Sponsored

Mobility kit vs. Spare tire

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Nope. The rear tire has the overwhelming odds of getting flat, not the front. And a rear wheel/tire literally takes most of the trunk's space. I decided it's just not worth (to me) having a spare on this car. I'd only use it on a trip (if ever)... and a rear wouldn't fit. I don't consider myself a lucky person (not by a long shot. Ha ha). But even then, I don't buy extended warranties, and have never needed one. Have never needed to replace a tire in my life. The only flat I remember having was 12 years ago, on my then new BMW M3 V8, and just patched it with my Stop'nGo kit, and made it home 300+ miles away, at 80 mph. So will take the (very small) chance on this car too. If I could fit any tire in that space, I'd get it. It was the same thing with the BMW, the Porsche, etc. A spare would leave me with no cargo space for trips... which is what I use my cars for (I work from home). Therefore, making the car useless. Rather use it, and call for help if it comes to that :D. But as I mentioned, will get a jack kit, to at least be able to remove the wheel if needed.
Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Nope. The rear tire has the overwhelming odds of getting flat, not the front. And a rear wheel/tire literally takes most of the trunk's space. I decided it's just not worth (to me) having a spare on this car. I'd only use it on a trip (if ever)... and a rear wouldn't fit. I don't consider myself a lucky person (not by a long shot. Ha ha). But even then, I don't buy extended warranties, and have never needed one. Have never needed to replace a tire in my life. The only flat I remember having was 12 years ago, on my then new BMW M3 V8, and just patched it with my Stop'nGo kit, and made it home 300+ miles away, at 80 mph. So will take the (very small) chance on this car too. If I could fit any tire in that space, I'd get it. It was the same thing with the BMW, the Porsche, etc. A spare would leave me with no cargo space for trips... which is what I use my cars for (I work from home). Therefore, making the car useless. Rather use it, and call for help if it comes to that :D. But as I mentioned, will get a jack kit, to at least be able to remove the wheel if needed.
I think there's no way you'll be able to unscrew properly torqued wheel lugs with the jack kit from AA. I could use it to unscrew the lug nuts after I got the car from the dealer, but that was only because the lug nuts were woefully under tightened. When tightening them, if I use more than two fingers on the handle, it looks the AA handle will bend and break/separate (the parts are joined together with a not very strong screw, and the metal itself seems very soft and thin). On the other hand, I have to use full force to torque the nuts to the specified 204nm using a much bigger and stronger torque wrench. I would have ordered the AA tire without the jack had I known, as now I had to order something else to screw and unscrew the 21mm lug nuts anyway.

Now I carry both a spare tire (the one from AA) and the goofiller (as well as a smaller air pump I had from before, rather than the bigger one that came with the Mustang). I'm thinking if the trunk and car is so full that I can't fit a flat rear/front in the car for even long enough to get to the next hotel/city with a car repair shop, I'll use the goo too fill the punctured tire, rather than swapping it for a spare.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The AA jack kit was never reviewed well, so I never thought of getting that one. Will get the Ford one, but will have to go back and look for part numbers. As far as a lug nut wrench, I'll probably throw the Gorilla telescopic one I have (or get another). I torque my lug nuts to 120 ft/lbs, but it's still tight enough that you still need a good size wrench. My ex-F150 had one as long as the Gorilla fully extended, and since both cars call for 150 ft/lbs, it should be the same. Otherwise I'd just use a Gorilla one.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
The AA jack kit was never reviewed well, so I never thought of getting that one. Will get the Ford one, but will have to go back and look for part numbers. As far as a lug nut wrench, I'll probably throw the Gorilla telescopic one I have (or get another). I torque my lug nuts to 120 ft/lbs, but it's still tight enough that you still need a good size wrench. My ex-F150 had one as long as the Gorilla fully extended, and since both cars call for 150 ft/lbs, it should be the same. Otherwise I'd just use a Gorilla one.
See post #114 for part numbers.

Hockeyfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt Magneride, electronics, pac, Steeda Jack rails, Weather Teck Floor liners, SunTek PPF full front
I bought a spare tire kit. The tire on rim, jack, lug nut wrench. Was expensive , 500 bucks but the rim fits fine over the brembo brakes. The rim is black like the stock tires. Automotive Authority has them.

Sponsored

Turbo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt DHG; Electronics, MR, Recaros, Cover, 2017 Explorer Sport Ingot Silver, 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
My AA spare fit easily into the pit, I didn't need to use the little extension. The panel covered it perfectly. I have roadside assistance coverage but being towed to a probably closed FORD dealer while away from home on a trip just is not a good solution for me.

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
i think the simpler solution to this problem is to do the following if you have a brembo mustang or upgraded the front brakes to the brembos. the standard spare wont fit over the brakes. however, if you get a flat FRONT tire do the following:swap the rear tire with the spare (which will fit on the rear) and replace the flat front wheel/tire with the rear wheel/tire you just replaced with the spare. a little more work, but its free.

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
i think the simpler solution to this problem is to do the following if you have a brembo mustang or upgraded the front brakes to the brembos. the standard spare wont fit over the brakes. however, if you get a flat FRONT tire do the following:swap the rear tire with the spare (which will fit on the rear) and replace the flat front wheel/tire with the rear wheel/tire you just replaced with the spare. a little more work, but its free.
The spare ain't free

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
... and replace the flat front wheel/tire with the rear wheel/tire you just replaced with the spare.
I believe (note: believe, not know) you still would need something like a 5mm spacer to get the rear tire to clear the front brakes. And, you're now changing 2 tires at night / in the rain / on the side of the interstate.

a little more work, but its free.
It's not "a little more", it's effectively double (you'll do everything twice except for getting stuff out of the trunk / putting it away)

Sponsored

ionpig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019, MagnaRide, Recaro's etc...2016 Land Rover Discovery 4 Landmark Edition, 2012 Mini Cooper
This is the Ford OEM. It doesn't fit with the Brembo brakes. As far as I know, the only that fits with the Brembo's is the Automotive Authority...
I know this is an old post but you can get round the Brembo issue by having a wheel spacer of more than 20mm.....much cheaper than the alternatives. I use a kit from Road Hero, which look identical to the Ford option. Dunno if they serve US too

BULLITT Bill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT, 2008 Mustang V-6, 2003 Chevy Silverado SS, 1997 Lincoln Town Car, 1972 Pontiac GTO, 1967 GTO
Was debating about where to get the jack and other hardware, when I remembered the 42,000 Ford Pass Reward Points that I earned when I bought my new 2019 BULLITT last February. It took several calls to the dealer and Ford to find out how the points worked. Most people use the reward points in the service department. With the plan formula 42,000 points converts to a cash value of $210 towards parts through your Ford Dealer (can't be redeemed online). The parts guy has to have the service dept. open a ticket against your car in order to pay for the parts. I was able to get the trade price and got the jack parts at no cost to me. These are the 4 items needed. Jack: HR3Z-17080-A ; Wrench: FR3Z-17032-A ; Retainer: ES7Z-17091-A ; Storage Compartment Retainer: ES7Z-1424-A. Retail for this group is around $220.

2019 BULLITT Jack 1.jpg

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
Was debating about where to get the jack and other hardware, when I remembered the 42,000 Ford Pass Reward Points that I earned when I bought my new 2019 BULLITT last February. It took several calls to the dealer and Ford to find out how the points worked. Most people use the reward points in the service department. With the plan formula 42,000 points converts to a cash value of $210 towards parts through your Ford Dealer (can't be redeemed online). The parts guy has to have the service dept. open a ticket against your car in order to pay for the parts. I was able to get the trade price and got the jack parts at no cost to me. These are the 4 items needed. Jack: HR3Z-17080-A ; Wrench: FR3Z-17032-A ; Retainer: ES7Z-17091-A ; Storage Compartment Retainer: ES7Z-1424-A. Retail for this group is around $220.

2019 BULLITT Jack 1.jpg
Great info. I already had a jack and just bought the Ford lug wrench. Good to know for future purchases though.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"My AA spare fit easily into the pit. The panel covered it perfectly. I have roadside assistance coverage, but being towed to a probably closed FORD dealer while away from home on a trip just is not a good solution for me."
Ditto on the above, but took it just a bit further. Ford (or aftermarket) makes a nice little storage area compartment organizer (below). The partitions fold back & the left three (3) compartments will neatly contain a Harbor Freight aluminum jack. Wrap it nicely to minimize movement while driving. The jack handle splits in two (2) & fits in the same area as the jack. The organizer slides forward & fits perfectly between the rear wheel housings. What's left will easily accept two (2) suit cases + a suit bag or two (2) across the top.

1611005064548.png

A couple of quick notes ... 1) Get one of those nice little jack pads (below) & 2) Pack a couple of large heavy duty trash bags to put your busted wheel/tire in cuz they will have to go into the rear seat area. Both of these items can be packed in w/the jack. Fortunately I had everything in place when my LR tire became a DOA @ 6,000 miles. :curse:

Oh, yeah ... one more thing. I borrow the battery impact from the race car so that I can go all Wood Brothers getting the tire off/on. :whew:

1611005548846.png
Sponsored

Last edited: