The Whipple "difference"... LOL

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I, unfortunately, am having the same experience. I have had an issue with their tune since April of this year and here we are going into July with my car still sidelined as I try to get a tuning fix. I think their lack of customer support is terrifying and a shame for people who spend so much money on their systems. I am extremely dissatisfied with the support I have received with this kit. Shame.
Hey there,
Can you be more specific about the tune issue?
Thanks!
Sponsored

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
All these posts and now I’m not so sure I wanna buy a whipple now. Finally have all the money for a stage 2 kit but damn. Have to re think it now. Didn’t realize whipple customer service was in the same building as Sprint customer service.
Well, I would not tell you what to do, but I can tell you what I would do if I had a time machine and could go back to just before the Black Friday sale in 2019...

I would buy a VMP instead because, not only do they tune each supercharger to each car, they also sell kits that are similar to Roush and Ford, so you aren't limited to buying replacement parts from one manufacturer. Also, VMP puts a TON of information out there on youtube and their own website for installations so you don't have to rely on an email tech support system that takes so long you may end up waiting indefinitely. I like to do things "by the book" and ended up with quite a few questions and concerns about things not addressed in the Whipple manual, as well as pictures that didn't make sense to me, pictures of parts not included in the version of the kit I installed, and typos in the manual. The VMP, Ford, Roush installation manuals seem like they were written by professionals.

Also, I am fearful that if you break the belt on the Whipple kit, (correct me if you know for a fact that I'm wrong) you will lose power steering. The VMP kit runs a separate belt for the SC.

In fact, I'm pondering pulling my current Whipple and replacing it with a VMP this winter. Justin, do you want to do a trade?

I do have a couple positive things to say about the Whipple, such as the fact that you don't have to cut the K-brace, and you don't have to cut the bosses off of the engine (You probably won't ever need them anyway.) I won't get into all of the things that bug me about the Whipple kit. But...

In my mind, my BIGGEST complaint is the communication.

Last edited:

dltn761

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dalton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Hey there,
Can you be more specific about the tune issue?
Thanks!
Yeah. So originally I had start up issues where it would either crank for a long time before it actually fired up or it would fire up and then drop down, bounce around 500rpm and then die or catch itself. That problem never went away but when I am driving it and I roll up to a stop out of gear, the engine rpm will drop from 750 to 500 and seem like it wants to die, then catch itself. I had a shop look at it and they determined that it was getting too much fuel and the barometric pressure it was calculating was wrong, giving it issues. Whipple originally tried to diagnose it as a MAF issue, but hasn't got to me since that last talk (11Jun20). Haven't had any help since.

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yeah. So originally I had start up issues where it would either crank for a long time before it actually fired up or it would fire up and then drop down, bounce around 500rpm and then die or catch itself. That problem never went away but when I am driving it and I roll up to a stop out of gear, the engine rpm will drop from 750 to 500 and seem like it wants to die, then catch itself. I had a shop look at it and they determined that it was getting too much fuel and the barometric pressure it was calculating was wrong, giving it issues. Whipple originally tried to diagnose it as a MAF issue, but hasn't got to me since that last talk (11Jun20). Haven't had any help since.
I'm no expert at all. But, are you 100% sure there are no vacuum leaks? I guess it could be too much fuel, but it sounds an awful lot like a vacuum leak. Some people spray everything down with carb cleaner while someone else watches the tach to see if there are any changes. I sprayed mine down around the base of the intercooler, blower, throttle body, etc. before contacting Whipple.

My car has a boost gauge, vacuum gauge, A/F ratio, and a few others between the tach/speedo. I assume your car has that as well. Maybe check those out while it's running badly.

I wish you luck.

dltn761

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dalton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
I'm no expert at all. But, are you 100% sure there are no vacuum leaks? I guess it could be too much fuel, but it sounds an awful lot like a vacuum leak. Some people spray everything down with carb cleaner while someone else watches the tach to see if there are any changes. I sprayed mine down around the base of the intercooler, blower, throttle body, etc. before contacting Whipple.

My car has a boost gauge, vacuum gauge, A/F ratio, and a few others between the tach/speedo. I assume your car has that as well. Maybe check those out while it's running badly.

I wish you luck.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I had a shop check it for any vacuum leaks, and they also diagnosed it with the issue. I guess when they do they dyno tune, they will truly see if I screwed up the build, but I trust them so far with their diagnosis.

I'll let you know what happens after the dyno tune.

Sponsored

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 PP1 301A A10
Well after reading these threads I won’t be going with whipple, that’s for sure. Customer service needs to be job one. I’m done hearing Covid excuses. They need to be as quick with customer service as they were with the sale of the kit. No more excuses.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I won’t be going with whipple, that’s for sure.
Definitely not a good fit to buy a kit without an installer and then not have a experienced tech physically on hand to troubleshoot with kit vendor.

PM If you ever need a Whipple installed.
I know a guy that used to live up in Eagle-Vail and swing chairs and patrol volley BC, Copper, WP. Thinkn hes looking for a place to park a RAV4 w snowtires year round so its available evertime he flies out to ski and house hunt.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
@Slopoke
In Post #11 I state I have followed the Whipple process for loading, but thanks for checking.

@sigintel
My answers in blue.
How old is the battery in your stang?
What is the voltage?
The car was built in Jan 2019
Do you have a battery tender or trickle charger on the car?
I do, I had to buy one because of the delay Whipple have in fxing the issue.

Ford ECU setup is VERY tight w battery power consumption and any detecting of low battery voltage can cause various module to go into low battery voltage lockout. This is easily triggered with a 24+ month old battery with lower standby voltage... or, due to the damn daytime or parking lights coming on by default at key on.
That's useful to know, going forward, but in my case the battery is topped up.

Thus, This may be a Ford ECU issue and out of Whipple control. The engineer that codes the Whipple hardware tools is not “in house”
I've come to that conclusion via the comments Whipple CS staff have written in emails.
at Whipple as he works mainly directly with OEMs and he is highly respected in the industry.
I would point out I am not alledging incomptetance, I have no reason to suggest the person who writes the tune file, isn't capable.

From prior firmware and Tier1 OE experience, the engineer needed would have to stop working on whatever codebase or hardware he is working on for an OEM, and switch to searching for that error message in either his code or Fords ECU code just to support one end customer.
I would respectfully suggest if this is Whipple's strategy for tune writing and updates, then this method leaves Whipple at the mercy of when their supplier can find the time to look into an issue, which may not be consistent with a rapid resolution for Whipple customers. This, imo, is why I'm having trouble getting a resolution.

I expect Whipple will work to make this happen even if they lose money on your sale since they have a solid history of constantly pushing for hardware and software improvements.
If they had not seen your issue before, it will take some time to 1. Reproduce the issue, 2. Debug the issue, 3. Get you a hardware or software fix.
I appreciate that, and if Whipple went as far as to explain this to me, I may have exercised more patience. I don't come onto a Forum to publically complain, lightly. But it's got to the point where I feel I've no other alternative.
I need my car running.

Post back pictures of measuring the battery voltage at the terminals, and any still images or videos reproducing the issue to try and provide as much info as possible that anyone else can attempt to reproduce and then provide feedback. Edit: Save any base tune file pulled off the ECU onto your laptop and keep any flash drives in exact conditions of instructions as others have mentioned.
I have already provided backround information to Whipple.

I have run into this battery voltage issue before on prior gen. There are MANY issue with fuel delivery, ignition and ECU where a weak battery will leave you chasing your tail, so you likely want a new battery anyway for a new FI install just to reduce variables.
Cheers.

I, unfortunately, am having the same experience. I have had an issue with their tune since April of this year and here we are going into July with my car still sidelined as I try to get a tuning fix. I think their lack of customer support is terrifying and a shame for people who spend so much money on their systems. I am extremely dissatisfied with the support I have received with this kit. Shame.
I sympathize with your frustration and disappointment.

I see the comments regarding VMP and I've seen the videos of Stangmode's car, which has the Odin kit.
VMP do seem to come across as a company who want to sell and help. If I had my time again......

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Also, I am fearful that if you break the belt on the Whipple kit, (correct me if you know for a fact that I'm wrong) you will lose power steering. The VMP kit runs a separate belt for the SC.
The power steering system is electronic, no power steering pump. The A/C is driven by a small belt on the rear groove of the harmonic balancer. The main belt drives the water pump, alternator and in the case of the Whipple, the blower.

Sponsored

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The power steering system is electronic, no power steering pump. The A/C is driven by a small belt on the rear groove of the harmonic balancer. The main belt drives the water pump, alternator and in the case of the Whipple, the blower.
Yeah, I understand it's electric. But I didn't want to assume just because it's electric that it runs even if the alternator isn't turning. I noticed that when I power it up without starting the engine, the steering does NOT work.

So, I just went out and removed the belt, started it up, and... I can say with 100% certainty, the power steering DOES work without the belt. I feel safer on those twisty canyon roads.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Op is in UK!??
Shit.. If I fly over and sort this all out, can we take a road trip in the car?
How much is the ferry to Isle on Man?
Ill cover first n third set of tires brakes n gas.
Got peeps in Bath.
Wanna do a burnout the whole length of the Champs-Élysées?
Thatd be an appropriate victory lap for getting this fixed.

Drew00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP1
well... if it means anything... I was just about to order a new whipple... after reading this I believe I am going VMP

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Interesting that the Whipple reps on this forum are completely silent in this thread. If this was a thread about what supercharger to buy or debate between Whipple & Procharger, they would be all over it pushing their product. @Whipple SC what gives? Customer service is a big deal and people are spending significant money on your products. These aren't some $100 hood struts some folks are having issues with...
Sponsored