The Whipple "difference"... LOL

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
So...
It seems to have come, to this.
That for a greater good, I might warn other Mustang owners about Whipple super chargers!

It seems, thanks to Whipple, I've been left no other course than to post about my Whipple experience!

Bought & had installed, a Whipple system & initially, all was, well, allbeit, marginal...
Problem was, the Whipple tune lacked real world driveability.

Obviously, going from NA to FI, comparisons can be "subjective".
Subject to the product & the install.
However, this post is about how frustrating Whipple can be when it comes to customer support.

It has been my experience that Whipple are unacceptably slow & casual about supporting customers who spend 5 figure sums of their money on Whipple product.

As in, if you have an issue... Whipple may decide to help, but:
a) don't expect a response which at least lets you know someone is looking into the issue.
b) don't expect a resolution to your Whipple problem!!!

A basic item of the Whipple product has failed, ie, the flash tool.
I raised a help request...
Initially I received the automated confirmation.
2 days later, with no update from Whipple, I contacted them by telephone & was told I'll receive a "fix" tomorrow...
Nothing since...

So now, still with no resolution & a total lack of effective support from Whipple, I feel I might share my experience with the forum & reluctantly warn anyone considering investing in a Whipple S/C to think again.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I am just finishing up my Whipple installation and have found that their customer service is quite good. I've spoken to 3 different people there and have had stellar service from them. Their quality control for kit component packaging is not so good. I had to stop my installation because of 2 critical parts missing and 3 not so critical parts. Anyhow, I called them and told them what was missing and they shipped the parts that day. They should be here tomorrow. I hope you get your issue sorted out.

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I hope you get your issue sorted out.
I appreciate that, thanks.
I hope you enjoy the results of your install & may I say, Kudos to you for doing the install yourself! :thumbsup:

5 figures?
Yes, after purchase & shipping, in the U.K. you're looking at a huge outlay.
Not necessarily Whipple's issue.
But when their flash tool fails & they don't support. Then they have to wear it.
The hardware seems, mostly, up to the job. But a failed flash tool, or a flash tool limited to a few flashes?
No. Not at the price I've paid & not without sufficient support.
As per my initial post.
I have been patient, I've waited, for longer than I was promised.
But I need my car now to get to work & it seems Whipple aren't supporting with the commensurate urgency.

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate that, thanks.
I hope you enjoy the results of your install & may I say, Kudos to you for doing the install yourself! :thumbsup:

Yes, after purchase & shipping, in the U.K. you're looking at a huge outlay.
Not necessarily Whipple's issue.
But when their flash tool fails & they don't support. Then they have to wear it.
The ha

Thanks, much appreciated.I started the installation last Thursday and have been working at a very leisurely pace and I do mean leisurely. I'm on three weeks of vacation, so I'm in no hurry to finish. I did oil pump gears at the same time. I did all of the work solo, the hardest part was placing the blower assembly on the engine.

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Thanks, much appreciated.I started the installation last Thursday and have been working at a very leisurely pace and I do mean leisurely. I'm on three weeks of vacation, so I'm in no hurry to finish. I did oil pump gears at the same time. I did all of the work solo, the hardest part was placing the blower assembly on the engine.
Yes, I purchased the Boundary OPG & crank gear in the 2019 BF sales.
Installing these seems to be a well judged addition to the Whipple system.

I paid a shop to install the Whipple kit & I also added the enhanced heat exchanger.

Proper respect to you for doing the install yourself.
While it was in the shipping box, I felt the weight of the main unit. It's a heavy thing, but seemingly well made.
Pity Whipple's CS doesn't seem to match their Engineering!

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
What exactly happened to the flash device?
Nothing has happened to the device, as far as I can tell. It's been stored in it's box after the initial tune was loaded, in February.

Then recently, again after a bit of chasing I got a file I had requested from Whipple.
Following the process, when I plugged the Tomahawk into the car I got:
"The Programming functions are not available".

I raised a support request via email & anyone who has done this knows you recieve an automated email acknowledgement of your request.
Then, in my experience, I don't hear anything back until some mysterious moment in the future, when an email may arrive, addressing the issue.
Nobody informs you a member of staff has read your request for support and you're left wondering if you'll ever get help.

Anyway, I've no idea why the Tomahawk won't load the file.

For perhaps obvious reasons, I appreciate Whipple aren't going to tell the world how they control their files & tunes & how their loading device operates.
And I don't need to know any of that.
What I expect is for the device to work & if it fails I'd hope the issue would be treated with urgency.

I suppose if the racing season is now taking off in the U.S. this may result in the support department being unusually busy.
But so far, that's just speculation on my part.

Cheers.

Edit:
I received an email on Thursday, telling me I'd have a fix for Friday. Nothing has arrived in my inbox so far, as this issue now rolls into week 2 of waiting for assistance.

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
Supersolo, one quick question. When you are writing the .bin and .ldr files to your sd card. Are you removing all previous files on the sd card? I was looking at the instructions for the Tomahawk tool and that was one thing that it mentioned.

"*Only 1 BIN and LDR file can be stored at a time. Never change the file names, this will cause a conflict with the tool".

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
How old is the battery in your stang?
What is the voltage?
Do you have a battery tender or trickle charger on the car?
Ford ECU setup is VERY tight w battery power consumption and any detecting of low battery voltage can cause various module to go into low battery voltage lockout. This is easily triggered with a 24+ month old battery with lower standby voltage... or, due to the damn daytime or parking lights coming on by default at key on.

Thus, This may be a Ford ECU issue and out of Whipple control. The engineer that codes the Whipple hardware tools is not “in house” at Whipple as he works mainly directly with OEMs and he is highly respected in the industry.
From prior firmware and Tier1 OE experience, the engineer needed would have to stop working on whatever codebase or hardware he is working on for an OEM, and switch to searching for that error message in either his code or Fords ECU code just to support one end customer.
I expect Whipple will work to make this happen even if they lose money on your sale since they have a solid history of constantly pushing for hardware and software improvements.
If they had not seen your issue before, it will take some time to 1. Reproduce the issue, 2. Debug the issue, 3. Get you a hardware or software fix.

Post back pictures of measuring the battery voltage at the terminals, and any still images or videos reproducing the issue to try and provide as much info as possible that anyone else can attempt to reproduce and then provide feedback. Edit: Save any base tune file pulled off the ECU onto your laptop and keep any flash drives in exact conditions of instructions as others have mentioned.

I have run into this battery voltage issue before on prior gen. There are MANY issue with fuel delivery, ignition and ECU where a weak battery will leave you chasing your tail, so you likely want a new battery anyway for a new FI install just to reduce variables.

Last edited:

involutions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Well, I can tell you from my own experience, I don't believe I've ever encountered a company with such frustrating, slow customer service in any industry. And, after nearly 5 months of going back and forth, my car still has a problem. I have not heard back from Whipple since June 3rd, so almost a month.

The fanboys will be here soon to say that since they don't have problems with their kits, you should stop complaining.

Here is a 49 page thread you might (or might not) like:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/whipple-car-runs-bad-tune-issues.95519/

Even if it is racing season, is that an excuse for not giving satisfactory customer service? The supercharger kit was probably one of the largest purchases of a non-business-related item you ever made.

Hopefully they will get you taken care of. Please update if/when that happens.

Last edited:

dltn761

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dalton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
So...
It seems to have come, to this.
That for a greater good, I might warn other Mustang owners about Whipple super chargers!

It seems, thanks to Whipple, I've been left no other course than to post about my Whipple experience!

Bought & had installed, a Whipple system & initially, all was, well, allbeit, marginal...
Problem was, the Whipple tune lacked real world driveability.

Obviously, going from NA to FI, comparisons can be "subjective".
Subject to the product & the install.
However, this post is about how frustrating Whipple can be when it comes to customer support.

It has been my experience that Whipple are unacceptably slow & casual about supporting customers who spend 5 figure sums of their money on Whipple product.

As in, if you have an issue... Whipple may decide to help, but:
a) don't expect a response which at least lets you know someone is looking into the issue.
b) don't expect a resolution to your Whipple problem!!!

A basic item of the Whipple product has failed, ie, the flash tool.
I raised a help request...
Initially I received the automated confirmation.
2 days later, with no update from Whipple, I contacted them by telephone & was told I'll receive a "fix" tomorrow...
Nothing since...

So now, still with no resolution & a total lack of effective support from Whipple, I feel I might share my experience with the forum & reluctantly warn anyone considering investing in a Whipple S/C to think again.
I, unfortunately, am having the same experience. I have had an issue with their tune since April of this year and here we are going into July with my car still sidelined as I try to get a tuning fix. I think their lack of customer support is terrifying and a shame for people who spend so much money on their systems. I am extremely dissatisfied with the support I have received with this kit. Shame.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
All these posts and now I’m not so sure I wanna buy a whipple now. Finally have all the money for a stage 2 kit but damn. Have to re think it now. Didn’t realize whipple customer service was in the same building as Sprint customer service.
Sponsored