind of you! Maybe one of the major supercharger companies could hire you to do their customer service.

Unfortunately, I'm in Maine, so I can't take you up on your generous offer.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with my car that is out of Ford specifications. It ran perfectly before I installed the supercharger, and was even still under factory warranty. It's a one-owner car with no other mods. I have not received any information that proves to me there are any factory defects, sensors not working correctly, etc.

I've been in contact with others who have posted their issues on this thread and another thread, and they stated that once they installed a Palm Beach tune, the car ran fine. In my opinion, that would indicate a software issue, not a hardware issue.

Wishing I read this thread before I forked over the money instead of finding it after I had a problem.

Thanks again for the info.

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Because I commented on this thread a few times, and because things got a little heated, I just wanted to update my portion of the conversation.

After many pages of conversation with Whipple, over the past few months, we have come to a resolution.

Although this has been quite frustrating for both of us, I will commend Whipple for sticking with this for as long as I pursued an ending. I am sure many hours of their time was spent trying to correctly tune my kit, and certainly a few hours reading and responding to my questions, concerns, and complaints.

Though I won't get into details, we were able to compromise on a solution that, at this point, seems like the most realistic path.

-Tommy

Last edited:

2017s550white

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Hey, hate to bring this log back from the dead but Iā€™m encountering this same issue with My whipple gen 5 stage 2 with built clutches in my auto 6r80. My car hesitates around 6th gear partially throttle around 2-3k rpm like OP. What was the issue and how did you solve it???