Wonky back-up camera

SEERED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500-LOUDMOUTH LIME
Has anyone had any issues with their rear camera? I have noticed a couple things, one morning it looked like the screen was loosing packets similar to my crappy DISH signal, pixel stalls and blurring. Then went to what I would call heat waves moving up the screen. I checked the lens and it was tight and clear of obstructions, then wiped it clean. All good for a week or so, kept a close eye on every use and then two days ago a warning popper up very briefly that said something like "camera failure, contact dealer"? It was so quick I could not be sure. Nothing since :question:

Anyone have a similar issue and since I live 2.5 hours north of my dealer and the local Ford guys would try to blame the air freshener as being an aftermarket add on and void my warranty. Then proceed to change the headlight fluid and give it thorough prop wash. :angry:
Sponsored

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
I have the issues you’re describing and am planning on having my dealer replace it under warranty next time I go in for an oil change. It pixelates, blurs and completely goes blank probably 80% of the time.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Mine has cut out and pixelated once or twice but nothing long term or a restart didnt fix

sd45t2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost; GT Hood w/ Turn Signals
Known defect. The wiring harness is being pinched where it goes between the body and the trunk lid. There is a solid plastic tube that protects the harness there and the ends of the tube are very sharp. As you open and close the trunk, they eventually cut the wires. It is simple to remove the protective sleeve and resplice the wires. Many videos on this on You Tube. Also several threads here on the same issue.

This same issue appears on Ford pickup trucks with the camera on the tailgate. More critical there as they use the camera to align the trailer hitch with the trailer. Same repair procedure.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Knock on wood, nuttin' yet honey, but I'mma gonna check that toob. :=) Thanks, SD45..any relation to Colt 45, the firearm or the beer? <smile> Interesting screen name. :-)

Sponsored

Peter733

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
Has anyone had any issues with their rear camera? I have noticed a couple things, one morning it looked like the screen was loosing packets similar to my crappy DISH signal, pixel stalls and blurring. Then went to what I would call heat waves moving up the screen. I checked the lens and it was tight and clear of obstructions, then wiped it clean. All good for a week or so, kept a close eye on every use and then two days ago a warning popper up very briefly that said something like "camera failure, contact dealer"? It was so quick I could not be sure. Nothing since :question:

Anyone have a similar issue and since I live 2.5 hours north of my dealer and the local Ford guys would try to blame the air freshener as being an aftermarket add on and void my warranty. Then proceed to change the headlight fluid and give it thorough prop wash. :angry:
I had to have mine replaced, dealer said that they have had a lot of issues with the 2020 back up cameras on all models

OP
OP
SEERED

SEERED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500-LOUDMOUTH LIME
Bang, I saw your thread from a while back and (Earl) I agree wires get compromised over time and would not think this is my issue because the trunk lid has cycled only a dozen times. Software seems like a more plausible concern.
Voodoo, you said restart, do you mean just stop/start the car or something deeper in the confuser? Is there a TSB yet on the 500's or just a thing. My son said he has had a similar problem on his 2015 50th anniversary GT but I would think wiring on his Mu-tang. We will look at both harness' thanks to Y'all. We will let you know if this hereditary.

Peter, your answer landed as I was working on my reply. How long did they need the car to replace the system?

Peter733

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
Bang, I saw your thread from a while back and (Earl) I agree wires get compromised over time and would not think this is my issue because the trunk lid has cycled only a dozen times. Software seems like a more plausible concern.
Voodoo, you said restart, do you mean just stop/start the car or something deeper in the confuser? Is there a TSB yet on the 500's or just a thing. My son said he has had a similar problem on his 2015 50th anniversary GT but I would think wiring on his Mu-tang. We will look at both harness' thanks to Y'all. We will let you know if this hereditary.

Peter, your answer landed as I was working on my reply. How long did they need the car to replace the system?
They had the car for one day

Tucker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt500 (ordered), 2018 F150 Platinum, 2019 M40i
I am having the same issue. It usually happens at start up and is gone after that.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I guess I'm gonna have to take a closer look at mine. I suppose I haven't noticed anything because my head is on a swivel anytime I'm backing up and only occasionally glance at the display. Old school, I get it...old habits die very hard. :-)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone had any issues with their rear camera? I have noticed a couple things, one morning it looked like the screen was loosing packets similar to my crappy DISH signal, pixel stalls and blurring.
yup, the unit in my brand new MY20 F150 did it the very first time I tried parking after picking it up at the dealer. When it's sick I get out and give the tailgate a solid bang with my fist and it generally cleans up till the next time I hit enough of a bump or didn't slam the tailgate hard enough. I think it's a cold solder joint on the circuit board. Though I won't rule out bad wiring/connector or another bad batch of capacitors. Just open a warranty claim with Ford. I've been waiting 3 weeks for my replacement though.

I suspect it's yet another case of changing suppliers to go even cheaper. And it's coming back to bite FOrd in the ass.

Last edited:

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
I guess I'm gonna have to take a closer look at mine. I suppose I haven't noticed anything because my head is on a swivel anytime I'm backing up and only occasionally glance at the display. Old school, I get it...old habits die very hard. :-)
Same. Lol, I still glance at the display but don’t use it much.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
good god, ignorant apes in the wiring room. you need to use a zip-tie gun to get it that tight. Is the IQ of the workers so low they only have "tighter is righter" on the brain?