Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks for the responses, Kevin.
Since you run so much hot-track time have you also thought about bridging the heads coolant as well? Like this MMR kit?
455478XR_001.jpg
I did install that this offseason. Haven't seen enough data on whether or not it works, but we'll see. Plan to run some tests later this year when it gets really hot

20200128_224341.jpg

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
Watching your most recent video I didnt see any read subframe bracing? What are you doing for rear subframe flex control?
Curious about this one too. My thought is it being related to running solid bushings, but I could be totally missing the mark.

Edit:
If you're willing to get down and dirty, I'd recommend doing bushings vs. the braces. I've been very happy with Full Tilt Boogie Racing's spherical bearings and solid bushings in my IRS. Ultra stable, communicative, and over-engineered. Perfect.
Copied from this thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Watching your most recent video I didnt see any read subframe bracing? What are you doing for rear subframe flex control?
As @5.2 liters of democracy said above, I run the solid bushings and spherical bearings in the IRS...no need for bracing with those. Tons of communication and no flex that I can detect.

Curious about this one too. My thought is it being related to running solid bushings, but I could be totally missing the mark.

Edit:

Copied from this thread.
Correct. No need for bracing with with the solid bushings and spherical bearings. Remove all the rubber and you'll have plenty of rigidity in the rear.

Mikefd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2004 mystichrome cobra, 20 twister orange350R
This thread is friggin awesome

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
We need an update @honeybadger :)
No much to update! Car has been parked in the garage since March given everything! Honestly, it's been nice to step back for a bit to relax and focus on everything I've been ignoring for 3 years :)

Recently, we picked up this little guy and he's been a handful!

20200628_115206.jpg

I miss this car.....
Me too, brother. Me too! Likely won't be back out before end of year (or Fall optimistically) given all that's going on. Looking forward to it once the dust settles, tho!

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350, 57-tbird, 61 Galaxie, 2014 Wrangler unlimited rubicon, and a 1999 F150
ok so... have you done anything to mitigate wheel hop in the rear end ? i'm wondering if just the eibach springs did it or springs and bars... or if you have a cradle lock out or what i should do.

Most threads i read are on whipple cars trying to hook better at the strip... i want this to be a track car so guide me ohh wise one... or let me know which page you address it.

post #94... found it...

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Any plans to do GT4 series racing?

https://www.gt4-america.com/

Not I'll ever go W2W with this car. My plans for it wont really fit in any class and I'm a bit too attached to it get all banged up. More likely unlimited class in time attack. Would love to build a vintage racer and do that for W2W stuff. But who knows what the future will hold!

ok so... have you done anything to mitigate wheel hop in the rear end ? i'm wondering if just the eibach springs did it or springs and bars... or if you have a cradle lock out or what i should do.

Most threads i read are on whipple cars trying to hook better at the strip... i want this to be a track car so guide me ohh wise one... or let me know which page you address it.

post #94... found it...
Are you experiencing wheel hop on road courses? I haven't experienced any so far

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350, 57-tbird, 61 Galaxie, 2014 Wrangler unlimited rubicon, and a 1999 F150
Not I'll ever go W2W with this car. My plans for it wont really fit in any class and I'm a bit too attached to it get all banged up. More likely unlimited class in time attack. Would love to build a vintage racer and do that for W2W stuff. But who knows what the future will hold!

Are you experiencing wheel hop on road courses? I haven't experienced any so far
Re-phrase... I want to solve the wheel hop i get messing around without adversely affecting handling on the road course. I'm just dipping my toes into the deep end of the pool but.. towards the end of a set of tires.... i don't drive with traction control on very often just to get a better feel for what the chassis wants to do when it loses grip... and in my case it's chatter the rear wheels.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Re-phrase... I want to solve the wheel hop i get messing around without adversely affecting handling on the road course. I'm just dipping my toes into the deep end of the pool but.. towards the end of a set of tires.... i don't drive with traction control on very often just to get a better feel for what the chassis wants to do when it loses grip... and in my case it's chatter the rear wheels.
Ahh, okay. In that case, I would drop some solid bushings into the rear end (specifically the IRS cradle mounts). Some folks have had good luck with the BMR lockout kit that bolts in, but that's a bandaid fix IMHO. I went with full tilt boogie parts and am very happy. Don't need the diff lockouts, just the cradle. Swapping in some spherical bearings into the control arms is a good idea as well. Same stuff I did in post 94.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Ahh, okay. In that case, I would drop some solid bushings into the rear end (specifically the IRS cradle mounts). Some folks have had good luck with the BMR lockout kit that bolts in, but that's a bandaid fix IMHO. I went with full tilt boogie parts and am very happy. Don't need the diff lockouts, just the cradle. Swapping in some spherical bearings into the control arms is a good idea as well. Same stuff I did in post 94.
This fully won't be addressed tho until the below is applied, right? However, it's really not a necessity unless it really bothers the driver.
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-ultimate-irs-stop-the-hop-package-2015-all-555-2129.html