This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The reason why they didn't give it more - it would embarrass GT350 owners. That's what this is. They could've done any of the things mentioned above but they didn't.
Now why they would piss off Mustang owners by making a Mach-E Mustang - that I do not understand.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The reason why they didn't give it more - it would embarrass GT350 owners. That's what this is. They could've done any of the things mentioned above but they didn't.
Now why they would piss off Mustang owners by making a Mach-E Mustang - that I do not understand.
I highly doubt that anyone with a Voodoo is going to be embarrassed by someone with a Coyote regardless of the advertised HP number.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yeah, GT350 is its own thing altogether...

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I highly doubt that anyone with a Voodoo is going to be embarrassed by someone with a Coyote regardless of the advertised HP number.
Absolutely they would and not just because of the hp number. They're discontinuing the 350. With the handling package of the Mach1 - with similar power and with the borrowed parts from 350 and 500, it basically would be a GT350 with a different badge. Ford is not going to encroach on a special model such as the 350 by making a superior Mach1.

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
That’s why they should of made it handle “worse” than what they did. Take your regular GT suspension and tweak it geared more towards drag racing, add more power and it won’t interfere with the sales of gt350’s. Make a straight line car with 500hp.

You want to go straight? Get a Mach 1.

You want to go around a racetrack? Get a gt350.

Although to be fair, i should point out this is for 2021 so the gt350 will no longer be available new.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I really look forward to taking this car for a few laps at Circuit of the Americas.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
That’s why they should of made it handle “worse” than what they did. Take your regular GT suspension and tweak it geared more towards drag racing, add more power and it won’t interfere with the sales of gt350’s. Make a straight line car with 500hp.

You want to go straight? Get a Mach 1.

You want to go around a racetrack? Get a gt350.

Although to be fair, i should point out this is for 2021 so the gt350 will no longer be available new.
Totally agree. From the configuration, it feels like they are making it handle too close to the 350 capability, which is why they didn't do anymore power upgrades. It would've become too obvious.

Also, to me the Mach1 was always a muscle-ey street car not a track/dual purpose track and street car. They should have focused more on straight line with a big power bump from the normal GTs. Add in extra styling and there you go.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
The only thing I really don't like on the Mach 1 is that they still going for that really bad space above the wheel and not so great spacing. I mean come on, you don't go crazy with that on a car from the factory, but still customers will most likely buy different springs and spacers here to make it look as performance oriented as Ford says this car is. And this will mess with the setup Ford wants to offer.
21my-mach-1-tt-3-jpg.jpg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
they still going for that really bad space above the wheel and not so great spacing.
crash and pedestrian regs probably. You gotta make sure you still can plow effectively thru standing crowds afterall. The height was probably set with 20" rims in mind and then someone realized lots of people would rather have 19. The factory doesn't look so bad really. Why slammed == performance is a "thing" I don't know. The contour of the wheel OD should match the fender contour. When you lower the car 1" or more that clearly doesn't hold anymore and sure mine has been lowered some, but I'm not impressed by the look nor do I think it looks any more "racy" than it did beforehand.

There are millions of people who have utter rubbish in taste and design choices. Just go to a cars/coffee. My eyes bleed not infrequently.

And anyway if you don't like the factory look it's downright cheap to bastardize it anyway you like till you're happy.

It's a "handling" focused car in broad strokes because Ford already has a GT that handles like ass as delivered (ok, I'm overblowing it a tad) and they need something that will approximate the dead and gone Shelby. The GT500 handles despite all the wrong design choices on that front but it's also ~80 grand and not available in reasonable quantity. There is a market segment for a Mustang that can actually handle without having to cut Steeda/BMR a $4000 cheque. That's why the HPP+Handling for the Ecoboost. This is the answer for the 5.0 strata.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
crash and pedestrian regs probably. You gotta make sure you still can plow effectively thru standing crowds afterall. The height was probably set with 20" rims in mind and then someone realized lots of people would rather have 19. The factory doesn't look so bad really. Why slammed == performance is a "thing" I don't know. The contour of the wheel OD should match the fender contour. When you lower the car 1" or more that clearly doesn't hold anymore and sure mine has been lowered some, but I'm not impressed by the look nor do I think it looks any more "racy" than it did beforehand.

There are millions of people who have utter rubbish in taste and design choices. Just go to a cars/coffee. My eyes bleed not infrequently.

And anyway if you don't like the factory look it's downright cheap to bastardize it anyway you like till you're happy.
Assuming the same series tire, 19" weigh less than 20" and going to 20" would effectively reduce the final drive ratio making the car slower (on both accounts).

They do not care so much about looks as they do performance. This is after all a car that performs, not just one that looks like it does and in the end doesn't

Sponsored

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
Totally agree. From the configuration, it feels like they are making it handle too close to the 350 capability, which is why they didn't do anymore power upgrades. It would've become too obvious.

Also, to me the Mach1 was always a muscle-ey street car not a track/dual purpose track and street car. They should have focused more on straight line with a big power bump from the normal GTs. Add in extra styling and there you go.
Exactly.

In my mind, with the gt350 being available for the past 5? Years and the pp1/2 being options for the gt. The boss coming back for s650. This was a perfect chance to make more of a drag car.

500-520hp, staggered wheels and 305/315 tires in the back, maybe a different rear end and stronger axles. The Tremec would still be a great option and maybe a tuned A10 version. All the visuals you want to add for the Mach 1 exclusively and even a “base” model of it with less weight.

But of course people would still complain.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely they would and not just because of the hp number. They're discontinuing the 350. With the handling package of the Mach1 - with similar power and with the borrowed parts from 350 and 500, it basically would be a GT350 with a different badge. Ford is not going to encroach on a special model such as the 350 by making a superior Mach1.
Do you know any GT350 owners? If you did you would know they do not give a shit about any GT, regardless of trim. And one word about the Mach 1 being a rebadged GT350....."Brakes".

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Exactly.

In my mind, with the gt350 being available for the past 5? Years and the pp1/2 being options for the gt. The boss coming back for s650. This was a perfect chance to make more of a drag car.

500-520hp, staggered wheels and 305/315 tires in the back, maybe a different rear end and stronger axles. The Tremec would still be a great option and maybe a tuned A10 version. All the visuals you want to add for the Mach 1 exclusively and even a “base” model of it with less weight.

But of course people would still complain.
Of course, but why do you not consider the Mach 1 a car suited for the strip? Don't you think the 480HP with the A10 (which by the way is tuned) is going to be nasty? Tires, wheels, gears, & axles, that's for the aftermarket. You're not going to get those from Ford.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Do you know any GT350 owners? If you did you would know they do not give a shit about any GT, regardless of trim. And one word about the Mach 1 being a rebadged GT350....."Brakes".
Ohh really... OK. I guess you speak for all Shelby owners. You do know the GT350 is still a Mustang right? What I can tell you is if I had purchased a GT350 and then Ford discontinued it, and then subsequently releases a new model under an old name (which has much less provenance/history than a Shelby 350 does) and makes it just as good, I would get pretty annoyed. And as for your comment on the brakes - yeah they're better on the GT350 but that level of braking is not needed by 95%+ of owners. The PP brembo brakes are plenty enough for most drivers.

Case in point, you don't upset your loyal customers. And Ford is on the edge of doing that. They've already done it by making an electric SUV and calling it a Mustang. I can see you and I aren't going to agree so I'll leave it at this and move on.

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
Of course, but why do you not consider the Mach 1 a car suited for the strip? Don't you think the 480HP with the A10 (which by the way is tuned) is going to be nasty? Tires, wheels, gears, & axles, that's for the aftermarket. You're not going to get those from Ford.
I wouldn’t say i don’t consider it a car for the strip, it’s absolutely a great platform. But as ford said it’s the most track capable 5.0? I forget the phrase they used. Which it is absolutely that, they made it a track car with the full purpose of going around turns. That doesn’t mean it can’t go fast in a straight line.

I just feel they had multiple variations/levels of track oriented cars In recent past to make one that is more dedicated towards the strip this time. Especially using the Mach 1 name. Instead of taking parts off the gt350 for cornering, take parts off the cobra jet for straight line.
Sponsored