Stereo Upgrades

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Where did you end up buying the speakers?
A local store had them on sale. I'm in Canada so that won't help you much.
Sponsored

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
How's the Hertz/Morel compared to a Focal ? I have the Focal 165AS3 3-way active and they're too harsh for me and haven't been able to get them properly dialed in. I prefer a soft and warm kind of sound so would the Hertz be a good choice ?

Thanks

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
How's the Hertz/Morel compared to a Focal ? I have the Focal 165AS3 3-way active and they're too harsh for me and haven't been able to get them properly dialed in. I prefer a soft and warm kind of sound so would the Hertz be a good choice ?

Thanks
I have not heard the Hertz but do use 3 way active Morel Ultimo's with a DSR1 and dual 6.5" subs in the rear deck (very similar setup to the OP). In the past I have used JL Audio C5-650 in my Corvette and Hybrid Audio in my BRZ, and I am definitely a Morel fan now. Not nearly as harsh as the JL's, but the key to much of this is going active on all channels and have a DSP to fine tune the sound. If you don't have a DSP, I would start there first and see if you can dial in the Focal's to your liking.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
I have not heard the Hertz but do use 3 way active Morel Ultimo's with a DSR1 and dual 6.5" subs in the rear deck (very similar setup to the OP). In the past I have used JL Audio C5-650 in my Corvette and Hybrid Audio in my BRZ, and I am definitely a Morel fan now. Not nearly as harsh as the JL's, but the key to much of this is going active on all channels and have a DSP to fine tune the sound. If you don't have a DSP, I would start there first and see if you can dial in the Focal's to your liking.
Yeah i have a Helix DSP .3 and the shop which did my install tuned it. It's still a little bright and i tried tweaking it but can't get the balance right between mids and tweeter brightness. If I tone down the tweeters, mids overpower the system and if I tone down mids, it starts sounding too muffled. I'm thinking of getting either JL Audio, Morels or Hertz now...

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Yeah i have a Helix DSP .3 and the shop which did my install tuned it. It's still a little bright and i tried tweaking it but can't get the balance right between mids and tweeter brightness. If I tone down the tweeters, mids overpower the system and if I tone down mids, it starts sounding too muffled. I'm thinking of getting either JL Audio, Morels or Hertz now...
I would definitely go the soft dome tweeter route if you want to reduce harshness. Since you are active with a DSP your other option is just to swap out the tweeter and keep the Focal mids and woofers. A little more money but both Scanspeak (Madisound is a good site to buy from) and Audio Frog are considered the next level tweeters if you look through the mobile audio forums.

Sponsored

OP
OP
hobbie1

hobbie1

hobbie1
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
Update On where I'm at

Final installed

Rockford Fosgate DSR1
https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/dsr1/

Plug and Play T Harness for 15 and up Mustang - HRN-AR-F03
https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/hrn-ar-fo3/

Removed the Morel Maximo 3 way components after I blew out the tweeters. The rest of the kit (less the tweeters) is going on Craigs List.
https://www.morelhifi.com/product/maximo-ultra/

Install the Hertz MPK 163.5 set

https://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/HERTZ_Mille-PRO_MPK163_Tech_Sheet.pdf

JL Audio 6 channel XD 600 6V2 6 channels one channel for each speaker in the front.
https://www.jlaudio.com/products/xd600-6v2-car-audio-xdv2-amplifiers-98605

Auto Fanatic's rear deck sub woofer kit - note I used the MX 500 for the AMP. This is a nice setup as you preserve your trunk space.
https://www.auto-fanatic.com/product/shelby-gt350-audio-upgrade/

JL Audio MX 500/1 to drive. the rear subs.
https://www.jlaudio.com/collections...roducts/mx500-1-car-audio-mx-amplifiers-98407

Center channel speaker - disconnected

The Hertz speakers sound great - not as bright as the Morels. Dived into the setting the shop made on the JL Audio Amps. They did not turn off the filters. After confirming with JL I turned them off. This made no sense as it seems to me having the filters on at the amp would screw up the settings from the DSR1.

After setting the DSR1 to the Hertz Specs the sound is now great. The Hertz have a much more smoother pleasant sound.

Next step - I purchased the Mini DSP mic, installed the software and downloaded pink noise files. I'm getting ready go thru the tune process tonight after the temp drops out in the garage.

Here are some photos.

Rear shelf where AMPS are installed + 2 subs
Hertz speaker install photos.
Used the original mid speaker frames - removed the caps and wired in the new speakers retaining the use of the factory plugs.
Cut out the factory mid bass speakers and reused the frames installing the new speakers in those frames. Retained th use of the factory plugs.
New wiring from the amp to the tweeters. Trimmed out the pillars to install the tweeters.

Note - when screwing the Hertz mid bass speakers into the frames go slow into the plastic also if you line up the speakers to the door one of the screws will hit a blade in the connector - you will need a shorter screw. Ask me how I know.......

Answer to the bright the questions - the Hertz are much more refined and can be tuned. The documentation is very good. They are just more civil -not too bright. I found a set in Modesto and go a great deal on the $749 out the door.....

Installed Road Kill rings to the mid base
IMG_0005.jpeg
IMG_0037.jpeg
IMG_0038.jpeg
IMG_0030.jpeg
IMG_0031.jpeg
IMG_0044.jpeg
IMG_0045.jpeg
IMG_0047.jpeg
IMG_0053.jpeg
IMG_0127.jpeg

OP
OP
hobbie1

hobbie1

hobbie1
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350

Thanks
I think the Focals are similar to the Morels. The Hertz have a broader Freq range 40 to 22.5K and are just cleaner.

I have the link to the Hertz speakers above.

Last edited:

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
I think the Focals are similar to the Morels. The Hertz have a broader Freq range 40 to 22.5K and are just cleaner.

I have the link to the Hertz speakers above.
Thanks, good to hear that Hertz worked for you. I was almost about to go with the Morels but your experience convinced me to look at Hertz. Do the 3.5 mids fit without making any contact with the door panel?

OP
OP
hobbie1

hobbie1

hobbie1
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
Yes they fit better than the Morels did. If you look close you'll see that I used the mounting hardware included, removed the Ford mid range speakers and then mounted the Hertz on the Ford mounts. Soldered the wires in place and then was good to go. Used the small screws included, went slow and attached the speaker to the Ford frame. If you search the forums you'll find the stereo wiring diagram to verify the connections. Keep in mind that the factory connects the tweeters and mid range in the harness. This is why we ran new wires from the AMP to the tweeters. Or you can use the crossovers included.
IMG_0044.jpeg

OP
OP
hobbie1

hobbie1

hobbie1
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
Now if I can just figure out how to use the MiniDSP tuning mic and software to set the DSR1...... I don't know what I'm doing... Yet.

Sponsored

Racemaster

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.skspeed.com
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush 2003 Marauder
Those are the speakers I run.
They sound smooth and take a good beating too.Never harsh.

OP
OP
hobbie1

hobbie1

hobbie1
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
Racemaster, Wondering what you are driving them with? Also did you make any changes to the Forescan?

OP
OP
hobbie1

hobbie1

hobbie1
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
Question - anyone notice that the tune setup on the DSR1 sounds different depending on the source - Radio versus iPhone. I have less vol with the iPhone playing. Also wondering if I should disable the EQ in Forscan ? We have a shop programmer so no big deal can do it quickly. Not sure it's necessary with the DSR1 in place.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
Question - anyone notice that the tune setup on the DSR1 sounds different depending on the source - Radio versus iPhone. I have less vol with the iPhone playing. Also wondering if I should disable the EQ in Forscan ? We have a shop programmer so no big deal can do it quickly. Not sure it's necessary with the DSR1 in place.
Yes you should disable the EQ using Forscan to get a clean signal from the ACM to the DSP. Otherwise you'll have to remove the factory EQ processing and I'm not sure if you can do that with the DSR1
Sponsored