Brake dust on Rims

kalittle97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Could anyone tell me what this is? I believe it’s brake dust. Any tips to get rid of it and prevent future residue?
6494AC36-0696-4F80-8E47-D0A5F720B830.jpeg
71FF1325-83F6-4F71-AB9B-956FFCB4FABB.jpeg
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Same reply from Cosmetic Forum:

Looks like rust coming out from the center hub and getting flung around the wheel. Pull the cap out if you can and clean it out with WD40. If you can't pop the cap without damaging it, you'll have to take off the wheel. Once it's clean, hit it with WD40 again or a light coating of grease.

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
It to me looks like rust from the rotor. They seem to rust really fast and the brakes clear the rust off the face of it. But I’ve still never had that before. You doing some hard braking? lol.

OP
OP

kalittle97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
It to me looks like rust from the rotor. They seem to rust really fast and the brakes clear the rust off the face of it. But I’ve still never had that before. You doing some hard braking? lol.
No at least not what I would consider just spirited driving at best and the wheels were only installed a month ago

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
They seem to rust really fast and the brakes clear the rust off the face of it.
Seems to me those CS center caps aren't too waterproof, or it's getting in from behind somehow. Clean it and use anti seize all over the area. it's 100% waterproof.

Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
When the subject of Shelby center-cap removal came up in the Team Shelby forums, my research revealed that removal of the wheels would not be necessary if one obtained the correct tool. In that case, a lever-action suction cup from Lowe's worked well. It was a plastic hanger hook that applied vacuum when installed and manipulated correctly. Easy-peasy, and inexpensive. (This item is no longer sold on Lowes.com, but available in other stores, I bet.)

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Had same thing happen to me with my wheels. Check it, I use an automated car wash and it has high pressure sprayers for the wheels.

Water was blasting passed the center cap rings, and sitting causing rust. When it drove it would fling out like you have

I pulled each wheel off one day, and I got some rubber gasket crap. I ran a bit of it on the inside running it sealing the inside.

I caked it on, no issue. I had to swap wheel with one. I used razor and popped one cap out easy and re sealed.

Anyway, after I sealed w some rubber sealant or whatever. And let cure few days before wash. Never had the issue again

Why I had wheels off too, I used a little bit of smooth sand paper and removed some of the surface rust why I was down there with some cleaning products, it came right off

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
To get it all of the wheels if it doesnt wash off, use a hand pad and some 3m light cutting compound. Used it on my darkstars and they look just like new. Also, I use the turtle wax ice seal n shine on my wheels. Its amazing for them, zero brake dust and keeps em looking great!

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
To get it all of the wheels if it doesnt wash off, use a hand pad and some 3m light cutting compound. Used it on my darkstars and they look just like new. Also, I use the turtle wax ice seal n shine on my wheels. Its amazing for them, zero brake dust and keeps em looking great!
talk to me about the TW Ice and Shine. So you’ll wash nicely and dry and then apply it like a wax / glaze and buff off?

you notice that the brake dust (I have Brembos) comes off much easier now?
Sponsored