Redlining your car

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
If I may ask, what is your milage? Estimate is okay.
I am at about 31,000 in 5+ years. It’s fully warranted for about 3 more years and another 69,000 miles under the Ford extended warranty I bought...I need to drive it more!
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have to give FoMoCo a lot of credit for these engines, and the engine is why I bought the car to be honest. I've complained ad infinitum about the stupid 100mm bore center that they backed themselves into (Such a poor, poor choice made for a FWD V-8 engine plan in the 90's) and because of that, they have to make a ton of somewhat questionable choices. Because the engine has OHC, the heads are huge, which means in order to cram the engine into an engine bay, the deck height needs to be small. But, to compete with a 6.2/6.4 OHV engine, without FI, you need to (1) bore out the cylinders as much as possible and (2) stroke it. (1) is self-limited to approximately the bore size of the Voodoo. So the only way to build cubes is to stroke it. Normally, not much of a problem, but because of the short deck height, you really have to compromise the rod length and/or put the piston pin darn near into the oil groove. A complete mess in terms of engineering, yet the thing I love about this engine is just how well they built it in order to cope with the cards stacked against it. If this exact same engine was built by anyone, with possible exception to the Germans, it would have a 6k redline because they would use "standard grade" materials. But because they know the piston acceleration is going to be pretty high (due to the long stroke, short rod combo) and the sidewall loading is going to be high (same reason) they use really good forged internals to take the abuse.

And don't even get me started on the Voodoo...That thing deserves to be in a museum - If I could afford it, I'd buy a few of the crankshafts and use them as lamp stands because they are so cool.

The silly thing is, if GM was willing to throw a few dollars into the LS/LT engine (Basically employing a lot of the coyote's features) the engines would easily hit 550HP. We'll see that as well with the C8 (Presumably Z06) 5.5L engine...Just imagine if that engine was punched out to the same 6.2L the LS/LT has.

*Note I know the C8R "only" makes 500HP, but it's race-dressed designed for abuse. A street engine would make more power.

The engine cost for the coyote I would guess is at least double the cost of the LS/LT.

The funny thing is how people discredit the torque of the Coyote. It is absolutely massive. Given it's size, it outperforms a lot of way more expensive engines...And again, I'l talking torque, not HP (Technically Brake Mean Effective Pressure [BMEP]). Check out this video explaining just how awesome it is.
Great post.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I have to give FoMoCo a lot of credit for these engines, and the engine is why I bought the car to be honest. I've complained ad infinitum about the stupid 100mm bore center that they backed themselves into (Such a poor, poor choice made for a FWD V-8 engine plan in the 90's) and because of that, they have to make a ton of somewhat questionable choices. Because the engine has OHC, the heads are huge, which means in order to cram the engine into an engine bay, the deck height needs to be small. But, to compete with a 6.2/6.4 OHV engine, without FI, you need to (1) bore out the cylinders as much as possible and (2) stroke it. (1) is self-limited to approximately the bore size of the Voodoo. So the only way to build cubes is to stroke it. Normally, not much of a problem, but because of the short deck height, you really have to compromise the rod length and/or put the piston pin darn near into the oil groove. A complete mess in terms of engineering, yet the thing I love about this engine is just how well they built it in order to cope with the cards stacked against it. If this exact same engine was built by anyone, with possible exception to the Germans, it would have a 6k redline because they would use "standard grade" materials. But because they know the piston acceleration is going to be pretty high (due to the long stroke, short rod combo) and the sidewall loading is going to be high (same reason) they use really good forged internals to take the abuse.
Well put.

100mm bore spacing would have made for a very nice 4.2 or 4.3.

And don't even get me started on the Voodoo...That thing deserves to be in a museum - If I could afford it, I'd buy a few of the crankshafts and use them as lamp stands because they are so cool.
Truth be told, the Voodoo's up-down-up-down crankshaft wasn't the best way to go about building a FPC engine either.

The funny thing is how people discredit the torque of the Coyote. It is absolutely massive. Given it's size, it outperforms a lot of way more expensive engines...And again, I'l talking torque, not HP (Technically Brake Mean Effective Pressure [BMEP]). Check out this video explaining just how awesome it is.
Torque ends up being primarily a function of displacement, and 84 ft*lbs per liter naturally aspirated is right up there.

Norm

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Well put.

Torque ends up being primarily a function of displacement, and 84 ft*lbs per liter naturally aspirated is right up there.

Norm
more a function of stroke. the stroke gets squared in the full equation for torque per stroke, while the piston area is only multiplied once. And an increase in bore results in an increase in friction(albeit not as much as it adds in power). one of the other reasons the coyote achieves such high numbers for it's displacement, bring a 'square' design. albeit all of the modulars have been square or over square. The fact that they turn as many RPMs as they do though with a >3.5" stroke is pretty darn impressive, that would normally be reserved for smaller stroke motors., hence all the tech. Yeah, Ford did good.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
more a function of stroke. the stroke gets squared in the full equation for torque per stroke, while the piston area is only multiplied once. And an increase in bore results in an increase in friction(albeit not as much as it adds in power). one of the other reasons the coyote achieves such high numbers for it's displacement, bring a 'square' design. albeit all of the modulars have been square or over square. The fact that they turn as many RPMs as they do though with a >3.5" stroke is pretty darn impressive, that would normally be reserved for smaller stroke motors., hence all the tech. Yeah, Ford did good.
Got to think about that some. Piston area would be a [bore]^2 parameter.

Norm

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

The silly thing is, if GM was willing to throw a few dollars into the LS/LT engine (Basically employing a lot of the coyote's features) the engines would easily hit 550HP. We'll see that as well with the C8 (Presumably Z06) 5.5L engine...Just imagine if that engine was punched out to the same 6.2L the LS/LT has.

*Note I know the C8R "only" makes 500HP, but it's race-dressed designed for abuse. A street engine would make more power.

The engine cost for the coyote I would guess is at least double the cost of the LS/LT.

Very true. I got into an argument with someone once who refused to admit that the coyote had any advantages over the LS/LT at all and refused to acknowledge just how much the Coyote is doing with that 307 cubic inches. He called it "bench racing". Sure, its a lot larger and heavier, but the powerband and smoothness/ease of pulling revs is truly a joy. And its only making 10 less horsepower and 50 less torque despite being way down on displacement. BMEP wise it shames the LT engines. And my favorite part, it can do all of this without a gas guzzler tax, and without stupid tricks like cylinder deactivation or skip shift. All while sounding amazing.

Thats not to say modern LS designs aren't impressive in their own right, mind you. But the fact Ford was able to achieve this kind of efficiency with a mass production engine is very impressive to me.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Very true. I got into an argument with someone once who refused to admit that the coyote had any advantages over the LS/LT at all and refused to acknowledge just how much the Coyote is doing with that 307 cubic inches. He called it "bench racing". Sure, its a lot larger and heavier, but the powerband and smoothness/ease of pulling revs is truly a joy. And its only making 10 less horsepower and 50 less torque despite being way down on displacement. BMEP wise it shames the LT engines. And my favorite part, it can do all of this without a gas guzzler tax, and without stupid tricks like cylinder deactivation or skip shift. All while sounding amazing.

Thats not to say modern LS designs aren't impressive in their own right, mind you. But the fact Ford was able to achieve this kind of efficiency with a mass production engine is very impressive to me.
10 less hp than what? The Gen 3 Coyote is rated at 460 hp and 420 ft-lbs torque, and the LT1 at 455 hp and 455 ft-lbs torque. So it's +5 hp and -35 ft-lbs torque. The difference grows if you're comparing to an LS3, which had 426 hp and 420 ft-lbs. Comparing hp/liter or BMEP between two different engine designs (DOHC vs OHV) isn't the best comparison. It's really only a fair comparison if you're comparing similar engine technology. Also, the LT1 and Gen 3 Coyote weigh pretty close to the same amount. The Coyote is physically larger than the LT1, due to the large heads holding 4 cams.

Anyway, I do love me my Gen 3 Coyote engine. Takes bolt ons really well, and is awesome with that 10-speed auto due to the very flat hp curve at the top end of the rev range.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
10 less hp than what? The Gen 3 Coyote is rated at 460 hp and 420 ft-lbs torque, and the LT1 at 455 hp and 455 ft-lbs torque. So it's +5 hp and -35 ft-lbs torque. The difference grows if you're comparing to an LS3, which had 426 hp and 420 ft-lbs. Comparing hp/liter or BMEP between two different engine designs (DOHC vs OHV) isn't the best comparison. It's really only a fair comparison if you're comparing similar engine technology. Also, the LT1 and Gen 3 Coyote weigh pretty close to the same amount. The Coyote is physically larger than the LT1, due to the large heads holding 4 cams.

Anyway, I do love me my Gen 3 Coyote engine. Takes bolt ons really well, and is awesome with that 10-speed auto due to the very flat hp curve at the top end of the rev range.
Sorry, I should have clarified I was talking about the LS2 in the new c8 when I gave the horsepower comparison. And thats fair, i do think BMEP gives a good idea of efficiency, but its not fair between architectures especially since displacement can compensate for it.

The guy I was arguing insisted LT1/LT2 is over 100lbs lighter but I couldn't find undressed versus undressed weights anywhere.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I think there are probably a dozen ways to compare engines, I would argue the total BMEP under the curve, which would mean the coyote would annihilate the LS because the coyote in stock form can rev way higher than the LS/LT. If you compare tech, the coyote blows them away as well. Even the cam-in-a-cam for the LT* was present in limited form in the 2008 Viper (Exhaust only) and 2013 Viper (Both I & E). If the comparison was the power per weight, then it all depends on the weight. I saw a video comparing them somewhere and I think the weights were quite close. If the comparison is peak torque per physical size, then the LS/LT would win. If it was purely a bang-for-the-buck, the LS/LT would blow away the coyote because the LS has to be so much cheaper to make.

In case it isn't already evident, I am an engine snob, I buy the engine first, and then get the car for free. The coyote is simply built more like a race car engine (*) then the LS/LT. It loves to rev, and in my opinion sounds orders of magnitude better than the LS/LT. And this is coming from a guy that also has a hemi right now, and I've had four camaro's in the past. I'll fully admit this is a over-generalization, but to me, compared to the coyote, the LS/LT feels as if you're trying to race with a diesel engine...Just when the engine starts to get alive, you have to shift back into 'boring' speeds.

* Yes, I will agree that Nascar and Top Fuel pushrod engines do exist and they certainly are race car engines, but I would argue that the majority of race cars use multicam "screamers" (read: high rpm engines).

Now I will give credit to the LS/LT in that it has a far superior dry-sump oil system. For the money, it's hard to find a dry-sump system anywhere near the price. Even the Viper in all it's glory didn't have it, and instead had the silly-but-effective swinging pickup.

Lest we forget the oil pump gears in the coyote though, perhaps the only part in the coyote that blatantly screams for help. Ford's not the only mfg that has succumbed to the powdered-metal-gear mistress though, but nevertheless going with a forged or billet piece wouldn't have cost that much more when accounting for the qty of the gears needed. Especially if the gear is used for other engines (I'm not sure if this is the case though, although it is common at least in the case of Dodge where the lowly SRT-4 engine used the same oil pump as the 4.7L truck engine **).

** I spent a little bit of time trying to find the reference, and I can't find it anymore so take that with a grain of salt.

Not that it really matters, but I think the pinnacle of engine designs -bar none- if the Koenigsegg milles with the freevalve technology. If hybrid/all-electric cars weren't the rage, then I think everyone would have went with the freevalve technology within the next 20 years. In one fell swoop, it makes the camshaft appear about as useful as a muffler bearing.

I apologize to the OP, I know I got way off track. But as far as redlining the coyote, as far as I'm concerned, the single-most point of failure is the oil pump gears. People that have blowers on the cars have more problems than others and there are two theories that I have read, one is the extra harmonics introduced through the blower drive and the other is simply the force of the high belt tension on the front of the crank, which happens to be right where the oil pump gears are. So long as you're not disturbing the oil pump gear, whether it be by cavitation or by inertial disturbances (e.g. a violent RPM change like with a fuel shut off), then I think it's fine. Many manufacturers test the engines way harder than the average customer. It's simply cheaper for them to overbuild an engine then to "right size" it and have to deal with warranty issues for guys/gals like us that can't leave well enough alone :)

I know it is widely reported by Allpar that Dodge designs their engines to last over 150,000 miles at >95% of typical consumer use - meaning that they beat on it harder than 95% of their customers and still expect 150k miles out of it. I've read about other manufacturers that will go through hot/cold cycles up to redline, for hours at a time. Back when I was in college, I interned for Eaton and was literally paid to drop parts on the ground and then report on if they still worked. It was a cool job.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
Got to think about that some. Piston area would be a [bore]^2 parameter.

Norm
yes, but you're really using the piston area there not the bore exactly, whereas with the stroke you are talking about that specific dimension. Semantics,yes. Still goes to show, Ford did an awesome job with this motor. it is only unfortuante they did somewhat neuter themselves with sticking with the 5.0 monikor/displacement instead of going with more (say....351...)

Sponsored

5.0S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
The guy I was arguing insisted LT1/LT2 is over 100lbs lighter but I couldn't find undressed versus undressed weights anywhere.
I'm pretty sure the gen 3 coyote is actually lighter than the lt1 by like 20lbs (444 vs 465) in any case they are close enough in weight to make next no real difference.

10 less hp than what? The Gen 3 Coyote is rated at 460 hp and 420 ft-lbs torque, and the LT1 at 455 hp and 455 ft-lbs torque. So it's +5 hp and -35 ft-lbs torque. The difference grows if you're comparing to an LS3, which had 426 hp and 420 ft-lbs.
And that is if you really only compare what the ratings are. The gen 3 is underrated in hp and tq, Gen 3's are rated at only 20 more ft-lbs than the gen 2 yet if you look at stock gen 2 dyno's they normally make 350-360wtq while gen 3's normally make 390-400wtq. For another comparison point the stock lt1 rated at 450tq normally dyno's 400-410wtq.

Last edited:

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Sorry, I should have clarified I was talking about the LS2 in the new c8 when I gave the horsepower comparison. And thats fair, i do think BMEP gives a good idea of efficiency, but its not fair between architectures especially since displacement can compensate for it.

Ah yes, the Bullitt/Mach 1 Coyote vs the base C8 LT2, that makes sense.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I think there are probably a dozen ways to compare engines, I would argue the total BMEP under the curve, which would mean the coyote would annihilate the LS because the coyote in stock form can rev way higher than the LS/LT. If you compare tech, the coyote blows them away as well. Even the cam-in-a-cam for the LT* was present in limited form in the 2008 Viper (Exhaust only) and 2013 Viper (Both I & E). If the comparison was the power per weight, then it all depends on the weight. I saw a video comparing them somewhere and I think the weights were quite close. If the comparison is peak torque per physical size, then the LS/LT would win. If it was purely a bang-for-the-buck, the LS/LT would blow away the coyote because the LS has to be so much cheaper to make.

In case it isn't already evident, I am an engine snob, I buy the engine first, and then get the car for free. The coyote is simply built more like a race car engine (*) then the LS/LT. It loves to rev, and in my opinion sounds orders of magnitude better than the LS/LT. And this is coming from a guy that also has a hemi right now, and I've had four camaro's in the past. I'll fully admit this is a over-generalization, but to me, compared to the coyote, the LS/LT feels as if you're trying to race with a diesel engine...Just when the engine starts to get alive, you have to shift back into 'boring' speeds.

* Yes, I will agree that Nascar and Top Fuel pushrod engines do exist and they certainly are race car engines, but I would argue that the majority of race cars use multicam "screamers" (read: high rpm engines).

Now I will give credit to the LS/LT in that it has a far superior dry-sump oil system. For the money, it's hard to find a dry-sump system anywhere near the price. Even the Viper in all it's glory didn't have it, and instead had the silly-but-effective swinging pickup.

Lest we forget the oil pump gears in the coyote though, perhaps the only part in the coyote that blatantly screams for help. Ford's not the only mfg that has succumbed to the powdered-metal-gear mistress though, but nevertheless going with a forged or billet piece wouldn't have cost that much more when accounting for the qty of the gears needed. Especially if the gear is used for other engines (I'm not sure if this is the case though, although it is common at least in the case of Dodge where the lowly SRT-4 engine used the same oil pump as the 4.7L truck engine **).

** I spent a little bit of time trying to find the reference, and I can't find it anymore so take that with a grain of salt.

Not that it really matters, but I think the pinnacle of engine designs -bar none- if the Koenigsegg milles with the freevalve technology. If hybrid/all-electric cars weren't the rage, then I think everyone would have went with the freevalve technology within the next 20 years. In one fell swoop, it makes the camshaft appear about as useful as a muffler bearing.

I apologize to the OP, I know I got way off track. But as far as redlining the coyote, as far as I'm concerned, the single-most point of failure is the oil pump gears. People that have blowers on the cars have more problems than others and there are two theories that I have read, one is the extra harmonics introduced through the blower drive and the other is simply the force of the high belt tension on the front of the crank, which happens to be right where the oil pump gears are. So long as you're not disturbing the oil pump gear, whether it be by cavitation or by inertial disturbances (e.g. a violent RPM change like with a fuel shut off), then I think it's fine. Many manufacturers test the engines way harder than the average customer. It's simply cheaper for them to overbuild an engine then to "right size" it and have to deal with warranty issues for guys/gals like us that can't leave well enough alone :)

I know it is widely reported by Allpar that Dodge designs their engines to last over 150,000 miles at >95% of typical consumer use - meaning that they beat on it harder than 95% of their customers and still expect 150k miles out of it. I've read about other manufacturers that will go through hot/cold cycles up to redline, for hours at a time. Back when I was in college, I interned for Eaton and was literally paid to drop parts on the ground and then report on if they still worked. It was a cool job.
Good stuff. I agree the Gen 3 Coyote feels more advanced in tech. than the LT1. Have you read this article about the development of the Coyote? They tortured the crap out of it.

"Besides meeting the performance goals the Coyote had to pass all of Ford's standard durability tests. These dyno sessions are incredibly brutal, always far exceeding what any rational customer would do to his engine, and occasionally surpassing what is physically possible in a car.

We observed some of this internal combustion water-boarding, and for anyone with a foot-pound of mechanical sympathy it isn't pretty. Engines run fatigue cycles equivalent to 62 Daytona 500 races. Others replicate customer drive cycles for 1,000 running hours to include 1,000 cold starts, plus hitting its peak torque and power for sustained periods. That test alone runs 100 hours a week for two and a half months.

We witnessed another torture session where the engine was run at WOT for several minutes, the headers glowing just a hint of red, then the engine shut off and after several seconds of sitting, -20 degree ice water was forced through the cooling system. Frost formed on the test rig as the engine was about frozen to death, then the ice water stopped, the engine started and after a handful of seconds idling was taken back to max rpm, max load for another heat cycle up to 225 degrees. Each complete cycle takes about 10 minutes, and the engine must survive days of these non-stop thermal shocks."

http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts/m5lp-1003-2011-ford-mustang-gt-50-coyote-engine