Sponsored

2020 Mustang GT vs Camaro SS 1LE

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
I had a black SS 1LE. Great car for the track. Mustang probably better as a daily if you're not putting in road course laps.

Love the Orange with black.

OP
OP

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
I had a black SS 1LE. Great car for the track. Mustang probably better as a daily if you're not putting in road course laps.

Love the Orange with black.
the 1LE is great for a track car. I’m more of a straight line guy and the mustang is definitely the better car for what i want to do

SkyBlast

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ponytales.org
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT with PP1
Who thought it would be a good idea to tilt the screen down toward the shifter? I suppose it helps reduce reflections, who knows. And the door pocket access is from the rear half of the door. The strange and massive double hump above the speedo and tack. The location of the center vents. Who designed the interior on these things?
By the looks of it, a 12 year old intern at Disney! :crackup:

Sponsored

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
So far been lucky both great cars and both have the a10 trannys ..everyday driving the mustang ..more comfortable and better interior layout and easier to get more stuff in the trunk. The Camaro is more the weekend toy
IMG_20200530_194005242.jpg

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I can give you my experience from tracking my 2015 Mustang GT FBO against stock Camaro SS 1LEs... they're fast, right from the factory. They make good power and have magnaride dampening, so they kick ass around the track. They burn a lot of oil on the track, though. One guy put 2 quarts in during the day of 6 20 minute sessions. So there's that.

But that's not what you're asking about.. you're talking about driving on the street and having some fun. That's a whole different ball game, and one I can also tell you about since I owned a Camaro SS a few years back.

It was junk. Lots of stuff broke right from the factory before the thing was 9 months old. From little things like the lights in the driver's side door to big things like the heater core, which dumped antifreeze all over the carpet. They had to replace the carpet because they couldn't get the maple syrup smell out of it and it kept making me want pancakes. Or waffles. Or waffles and pancakes. You get my drift.

I'm sure you heard this before, but they are hard to see out of. Their windows are about 3 inches tall. You also sit low in the car, so it's hard to put your arm on the door and just cruise along, unless you like your elbow being a 30 degree angle from your shoulder.

Passengers don't like riding in them, because they also sit low and all they see is a big, boring dash.

The heating/cooling vents are directly in front of the shifter. Since you are looking at an M6, you'll probably be affected by this. It's only a big deal because if you ride with your hand on the shifter, your hand is either going to get hot or cold, depending on what time of year it is.

See this photo for a better idea of what I'm talking about. High doors, fans blowing directly on your hand, and a goofy looking screen could all be yours.

2019-Chevrolet-Camaro-LT-Turbo-1LE-Interior-First-Drive-Seattle-September-2018-004-cockpit.jpg

On the flip side, the 2020 Mustang GT is an awesome car. Comfortable to ride in, beautiful to behold, and ready to make fantastic amounts of power for a few thousand bucks.

They fixed the shift forks back in 2018, which were made of pure Chinesium and were just itching to break at the most inopportune moment. Thank God for small favors.

Anyways, I hope this helps you decide.

-Steven

PS: I just read your post about the "high pitched rasp" for the Coyote exhaust note... don't buy an X pipe, buy an H pipe with your exhaust. The exhaust note drops an octave and the rasp goes away, as does the drone.

I get a lot of compliments on how my car sounds, because it's not "waaaah waaaaah waaaaah" and constantly grating on your nerves. It's subdued when idling and just cruising along and then "This thing just ripped off my face!" kind of loud when you get into it. American Racing Headers with an H pipe and Pure Thunder mufflers FTW!
I am surprised the Camaro has interior quality issues. I always thought GM was superior to Ford. My 2020 Mustang has had a lot of issues so I thought it was just a Ford thing. Did you have any rattles like the infamous C-pillar rattle we have? Lol

SkyBlast

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ponytales.org
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT with PP1
I am surprised the Camaro has interior quality issues. I always thought GM was superior to Ford. My 2020 Mustang has had a lot of issues so I thought it was just a Ford thing. Did you have any rattles like the infamous C-pillar rattle we have? Lol
I've been driving my 2015 Mustang GT pretty hard for 5 years and 47k miles and have no rattles. I must have gotten a good one! :muscle:

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I've been driving my 2015 Mustang GT pretty hard for 5 years and 47k miles and have no rattles. I must have gotten a good one! :muscle:
Happy to hear that!!!!

2020 GT PP1: In 4 months I already had my 10R80 and APIM unit replaced as well as the plastic trim around my dash that was sagging and the passenger seat that had interior cushion material that was sticking out and was stitched in place so it had to be sent for an upholstering job by the dealer.

My passenger C-pillar had to have felt tape placed to prevent rattle of the airbag canister and the passenger door was strangely buzzing to any music bass; the door panel wasn't installed completely from the factory so it had to be "snapped" in by the dealership. Haha.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Neither my 15GT or my 17 SS 1LE had any rattles

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Thank you for that ^ very informative and real world experience. Ive heard about all the complaints as far as ergonomics in the Camaro, poor visibility etc and i haven’t driven a 6th gen yet to know if it would bother me but it sounds like it would. It seems all the things that would make the Camaro better are track related, which is not for me so I’m definitely leaning way more towards the mustang since starting this thread and researching the mustang more. Good to know they fixed the shift forks in 2018, again ill have to drive the auto and see how i like it. Always been a manual guy, but cant deny the performance of the A10.

The rasp comment was more of a general statement, there’s definitely exhausts i like better. AWE touring is one that sticks out right now. I love the Corsa extreme on my vette but hate it on the mustang (at least in video) its too raspy. Thanks again for your input.
I was a GM guy over Ford. I had a good experience with my C7 Z51 but sold it to have something a little more practical and for when I have to haul a kid or two (I have three). I really wanted a ZL1. I test drive a 2SS 1LE, a ZL1 1LE, and a ZL1. The ZLE was brutal on CT roads. I drive almost exclusively on back roads and zero highways. It was a no go. The regular ZL1 and 2SS 1LE were great on the street. Lots of low end torque, great handling, good manual gear box. I loved the handling. But like the post above I just hated the ergonomics. The placement of the vents, the huge gauge pods, the really poor visibility, the uncomfortable backseat, the strange trunk opening. I also didn’t love the exterior styling especially the back half of the car. As much as I wanted to love the car I just couldn’t. I test drive a PP1 Mustang GT and it was just okay. The Camaro had much better handling and a better gearbox. Then I saw how low prices have fallen on the GT350. Test drove one and fell 8n love. It has the handling of the Camaro with a better engine and exhaust note. Termec gearbox and amazing brakes. It has the practicality and even better looks of the Mustang. If you can swing for a gently used GT350, consider it. Best car I have ever owned.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
If you were going to do any track driving, i would say go 1LE. But you want straight line and you're going to go FI? Gen 3 coyote will handle 800whp all day on stock internals.

OP
OP

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
If you were going to do any track driving, i would say go 1LE. But you want straight line and you're going to go FI? Gen 3 coyote will handle 800whp all day on stock internals.
thats the conclusion I’ve come to. Regular Camaro ss/1LE is out. If anything a used ZL1. But most likely a mustang

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
thats the conclusion I’ve come to. Regular Camaro ss/1LE is out. If anything a used ZL1. But most likely a mustang
Uhh, isn't that what everyone in this thread told you back when you started this thread.

Ring any bells??

"There's no point to paying extra for a 1LE if you don't ever wanna track the car and only care about straight line."

OP
OP

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
Uhh, isn't that what everyone in this thread told you back when you started this thread.

Ring any bells??

"There's no point to paying extra for a 1LE if you don't ever wanna track the car and only care about straight line."

“paying extra for a 1LE” was never the issue or the question at all. Because i wanted all the options in the 1LE regardless. It was just a N/A Camaro vs boosted mustang for a weekend car. and the mustang is what i decided on.
Sponsored