nameuser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2, 1969 Chevelle
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a performance package six piston caliper to have powder coated. When trying to get the dust boots off there is rubber left all around the opening. Every video and tutorial shows everything just pull right off with nothing left. I’m not sure if these got melted on but I’ve worked with a pick and a razor and there’s still rubber left with five more pistons to go. Anyone have this happen to them and how did you fix it? First pic is boot and inner seal in place, second is boot with no inner seal, third is both removed with rubber left overs stuck all around.
DDBF514C-9174-4D4F-90A8-720411371B8D.jpeg
2F57B1B8-287F-42CC-A6BB-EE830181DF03.jpeg
387689FD-9504-4C9B-B72B-C48EF89F7B80.jpeg
Sponsored

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Maybe put a blow torch to it and burn it loose?

OP
OP
nameuser

nameuser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2, 1969 Chevelle
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe put a blow torch to it and burn it loose?
That's gonna be my last resort I think. I have some brass wire wheels coming for my dremel. They'll be here sunday so fingers crossed.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
What videos were you looking at?

OP
OP
nameuser

nameuser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2, 1969 Chevelle
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like all of them. No one had this issue even on non-mustang calipers.

Sponsored

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Did you try needle nose pliers or tweezers? Maybe contact the guys at vorshlag, they might have come across this before.

OP
OP
nameuser

nameuser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2, 1969 Chevelle
Vehicle Showcase
That’s where I bought the rebuild kits from. Never thought to ask them. Great idea!

MP2733

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
That’s where I bought the rebuild kits from. Never thought to ask them. Great idea!
Hello! I really hope you see this. I just bought brand new 6 pistons that I’m tearing down to have powdercoated and I’m having the same issues with the seals. How did you end up getting them out? Thanks.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Try shooting compressed air into one of the bleeder holes so the pistons come out. There’s a few YouTube videos on it.

MP2733

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Try shooting compressed air into one of the bleeder holes so the pistons come out. There’s a few YouTube videos on it.
I had no problem removing the pistons. They just popped right out. The seals being stuck in the grooves is what I’m having trouble with.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
From the pics it almost looks like the caliper was overheated and the rubber started to melt and possibly they were rebuilt before and were glued in place

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
I had no problem removing the pistons. They just popped right out. The seals being stuck in the grooves is what I’m having trouble with.
Do you have picks or a skinny flat head screwdriver to pull it off. Maybe heat up the seals to get them rubbery.

MP2733

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
From the pics it almost looks like the caliper was overheated and the rubber started to melt and possibly they were rebuilt before and were glued in place
I just got mine in... “reman” but came straight from ford sealed in ford packaging. I just need to get these out! I want them coated badly. I doubt they would glue it because it’s a consumable parts that needs replacing if torn. I’m hoping OP can respond to let me know what worked for them.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Well if you have the pistons out and haven’t damaged the seals then leave them alone. Since they’re remanufactured the seals should be new. The powder coater won’t need your pistons, just the calipers. Just buy new dust boots and when you get the calipers back from coating then install the pistons yourself.

MP2733

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Well if you have the pistons out and haven’t damaged the seals then leave them alone. Since they’re remanufactured the seals should be new. The powder coater won’t need your pistons, just the calipers. Just buy new dust boots and when you get the calipers back from coating then install the pistons yourself.
If they can’t be removed, then I can’t replace them after powdercoating. I’ve been doing research on whether or not they’re safe to withstand being baked and signs are pointing to yes. I just need to be sure before going ahead with this. If I have them powdercoated and can’t replace the dust boots, I have shiny, expensive paperweights
Sponsored