Looking into buying a 12-14 Ford explorer

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I'm looking to replaced my 2002 4Runner with a newer vehicle. I just don't have the time to build it up with the mustang being the priority. Initially I was looking at a gen 1 GX470 but not too many affordable options in my area although the V8 makes it worth it I love the new Explorers but a bit out of my range at the moment.
I don't off road and looking to get at least 5-8 years out of it. Looking for something with size comparable to my current 4Runner
So my questions are:
What do you guys think about a 12-14 Explorer XLT?
How many miles do they usually last for?
(I understand 100k on a Lexus is different than a 100k Ford)

Looking for some advice. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
Hello. The wife has owned and driven the following “Explorer” models since 2002: 2002, 2007, 2010 Sport Tracs, 2014 Explorer XLT, and now a 2020 Explorer ST. She put 80k on the 2014, and the only repair/warranty work was the water pump dying at 70k. Good reliable transportation. She has been pleased with the Explorer series as a whole. Hope this helps.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Hello. The wife has owned and driven the following “Explorer” models since 2002: 2002, 2007, 2010 Sport Tracs, 2014 Explorer XLT, and now a 2020 Explorer ST. She put 80k on the 2014, and the only repair/warranty work was the water pump dying at 70k. Good reliable transportation. She has been pleased with the Explorer series as a whole. Hope this helps.
That's very helpful. Thank you. Will continue looking around then

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
This is the best Explorer forum; member there too)...

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/categories/2011-2019-ford-explorer-5th-generation-explorer.151/

Be aware that the 3.5 V6 version of the Exp has a very different water pump setup that is an internal water pump and when it goes.... well, it can kill the engine... I think it applies to 2015-2017 or up to 2019...

check the threads on that site...
Thank you sir. I was wondering if there was a dedicated forum for the platform. Been going all thru the Facebook pages looking.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would shoot for a V8 2010 Explorer. Old body, 4.6 3V engine and 6 speed trans. Tried and true combo. I am NOT fan of the SOHC 4.0 V6.

For an alternative..

Consider a Jeep Grand Cherokee around the same model years. The 4.7 and 5.7 V8’s are both solid engines (look for 08 and up) and resale is not great so you can get a good deal on fully loaded models.

Or look for a V8 4-Runner. Those are sweet rides. I believe the 4.7 is a timing belt versus timing chain engine in those years so ensuring that’s changed in accordance to the maintenance schedule is critical.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I would shoot for a V8 2010 Explorer. Old body, 4.6 3V engine and 6 speed trans. Tried and true combo. I am NOT fan of the SOHC 4.0 V6.

For an alternative..

Consider a Jeep Grand Cherokee around the same model years. The 4.7 and 5.7 V8’s are both solid engines (look for 08 and up) and resale is not great so you can get a good deal on fully loaded models.

Or look for a V8 4-Runner. Those are sweet rides. I believe the 4.7 is a timing belt versus timing chain engine in those years so ensuring that’s changed in accordance to the maintenance schedule is critical.
Really appreciate the help. Coincidentally, I did look at Grand Cherokees and couldn't find one that was a decent V8.

I agree on the 4Runners as being great reliable vehicles. I was looking at 4th gens but there is either rust or priced more than what Im willing to pay for the car. I love the 3rd gen I have but just cant put money/time into it if Im working on the mustang.

Fortunately, I found got a sweet deal on a '06 GX470 in amazing condition. Finalizing everything next week and then will plan a flight to Georgia from Maryland to seal the deal.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Really appreciate the help. Coincidentally, I did look at Grand Cherokees and couldn't find one that was a decent V8.

I agree on the 4Runners as being great reliable vehicles. I was looking at 4th gens but there is either rust or priced more than what Im willing to pay for the car. I love the 3rd gen I have but just cant put money/time into it if Im working on the mustang.

Fortunately, I found got a sweet deal on a '06 GX470 in amazing condition. Finalizing everything next week and then will plan a flight to Georgia from Maryland to seal the deal.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Awesome! The GX are super nice and it’s Toyota build quality so I’m sure it’ll feel familiar like the 4-Runner.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

For an alternative..

I couldn't say I LIKE the 4.0 V6, but I owned one in a 2003 Explorer that had 240+ thousand miles on it. It made good power for what it was. It didn't burn a drop of oil. It didn't LEAK a drop of oil either, which was amazing to me. I owned that vehicle for 4 years, it was very reliable.

I only sold it because I just didn't like it. I'm not an SUV person. It was fine for winter driving, but it bored me to tears.

That Explorer even got rear-ended by a semi. I replaced the rear hatch and drove it another year before I sold it.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I couldn't say I LIKE the 4.0 V6, but I owned one in a 2003 Explorer that had 240+ thousand miles on it. It made good power for what it was. It didn't burn a drop of oil. It didn't LEAK a drop of oil either, which was amazing to me. I owned that vehicle for 4 years, it was very reliable.

I only sold it because I just didn't like it. I'm not an SUV person. It was fine for winter driving, but it bored me to tears.

That Explorer even got rear-ended by a semi. I replaced the rear hatch and drove it another year before I sold it.
I like Explorers, but the SOHC 4.0 was known to eat timing components and it has a front AND rear timing set. The tensioners and chains would start getting noisy and it all goes downhill from there until you replaced them or they failed. Major work and expensive if they give issues due to that idiotic FR design. Maybe the issue was resolved in later models. Other than that, yeah, not a bad engine.. it’s a pretty stout and reliable engine. Certainly smooth.

The later ones never went through a significant revision to make more power.. the V8 just makes the Sploders less lethargic and helps with towing :)
Sponsored