Brake Light Switch (near pedal) Failure

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Ya, for some reason turning off traction control didn't work for me. My traction control was "off", with the message on the dash saying traction control off. It is possible that holding it down for 5 seconds to turn off "AdvanceTrac" may fix the power loss and power cutting out. Holding it for 5 seconds will turn off AdvanceTrac and could work (Its also possible Ford has released some type of software update for this). If anyone else gets this problem this is worth trying.
All you have to do is hold down the button for 5 seconds to turn off AdvanceTrac. It's the same exact step you are supposed to take when you datalog for an aftermarket tune. If you just push it once, it won't work. You have to hold the button down for 5 seconds. I had the same exact issue with my car, and this worked.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yep, just clicking it turns off traction control. Holding it for 5 seconds turns off stability control. Normally you don't want to do that, but in this case, you just want to get home.

Hey guys, just went under my car to check those stupid stop (I have 3), and found something weird: My manual car has an extra rubber pad (the 3rd) on top of the clutch, where the cruise cut-off switch is... BUT THERE'S NO SWITCH. WTF? Just tried my cruise, and it works. Didn't try pressing the clutch while active, but assume in the absence of a switch, the ECU must cut the engine off, or the car wouldn't pass regulations, no? I'm curious now. Ha ha. Anyway, since I have a spare stop, I removed it to take it to Advanced Auto and compare it to the one posted. They didn't have any. My yellowish stop is kind of half rubber and half plastic, since it's stiff, but can be bent a little. The little nub is more flexible. There must be a lot of heat or ozone up there, for that thing to dry out and crack in 5 years. So will probably order 3 of them, but if you have a manual car, you might have a spare stop on top of the clutch pedal, like my car does. Just a heads up :).

My other question is how do you remove the brake switch, to be able to replace that pad? It seems to rotate somehow, and has 2 weird looking tabs, but couldn't figure out how to remove it. I'd appreciate a detailed explanation. Thank you.

Last edited:

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yes, though one concern with this is that magnets, especially strong magnets, can interfere with electrical signals. While most cars have magnets in different locations such as a solenoid, placing a strong magnet near unshielded electrical wires may not have a positive or good effect. A simple example of this is sticking a magnet close to an old CRT monitor or TV, which would distort the image. Strong magnets can also, for example, impact pacemakers and other implanted medical devices. While the risk is very small, I took the harder route and bought the better-than-OEM AA brake pad stop. The part from Advanced Auto is a perfect fit, and I'm sure it will work perfect for years to come (10+ since its made for Toyota :))

The most serious concern is impact on medical devices:
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/safety.asp#:~:text=Neodymium magnets are not toys.&text=Small magnets can pose a,emergency surgery if correctly diagnosed.
I had the same thought about the magnets but decided that if it destroyed the sensor I could take care of it then haha Kuddos to you for doing it the right way. If the magnet destroys my sensor at a later date I'll be sure to update on here. I've had the magnet for a little over a month now.

FBO5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yep, just clicking it turns off traction control. Holding it for 5 seconds turns off stability control. Normally you don't want to do that, but in this case, you just want to get home.

Hey guys, just went under my car to check those stupid stop (I have 3), and found something weird: My manual car has an extra rubber pad (the 3rd) on top of the clutch, where the cruise cut-off switch is... BUT THERE'S NO SWITCH. WTF? Just tried my cruise, and it works. Didn't try pressing the clutch while active, but assume in the absence of a switch, the ECU must cut the engine off, or the car wouldn't pass regulations, no? I'm curious now. Ha ha. Anyway, since I have a spare stop, I removed it to take it to Advanced Auto and compare it to the one posted. They didn't have any. My yellowish stop is kind of half rubber and half plastic, since it's stiff, but can be bent a little. The little nub is more flexible. There must be a lot of heat or ozone up there, for that thing to dry out and crack in 5 years. So will probably order 3 of them, but if you have a manual car, you might have a spare stop on top of the clutch pedal, like my car does. Just a heads up :).

My other question is how do you remove the brake switch, to be able to replace that pad? It seems to rotate somehow, and has 2 weird looking tabs, but couldn't figure out how to remove it. I'd appreciate a detailed explanation. Thank you.
I may be misinterpreting what your last question is about. Just to be clear, you are asking about the brake switch that has the button that the little nub piece rests against when the brake is not in use? If so, you don't have to remove that sensor. You install the nub piece on the pedal. It's easier to do with the car running in neutral because the brakes won't build up pressure when you push the pedal down to install the piece. I never did try to install that piece, it seemed like a headache and needed up going the magnet route. Good luck

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
you are asking about the brake switch that has the button that the little nub piece rests against when the brake is not in use?
Yep :D. Should be super easy to swap the pads without that switch in the way. And it looks like it's super easy to remove, possibly just twisting it one way or the other. But looks flimsy as well, so no way I'd attempt to remove it without knowing EXACTLY how to do it :).

And did you guys check to see if you also have that extra 3rd pad at the very top of the clutch, where a switch used to go? I want to make sure that switch should be missing from my Bullitt. Also surprised that the rubbery yellow pad hardens like a rock and breaks in just 5 years. Hopefully that won't happen to the Advanced Auto pad. I was going to proactively replace those pads, but maybe now is not the time, if it's going to happen to any other pad. Ha ha. Might wait for 3 years or so. Or do black pads have a longer life???

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Yep :D. Should be super easy to swap the pads without that switch in the way. And it looks like it's super easy to remove, possibly just twisting it one way or the other. But looks flimsy as well, so no way I'd attempt to remove it without knowing EXACTLY how to do it :).
Haven't tried it myself, but maybe you could use some duct tape or something else to hold the switch inward so it gives room in front of the pad area for pad removal and installation. If the switch can be depressed some, along with a pedal depress, it might help give more and enough room for a swap out of the pad.

Last edited:

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I just had this issue today. My car sat in the driveway today while my wife was spray painting in the garage. When I pulled it back in, the brake lights wouldn't turn off. I found this thread and the Advance Auto part # and took her car to get one. No deal. Nobody had it in stock. I ended up ordering the part from Amazon and did the zip tie trick as a temp fix until the part comes in.

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
That had to be just about the easiest fix I've ever done on a car! It took all of 5 minutes to snip off the temp zip tie and snap in the new part. It took longer getting prepped to do it.

5.0lizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium. Guard Metallic
Well the pad on my 2015 broke and I replaced it with the exact Advanced Auto part that everyone listed. Popped the new pad in and.... nope not thick enough. Push the plunger a little more by hand and the brake lights turn off. Guess I'll try the magnets?

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Well the pad on my 2015 broke and I replaced it with the exact Advanced Auto part that everyone listed. Popped the new pad in and.... nope not thick enough. Push the plunger a little more by hand and the brake lights turn off. Guess I'll try the magnets?
The part from Amazon worked perfectly for me.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Popped the new pad in and.... nope not thick enough.
I'd check it against the 'spare pad' you have on the clutch, where the cruise switch used to go. Pop it out, and compare it to the Autozone part. If thinner, I'd buy the Toyota pads, which are just a hair thicker, and those should never go bad. I bought 4 for my Bullitt, to avoid ever having that issue. Installed 3 (including the 'spare' one I just mentioned), and left another spare in my garage. Those Autozone ones might not be of the same quality. The Toyota ones fitted perfectly. They're harder to engage, since they have the locking 'tabs' all around, rather than just a little front and back, like the stock ones. But once in, they're never going to go anywhere. Hope this helps.

5.0lizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
The Toyota pad is pretty much identical to the Advanced Auto pad. It's a quality piece and looks made for the spot. It seems to have worked on everyone else's car, so why not mine? I don't have a clutch so can't cross check. The tie wrap worked.... so did a simple screw and washer. Actually the screw and washer seemed thinner than the advanced auto part! Frustrating.....

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Oh. You know, if I remember correctly, the switch plunger can be screwed in or out. Remove it, and give it a try. Don't remember if it was the clutch one, or the brake one, but easy enough to find out. And even if it doesn't adjust, you can glue a little pad at the end of the plunger, and it should work. And one last option might be that you didn't install it correctly. Or it's not installed correctly, so remove it, to find out. You need to turn it about 1/4 of a turn but CLOCKWISE, to remove it, so a little counter-intuitive :D. Good luck.

5.0lizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
Got it working today... just super glued a round piece of plastic on top of the Advanced Auto pad and it was enough to satisfy the problem. I didn't try to screw out the plunger... maybe that would've worked? Good to go for now tho

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Are the 18+ Mustangs brake bumper pads like the 15's?
Sponsored